The THE BANGLES Thread

Naïve Old Fart

On 3/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, SteveMc said:

An unreleased demo from Susanna Hoffs.  Perhaps intended for her 1994 solo album that was shelved by Columbia.

Man!   I really like it!!  Why wasn't it released?

Very nice melody.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ii2 said:

Why wasn't it released?

The record company (Columbia) had a bit of a grudge against her after her first solo record flopped.  Management around her convinced Columbia that Hoffs would be more popular on her own than with The Bangles, contributing to the band's breakup.  The suits were wrong, and they took it out on Hoffs.

A pity, as, by all accounts, the follow-up record she was working on was going to be a winner.  I believe that Columbia still has it somewhere in their vaults.  Hopefully it will surface someday.

On that note, I do recommend that you give Hoffs's 2012 solo album Someday a listen.  Top notch stuff. 

21 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

On that note, I do recommend that you give Hoffs's 2012 solo album Someday a listen.  Top notch stuff. 

Raining is very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

From the proverbial vault of Bangles related rarities, here is a quite good song from LA power pop outfit Elton Duck.  Band member Michael Steele, pre-Bangles, is on bass and backup vocals. 

This song has really been growing on me.  A Michael Steele penned and sung rock track.  Her Bowie impression near the end is quite good.  Clever, energetic, it really should have been released as a single, and definitely before Eternal Flame.  But, of course, the suits had other ideas.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

WHAT HAVE I DONE?! WHY? WHY?!

Common, Richard.

What's the worst you can do.  In fact, maybe these future generations could learn about the Bangles ;)

tsk tsk tsk

Anyway, on this date back in '89 Eternal Flame hit #1 in the States.

Great song with a rather unique structure and some great vocals all around.  Some fans feel that this should have been a Susanna solo song, but, actually, it works because of how her performance blends with the others' harmonies.  I still have reservations about the opening keyboard sound, though, and I can't but help wish they went for real strings.    

1 hour ago, pete said:

Had no idea Manic Monday was written by Prince until I did a cover of the song a couple of years ago. I like this acoustic version:

Ah, yes, from their early 2000s comeback.  Good stuff indeed.  Story goes that Prince gave them the song because he had a (unrequited) thing for Susanna.  The media ate it up, and of course management was very pleased.  

Anyway, Here is Eternal Flame from 2001

8 hours ago, Richard said:

The Bangles were on The Tube?! I didn't think that was Holland and Yates' style. Ho, hum.

The Tube followed their rise from the very start. There was a good deal of expectations for the group from those who were keen on finding new, unique acts.

42 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

'86 or '87, I'd wager. 

Their fashion sense got out of hand after late '87.

I see what you mean.

2B85FCDE-79E1-4450-B118-1EE8DE306F14.jpeg

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Upon reflection, perhaps it is Hoffs indeed.

Yeah. Definitely.

46 minutes ago, Richard said:

Stop the press! Who's that?! Hey, Zeus, marimba! A girl like that could put steam in a man's strides! 

I'm of a mind to make some mookie. Heh, heh, heh...phone book.

That's Susanna Hoffs.  She's the rhythm guitarist that's singing with The Bangles.

(this is a pic from early in the 80s, pretty soon after she joined.)

I found a Bangles subreddit.

Just lying there.  Latest post was 9 days ago.

But I joined anyways I guess maybe for fun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheBangles/

Just found out that the "EthanSVG" guy who was on the abandoned Bangles Forum posts on the Reddit.  

Seems like a good fan.

4 hours ago, Ii2 said:

I found a Bangles subreddit.

Just lying there.  Latest post was 9 days ago.

But I joined anyways I guess maybe for fun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheBangles/

Just found out that the "EthanSVG" guy who was on the abandoned Bangles Forum posts on the Reddit.  

Seems like a good fan.

EthanSVG is more than a good fan.  He created r/TheBangles and has been working on it for quite awhile.  He's putting the finishing touches on it, and should let it go officially live next week!  I've been in the loop, but he asked me to keep it under wraps until now.  Should be a hopping place! 

15 hours ago, SteveMc said:

EthanSVG is more than a good fan.  He created r/TheBangles and has been working on it for quite awhile.  He's putting the finishing touches on it, and should let it go officially live next week!  I've been in the loop, but he asked me to keep it under wraps until now.  Should be a hopping place! 

It will be like a forum!