Are you sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores?

Jurassic Shark

Are you sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores?

Why think about them, talk about them, start a thread about them then?  Just ignore it.  I reckon there's a lot of shit in the world would bore me to death if I paid any attention.  What would be the point?

No, there are plenty other films to watch, music to listen to, books to read. A year ago I would have said yes (probably). Since I've started my limited cinema membership I realised there is plenty to choose from.

Karol

33 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

It frustrates me because these are resources and talents that could be put toward more worthwhile projects instead of corporate-managed algorithmic schlock.

Those worthwhile projects wouldn't be able to secure funding without big blockbusters. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, just pointing out that even cheap arthouse films are really quite expensive to make.

Karol

Why is it they made normal films in the 1980s without trouble? Films like Rain Man, Three Men and a Baby, Fatal Attraction, Home Alone and Ghost were the biggest movies in their respective years.

Why is it these apocalyptic spectacles seem to be the only ones they can fund and the only ones general audiences want to watch?

42 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

It frustrates me because these are resources and talents that could be put toward more worthwhile projects instead of corporate-managed algorithmic schlock.

Exactly!

1 minute ago, dougie said:

Why is it these apocalyptic spectacles seem to be the only ones they can fund and the only ones general audiences want to watch?

I guess the general audience has gotten dumber.

6 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

So the films like Rain Man, Three Men, Fatal Attraction, Home Alone, and Ghost are still being made - just not by the 6 major studios....

Sure, but those were the biggest movies of their years, but if movies like them are still being made, you hardly hear of them, and they're not attracting huge audiences like the named ones above.

Most definitely, YES!

I was a bit into superhero things as a kid (although even in comic book terms, I veered towards other things instead), but I quickly grew out of it, and especially after the Marvel onslaught in the last two decades. It's even hard for me to keep one apart from the other. They all come together as one big noisefest.

Although there have been a few exceptions. Mostly TV shows like LUKE CAGE, DAREDEVIL and LEGION, which I've enjoyed for various reasons.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yes, but....

This isn't school. Why would you let this bother you? Just don't watch those movies and don't listen to those scores! Problem solved!

I've been applying that solution for years! I was just curious about the opinions of other JWFanners. :)

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've been applying that solution for years! I was just curious about the opinions of other JWFanners. :)

I apply this rule generally in life, not just with movies. 

Food, job, place of residence, girlfriend... 😂 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Just don't watch them, or listen to their scores! Problem solved.

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

6 hours ago, elvisjones said:

My personal opinion is that the 6 big studios (Warner Bros, Paramount, Universal, Disney, Sony and Fox) have all decided they would rather spend $300 million to make $1 billion than spend $10 million to make $100 million.  Therefore, when investing $300 million in the production of a movie, they hedge their bets and rely on built-in audience recognition to help minimize risk of a flop.  On top of that, when they spend that kind of money, they expect the final film to contain a fair amount of spectacle.   On top of THAT, they tend to make hiring decisions that minimize the chances of being blamed for taking a risk, so you see the same names writing, directing, starring in, and scoring these movies.  Put all that together and you get yet another comic book property/old tv show being rebooted/old movie series being rebooted made by the same people who are making everything else.

The mid-level studios (i.e. Lionsgate, Millennium) try and make movies that achieve some aspect of the bigger studio films but cut corners to keep the costs down, usually well under the $100 million budget.  Hence you get movies like Olympus Has Fallen, London Has Fallen, The Hellboy reboot, Red Sonja - directed by people either on their way up to the big 6 studios (James Wan) or on their way down (Bryan Singer).

The low-level studios such as Asylum usually have more creative fare because they need to attract audiences based on high-concept scripts rather than expensive name actors/crew and visual effects.  In these movies you see more innovation than the higher 2 categories.  But they are made under very tight means, with music budgets in the 10's of thousands of dollars rather than 100's of thousands or even millions.

The real place "normal" films are being made is in the independent film scene, TV/internet "networks", and the foreign film market.  Films like Philomena, The Theory of Everything, and The King's Speech, for example, these are are made in Britain outside the mainstream Hollywood system.  In America, a lot of the "normal" films are either independently financed or made for TV (HBO in the 80's and 90's, Amazon and Netflix in the  2000's and later).

In the 70's, Paramount would make and release a film like THE CONVERSATION.  Now that would be a "Made-for-Netflix" movie.  In the 80's, Warner Brothers would make THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST.  Today that would likely be a small film production company like A24 (Room, Moonlight).  90's films like The English Patient would probably be made in England with foreign funding rather than through an American indie like Miramax.

So the films like Rain Man, Three Men, Fatal Attraction, Home Alone, and Ghost are still being made - just not by the 6 major studios....

Quality, quality post right here!!!

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I certainly am.

What you are is pathetic in your need to have a poll to provide you with affirmative in your beliefs. But regardless of your position or the outcome of your poll films like Captain Marvel, Endgame, and Far from Home will do big business negating your poll. Your comments regarding predictability is deliciously hilarious in your ineptness to prove yourself correct.

Sure they'll do big business but will anyone remember them five or ten years from now? Will they make a significant impact on popular culture where they're quoted relentlessly and become regarded as an enduring touchstone of the era? Or will they fade into obscurity and bleed into the rest of their interchangeable cousins? These movies are more ephemeral than ever.

So that means they shouldn't  be made? This whole thread is retarded.  What's next. Sick of Horror films? Lets do a poll about it. Clearly there are more horror films than superhero films jesus fucking Christ thats too many. Oh hell there are going to be about 20 religious faith hased films. There are a load of cartoons coming out. More than superhero films though incredibles 2 was about superheros but it had less quality than the two top ones. Lets not get into all the action and Adventure films. 

He is some simple advise for Jurassic Shark. Don't  got to movies you don't  like. Go to the ones you do, but get a fucking clue no film genre is a predictable as you say nor are the scores. 

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Those worthwhile projects wouldn't be able to secure funding without big blockbusters. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, just pointing out that even cheap arthouse films are really quite expensive to make.

Karol

There was a time when superhero films weren't the only things that sold to the masses. The 90s, and even early 00s just give an example of the kind of variety you had available when you stepped into the average cinema. While yes, there are always lots of different kind of movies being made, one can't help but feel frustrated by the general homogenization of big cinema that the financial security of these bland Marvel flicks have given big studios.

33 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

What you are is pathetic in your need to have a poll to provide you with affirmative in your beliefs. But regardless of your position or the outcome of your poll films like Captain Marvel, Endgame, and Far from Home will do big business negating your poll. Your comments regarding predictability is deliciously hilarious in your ineptness to prove yourself correct.

You really can't handle opinions different from your own. As this poll clearly shows, some people are indeed sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks. Why does that bother you? We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

You really can't handle opinions different from your own. As this poll clearly shows, some people are indeed sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores. Why does that bother you? You're entitled to your own opinion, as we all are.

I can easily but im not the one pathetically trying to prove himself correct. 

As I said earlier I was curious about what the JWFan community thinks about the matter. I've made my own view clear and I was wondering whether others also felt this superhero fatigue. I don't see anything wrong about that.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, you're the person who always claim you're right, without bothering to check if you are.

Unlike you I don't need to make a poll everytime I am challenged. But then Im not a pussy  im an asshole.

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wouldn't make a poll either if I clearly were wrong. But you're right about the latter! :)

Here this is for your vajaja!

download.jpeg.jpg