Sony Music no longer dealing with soundtrack labels [UPDATE: La-La Land is back in]

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The one done for the gigantic Yo-Yo Ma box, also released individually.

I don't think I even knew about that. Is there a reliable review comparing the sound of the two releases?

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think I even knew about that. Is there a reliable review comparing the sound of the two releases?

I can rip it for you and share, if you do the same with the original release. :)

The Geisha OST was also remastered for the same box, and released individually.

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The plot thickens...

How does one distinguish between them?

Do you mean physically? Date of release.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

'Fraid I can't. Copyright and all.

That one was for Marian. I'm aware of your impeccable standards. :)

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you mean physically? Date of release.

71+lTW47rNL._SX522_.jpg

I see it is clearly stated at the bottom of the inlay card ;)

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can rip it for you and share, if you do the same with the original release. :)

Thanks, but no need for either of us: A friend has compared them and says they're identical.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Thanks, but no need for either of us: A friend has compared them and says they're identical.

I don't know what kind of comparison your friend did, but I've compared one of the tracks earlier and can say their frequency spectrums are not identical.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't know what kind of comparison your friend did, but I've compared one of the tracks earlier and can say their frequency spectrums are not identical.

Well, not binary-identical, apparently. But he sent me a FLAC of the first track, and they indeed seem to sound the same. If there's any noticeable difference at all, the overall sound characteristics haven't changed. What this needs is a remix, not a remaster.

Well, that pretty much knocked off the rest of our wish list forever, and the ultimate dick move by Sony after denying us the Star Wars scores properly expanded for 2 decades

So what important unexpanded Williams scores are left that aren't Sony aside from Star Wars?

Again this makes the case to ALWAYS download leaked sessions and store them preciously . I'm 100% happy with Hook is you replace some LLL tracks with the leaked sessions and make a banquet insert edit from the old Concorde boot (ironically it's only bit that sounds perfect on that boot)

For the rest:

Seven Years in Tibet,Angela's Ashes,Book Thief ,War Horse ,Lincoln, and The Post have almost no unreleased music if you count the Oscar Promos.

Biggest loss is The Patriot  andTintin ...#1 and #2 on my wish list after Star Wars and Indy

As disappointing as this news is, I'm happy we got what we got when we got it. Imagine if this had happened ten years ago. No expansions of ST: TMP (other than the 20th anniversary one), ST V, Hook (flawed as it may be), Home Alone, First Knight, Titanic, LLL CE3K, 1941 and countless others.

Fortunately Universal (film studio) seems to have a new impetus to get their stuff out there so the labels can focus their energies on mining that back catalogue at a faster pace than would have been the case

On 09/02/2019 at 1:33 AM, dougie said:

Why does the LLL release of ID4 cite Sony Music on the back cover? The OST was an RCA/BMG release.

Sony owns BMG, who in turn used to own the RCA label along with Arista, Scotti Bros. and many others.

In 2004, Sony and Bertelsmann established a 50-50 joint venture known as Sony BMG Music Entertainment, which transferred the businesses of Sony Music and Bertelsmann Music Group into one entity. However, in 2008, Sony acquired Bertelsmann's stake, and the company reverted to the SME name shortly after; the buyout allowed Sony to acquire all of BMG's labels, and led to the dissolution of BMG, which instead relaunched as BMG Rights Management.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Music

(sorry for citing Wikipedia, I know it's not really a scholarly source)

6 hours ago, Trent B said:

Disney holds the rights to Star Wars now.  So don't count it out of the Prequels getting proper treatments.  We still might get them.

I thought MM had said in London that SW (and Indy) were in the works? Do we honestly think people like MM didn't know about this Sony issue before we found out? I'm sure people took precautions.

49 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I thought MM had said in London that SW (and Indy) were in the works? Do we honestly think people like MM didn't know about this Sony issue before we found out? I'm sure people took precautions.

It's impossible to say. Sony probably made the decision and sent out the letters without any of the boutique labels being aware that things were brewing.

I don't think this will have any impact on potential future SW or Indy releases. Sony was itself a licencee of SW music. Worst case is they may neglect to send whatever materials they hold back to LF (a la Polygram and the SW Anthology box).

Right, but we also still don't know whether they made this decision because they're just tired of bothering with soundtrack expansions, or because they got a little excited about boutique label's revenues and wanted to earn the money themselves.

37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Right, but we also still don't know whether they made this decision because they're just tired of bothering with soundtrack expansions, or because they got a little excited about boutique label's revenues and wanted to earn the money themselves.

They barely break even on most releases, let alone make substantial profits. I highly doubt Sony gives two shits about the film score market. 

21 hours ago, King Mark said:

Biggest loss is The Patriot  andTintin ...#1 and #2 on my wish list after Star Wars and Indy

Wait, The Patriot isn't Sony right?

2 minutes ago, dougie said:

How did The Patriot, a Columbia film, avoid the Sony soundtrack release grip?

Lots of films released by a Sony owned film studio had their OSTs come out on a music label that wasn't owned by Sony. 

And conversely, the Sony music label released plenty of soundtracks to films that were made by non-Sony film studios. 

I know, but other Columbia/TriStar movies aren't so lucky to have a score that found a non-Sony music label. We need to know how The Patriot managed to dodge that one.

Edit: there's no way you could type faster than me.

50 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

It's not as good as ID4 or Godzilla

Does everything always have to be compared? Can't they all be good, just different from one another?

And yes I like them all.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

They barely break even on most releases, let alone make substantial profits. I highly doubt Sony gives two shits about the film score market. 

Um, if they barely make money from a release, why are they still in business?

also, we could do with a list of every OST Sony Music released.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Um, if they barely make money from a release, why are they still in business

You don't become a soundtrack producer or start a niche label because it will make you loads of money.

Its an incredible small, niche market. 

Well, Tadlow owner James Fitzgerald has often said that producing albums for his label is an expensive hobby and that he can only afford to do so because of his other business ventures. 

I'm sure producers like Mike M. do fine, but its an unpredictable, freelance industry. They also do other things apart from soundtrack production.

9 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

All the sudden, it seems so relieving that Disney fully owns the rights of every bit of Indiana Jones and Star Wars.

Someone said that the lost Hook reels were found.

Who said that?

A little bit of good news from Roger (Intrada forums):

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 
Hoping Intrada will give us some good news re titles that "made it through" in time

Roger's reply:

We have two that are still green lit, but the studio side has been a bit slammed so we're still waiting for clearance on that side to get going.

That's encouraging news, so two Intrada releases and two LLL releases still to come. No word from Varese (I think Reivers would come via that label?)

Fingers crossed Hook, a few Horner titles, and some other grails made it in time.