John Williams' influences

clairsmith

Hi and welcome @clairsmith.  There are quite a few threads on this topic like this one you might find worth purusing:

Also @Ludwig has a great series on his blog going through themes through various John Williams films from a musical point of view you might find interesting.  https://www.filmmusicnotes.com/john-williams-themes-part-1-the-force-theme/

Generally, yes John Williams is very influenced by both classical  music and popular jazz music.  I find it more than just mimicry but a wide range of influence that he has mastered and can dip and dive into as needed for a scene while having his unique style that transcends those influences. 

33 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Do we have specific citations about when he said Haydn was his favorite, or one of his favorite composers?

He said it in the USC masterclass.  Not sure if that is available anywhere online though.  Classic FM interview he said: "I listen to all kinds of music, a lot of contemporary music and I'm a big fan of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and I love Brahms."

38 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Is there a thread with a list of interviews of JW? Tried searching but couldn't come across one

41 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Thank you, filmmusic! I knew the first one, but had never read the second one, which is very interesting.

21 hours ago, clairsmith said:

Just wondering. With his large resume, was Williams ever inspired by classical composers? 

Of course.  There is even some pieces of his that bare resemblance to certain classical pieces.