Williams' scariest music?

karelm

There are a few instances of jump scare moments with sudden wild brass playing I can recall in Spielberg movie scores:

- Jaws when the shark pops out of water and the rope is pulled from Quint's hands

- Indiana Jones II when his hand pops out of the spike death chamber and Willie screams

- Minority Report when the precog girl pops out of the tub

"Barry's Abduction" and Images were exactly what came to mind for me when I saw this thread title.

Other flavors of "scary" can be found with Voldemort's theme in the Dark Forest, the TOD sacrifice music, the melting music from Raiders, etc.

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

CE3K, it took me 30 years to learn to love this score, I was afraid of it!

In 1977, it took me approximately 40mins to realise he'd never compose a better score.

I am yet to be proven wrong.

Other candidates for me, in addition to "Barry's Abuction" and "The Killing of Marcel" (those two are in a kind of class of their own in terms of sheer visceral discomfort), are:

"The Temple of Doom" from THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

"The Shooting of Wilson" from BOT4OJ

"Thwarted Wedding" from JANE EYRE (at about 0:25; I always jump sky high)

"Last Night at Wilkinson" from SLEEPERS (not really 'scary' per se, but some of the darkest "real life" film scenes JW has done, SCHINDLER'S LIST notwithstanding)

"The Raptor Attack" from JURASSIC PARK

"Apparition on the Train" from HARRY POTTER 3

Bits and pieces from WAR OF THE WORLDS

Bits and pieces from the flute concerto

A cue or two from LOST IN SPACE

Who does scary music better?  JW or Corigliano?  Neither?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

In 1977, it took me approximately 40mins to realise he'd never compose a better score.

I am yet to be proven wrong.

I think one of the reasons why CETK is the seminal film score of JW is because it traverses so many tones and moods so effortlessly and succinctly. 

Mystery->fear->terror->soul searching->mystery->adventure->wonder and awe!

Few if any works have ever done this so effectively (including classical masterpieces but I can think of a few).

In addition to "Barry's Kidnapping" and most of Images, I suggest:

-6:56-7:29 of "The Mecha World (extended version)" from A.I.

-the "confession" track from Presumed Innocent (more skin-crawling dread than jump scares)

5 hours ago, karelm said:

I say Barry's Kidnapping is the scariest music JW has composed.  Did he ever write anything scarier?

No.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

"The Temple of Doom" from THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

When Indy is forced to drink the potion and goes mad in that candle room - that is pretty scary too - and it sounds so evil!

6 hours ago, Thor said:

The Raptor Attack" from JURASSIC PARK

That's actually the first that came to mind for me, then the Jaws theme. 

Finding Orca from Jaws 2 features some scary music too. By the way, does anybody know how that sound effect (?) at 2:48 was achieved, when it sounds like air is leaking from the air tanks...? So effective! 

Some great examples here. "Barry's Kidnapping" is clearly the bar to beat.

But I think this some of the most frightening material of Williams career:

"Shooting of Wilson" (BOTFJ) is also scary as hell.

And parts of A.I., HP3 and WotW come to mind as well.

4 hours ago, karelm said:

Who does scary music better?  JW or Corigliano?  Neither?

Corigliano. No contest.

I mean, come on:

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

That's actually the first that came to mind for me, then the Jaws theme. 

Finding Orca from Jaws 2 features some scary music too. By the way, does anybody know how that sound effect (?) at 2:48 was achieved, when it sounds like air is leaking from the air tanks...? So effective! 

It almost sounds to me like an actual whistle (like a police whistle) but that the player is only lightly blowing just enough air to create the wind effect without producing an actual tone.

27 minutes ago, KingPin said:

It almost sounds to me like an actual whistle (like a police whistle) but that the player is only lightly blowing just enough air to create the wind effect without producing an actual tone.

Yeah, I don't think this is an actual instrument. At the very least, it could have been done with a synthesiser.  But I agree, it sounds more like an actual whistle or something similar.

Wonder how JW marked this in the written score.....

I always thought The Compys! was a pretty grotesque cue, very disturbing (especially the music that underscores Dieter desperately crawling over the log as dozens of compys follow him over and we hear only his screams and chirping). The brass writing there is particularly horrific (especially those stabs at 1:11).

0:50 onwards. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:04 PM, KingPin said:

I don't know about any whistles in JAWS 2, but Williams employs a "gym whistle" in IMAGES, pr. the aforementioned "The Killing of Marcel".

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I don't know about any whistles in JAWS 2, but Williams employs a "gym whistle" in IMAGES, pr. the aforementioned "The Killing of Marcel".

That is really sick. I mean, the effect is rather disturbing.

• 1 month later...

Aside from Barry's Kidnapping...

The raptor material from JURASSIC PARK

The Miracle of the Ark from RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

The Temple of Doom from TEMPLE OF DOOM

Most of War of the Worlds 

...come to mind.

I'd say The Miracle of the Ark came to mind first. Such suspense, and the brass builds in a terrifying way. Also some neat orchestration with the percussion; I believe I can hear a woodblock, among other things.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, crumbs said:

That entire sequence is utter nightmare fuel. Williams did good. 

It is very noticeable that the music does not explode at once, when the tripod starts shooting, but instead we have a classic suspenseful build-up.

I want a complete presentation with more of that eerie underscore from the basement scenes.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, Bespin said:

CE3K, it took me 30 years to learn to love this score, I was afraid of it!

I’m serious, I was afraid of everything that were related to aliens, well, except Star Wars, because there was no aliens in Star Wars, just puppets (hahaha).

I was also afraid of the song Funky Town because I though it was sang by aliens!

Well, these are things hard to explain... Born in 74... that’s it!

I made terrible nightmares because of this LP cover that I saw at my grand parents house!

3A51FBEE-D760-44F3-AB5F-37C8A5F5C53F.jpeg

• 1 year later...