Sony Music no longer dealing with soundtrack labels [UPDATE: La-La Land is back in]

47 minutes ago, crumbs said:

If we get The Patriot at all, it'll be next year for the 20th Anniversary. 

Is this anniversary stuff still a thing? I mean, yeah, the LLL E.T. was released on the 35th anniversary of the movie, Saving Private Ryan was the 20th anniversary and Schindler's List was the 25th anniversary...

But the JP box was released in 2016, 23rd anniversary of the first one and 19th of the second; HP was on the 17th anniversary of PS, 16th of CoS and 14th of PoA; A.I. was on the 14th anniversary; Empire of the Sun on the 27th... Not very round numbers.

I guess if the release coincides with a round number anniversary, so yeah, great, another marketing hook. But if not, there's no problem, people will be buying the box set anyway. Othewise, we would have the JP box on 2018 (25 years later the release of the first movie) and the HP box on 2021 (20th anniversary of PS).

Thinking in terms of anniversaries keeps hope alive!

So, like, Pandora’s box, wasn’t hope the one thing that she managed to keep in there at the end, the one thing that gave humanity a reason to live? (My greek mythology is rusty.) We need a reason to look forward to the future, and that’s what hope is!

LLL Patriot in 2020; I can feel it!

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is this anniversary stuff still a thing? I mean, yeah, the LLL E.T. was released on the 35th anniversary of the movie, Saving Private Ryan was the 20th anniversary and Schindler's List was the 25th anniversary...

Don't forget the CE3K 40th Anniversary. 

Around the time of the ET set Mike said the studio and Williams management approached him specifically because of the approaching anniversary, so studios and Williams' management are cognizant of it. Also, anniversaries align with a reduction in union/licensing fees for some scores, making them financially viable for labels. 

And as someone else pointed out, JP did have a 20th anniversary expansion -- it just had nothing to do with Mike. The LLL JP box eventuated because Mike was asked if he wanted to release a new expansion to tie-in with the JP LTP concerts.

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

At least almost all the important non Indy-SW  expansions got out before this 

if we get the The Patriot then I would be satisfied.

Again, Sony Music has nothing to do with The Patriot

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Don't forget the CE3K 40th Anniversary. 

Around the time of the ET set Mike said the studio and Williams management approached him specifically because of the approaching anniversary, so studios and Williams' management are cognizant of it. Also, anniversaries align with a reduction in union/licensing fees for some scores, making them financially viable for labels. 

And as someone else pointed out, JP did have a 20th anniversary expansion -- it just had nothing to do with Mike. The LLL JP box eventuated because Mike was asked if he wanted to release a new expansion to tie-in with the JP LTP concerts.

And Home Alone 25th, Jaws 40th, Superman 40th...

Time for another LLL, this time recording and amplifying the echoes of the actual sessions in the studio! It doesn't get any better or closer than this, we swear!

I didn't said anniversaries weren't a thing, I just think that they're not mandatory. Otherwise, Matessino would be like "And, with that, we finish our work on the Harry Potter collection. Great job, everyone! Now, we'll just keep this in a locked vault until the first movie completes 20 years since its release".

But I get it, round number anniversaries are the safest way of predicting when an expanded box set will be released. This year will mark the 30th of Born on the Fourth of July, so maybe that's the big Williams release of the year? It is also the 45th of The Towering Inferno and Earthquake, 35th of The River, 30th of Always and 15th of The Terminal.

It is the 25th of Legends of the Fall too, which could have been celebrated with an expansion. Thanks, Sony!

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But I get it, round number anniversaries are the safest way of predicting when an expanded box set will be released.

We don't always have much to work with, so it's one of the better ways to predict what might be coming. SPR 20th was probably the release that made us pay more attention to anniversaries.

As you pointed out, the majority of MM's recent expansions have been unrelated to anniversaries (11 to 7 over the last 5 years). Expansions that coincided with LTP concerts have been factors as well (these have all been expanded except Raiders & SW 4-9). It's an easy pitch to Williams: "Hey John, this score has a live concert coming up next year. Wouldn't it be great if we got an expansion out with your original intentions for the score, without all the edits heard in the film version?"

Another reason is studios often remaster old movies for anniversaries on new formats (4K) which sometimes means a new sound mix. So labels can piggyback off a studio spending money scanning the scoring masters anew.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I didn't said anniversaries weren't a thing, I just think that they're not mandatory. Otherwise, Matessino would be like "And, with that, we finish our work on the Harry Potter collection. Great job, everyone! Now, we'll just keep this in a locked vault until the first movie completes 20 years since its release".

I think they release them as fast as they can once they get all the approvals, just in case someone changes their mind

These companies are tiny.  Once investing money into a project (paying for the license, paying for transfers), of course they want a return on that investment as soon as possible. 

It doesn't have as much to do with an entity "changing their mind" as it has to do with literally needing to release a product people will buy so money comes in so you can begin the next project.

I could be wrong but this may be one of the two Intrada Sony Music releases we have left:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=136760&forumID=1&archive=0

On 2/11/2019 at 11:26 AM, JTWfan77 said:

A little bit of good news from Roger (Intrada forums):

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 
Hoping Intrada will give us some good news re titles that "made it through" in time

Roger's reply:

We have two that are still green lit, but the studio side has been a bit slammed so we're still waiting for clearance on that side to get going.

Edit: Yavar confirmed its a Mainstream title not Sony, so still two Intrada Sony titles left.

• 6 months later...
On 2/17/2019 at 4:02 AM, Þekþiþm said:

Glory days are over. Say hello to the miserable and depressing 2020s.

This is a disturbingly prescient post for many reasons that have nothing to do with soundtracks.

I had forgotten that Roger from Intrada also said they had 2 approved before the letter went out

We have two that are still green lit, but the studio side has been a bit slammed so we're still waiting for clearance on that side to get going.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=80972#p80972

The only title they've put out since then licensed from Sony Music was John Barry's King Rat in August 2019

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11967/.f

So they have one more coming too, on top of LLL's two

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only title they've put out since then licensed from Sony Music was John Barry's King Rat in August 2019

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11967/.f

So they have one more coming too, on top of LLL's two

Mainstream owns King Rat, they purchased their catalogue back from Sony. So Intrada has two SM titles still due, along with LLLs two.

That's interesting, and a bit confusing. The back cover only mentions Mainstream:

media.nl?id=29851&c=ACCT67745&h=cb83abc0

And of course I can't find Yavar's comment about Mainstream purchasing back their catalogue anywhere.

*facepalm*

Edit: actually, the press release only makes mention of the prior CD release on Sony Legacy, it does not indicate which entity currently has ownership of the title.

So there are presumably still four possible chances for Hook to be released, unless another label got access before the door closed (Varese is the only one that I think could have potentially).

Kritzerland had also gotten into Sony before this happened, but I think their reissue of Jerome Moross's The Cardinal (first time on CD from the original tapes, and in great sound) last year was the final Sony title from them. Bruce Kimmel mentioned he had others on his to-do list, but I don't think he'd actually licensed them in time. As it was, he apparently had to fight tooth and nail to make The Cardinal still happen.

And I don't remember making that claim about Mainstream owning all of their original catalogue again, but I am fairly certain it is true. Intrada has been releasing bunches of their albums from the original tapes for the first time.

Yavar

Yes, I've searched everywhere for that comment (FSM, Intrada and here) but cannot find it, the only reason I even remember it is because I referenced you in my post about it shortly after King Rat was announced. Perhaps I imagined it, who knows? It isn't the first time my memory has failed me.

The fact that Mainstream releases Intrada's expansions and remasters digitally gives me hope that Sony Music has no further rights to their catalogue, which is a roundabout way of saying there are still two possible Intrada releases that may be Hook.