The THE BANGLES Thread

Naïve Old Fart

@Richard you made my day.    We needed this!

This is gonna be the first thread I follow.

25 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

I've been digging the bassline in this track:

Quite agree with the bassline, @SteveMc.  The bassline is more than a bassline.

Guitar work is nice too. Especially after the first chorus.

4 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

Guitar work is nice too. Especially after the first chorus.

The guitar work is probably a session player, as producer David Khane was not really a fan of Vicki's playing.

But, the bassline is Steele's without a doubt.  It has a lot going or it.  Great example of Steele's melodic and harmonic invention.  

Ah, yes, one of my favorites.  The band was really a unit here, vocally speaking.  Only #27 on the charts at the time, but still a pretty fresh song if you ask me.

Anyone else think Tom Petty’s “Don’t Come Around Here No More” could of used the Bangles.

Try to imagine (especially Steve) the Bangles in place of some of the female vocals here.

(official video of the song is awful by the way)

3 hours ago, Ii2 said:

Anyone else think Tom Petty’s “Don’t Come Around Here No More” could of used the Bangles.

Try to imagine (especially Steve) the Bangles in place of some of the female vocals here.

(official video of the song is awful by the way)

This harmonies in this song are indeed reminiscent of The Bangles.  In fact, The Bangles (minus Steele) performed this song with Petty on at least one occasion.

Petty was a fan.  I don't know if you have heard this other song, which was intended for Petty's album Full Moon Fever, actually featuring The Bangles on backup vocals. 

On 2/15/2019 at 6:44 PM, SteveMc said:

Petty was a fan.  I don't know if you have heard this other song, which was intended for Petty's album Full Moon Fever, actually featuring The Bangles on backup vocals. 

I listened to that one.  Shows the Bangles were good with Tom.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, Ii2 said:

I searched for Official Bangles Forum and I came upon this.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/returnpost/

What ya make of it?

Has been pretty much a dead board, but it looks like there has been a little uptick in activity as of late.  It would seem they have had management problems.  I elaborated in my "Towards The Creation" thread.

In other news, today is Bangles Day, or at least was back in the day.

D0GjhYnVsAA6lNL.jpg:large

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Has been pretty much a dead board

Ha!

Mostly it has become a political hub.

Threads about Trump, threads and posts about Obama, poof!

A couple of new Bangles videos.

This is a cleaned up concert recording of Steele's unreleased song "Happy Man Today."  A fan favorite.

And this is a concert recording from a British radio broadcast from a couple of years earlier, back before the synths really kicked in.

Both videos brought to you by the purveyor of https://banggothebangles.com/, who has written an excellent article about the band's early years.

https://medium.com/@rachel_macari/theres-more-than-meets-the-eye-to-the-bangles-9bfdb968ec2e

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Geez! It's either Kate Bush, the female singer from DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS, or the longhaired one, from BANANARAMA.

@Richard its Micki Steele.

So, what exactly was that Steve and Steef conversation all about today?

36 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

So, what exactly was that Steve and Steef conversation all about today?

I might have to talk to Jay about it.  He made insinuations about me that I am quite upset about.

I watched the videos.:)

"Happy Man" is interesting and its amazing that the Bangles were almost identical live and in the studio!

"Going Down To Liverpool" is especially well done live.

Basically a Michael Steele solo song.  Was a minor hit in Ireland, and with critics everywhere.  Completely different from anything else the band has ever done.  Striking both musically and poetically.  Steele plays the guitar part herself here.

Poetic and somewhat puzzling.

It does have a small resemblance to some Irish music.

As for the critics, you know them;)

Yes, I am one of them!  

Not really.

But, as for the point of the song, it reflects a passage from the novel "The Forsyte Saga," but Steele keeps things rather ambiguous.