Am I Alone? Infinity War Is The Worst MCU OST.

Jedi767

I noticed the 1st viewing of Infinity War (a movie which I think is awesome) that the soundtrack was abysmal. Had it been scored by someone who actually cared, I feel the movie would've been elevated to something far more incredible. Hard to have an incredible movie with a soundtrack this bad. 

I always thought the online groups / forums would agree, but there seems to be some crazy fanboy blind eye witchcraft going on when it comes to this soundtrack. Not only is it the worst of all 3 Avengers films soundtracks (totally throwing away the excellent themes created in Age Of Ultron), I believe it is the worst MCU soundtrack of all time. 

Its just background music.

Can you name 3 excellent songs on this OST you can listen to over and over that come close to some of the great themes found elsewhere in the MCU... 

Sorry, I've bottled this up for almost a year now and I cant stand seeing the nonstop praise for one of the worst soundtracks to a comic film - ever. 

I liked the score, though you are definitely not alone with your opinion that you feel it is an underwhelming effort. I see more criticism than praise for it on this site.

2 minutes ago, John said:

I liked the score, though you are definitely not alone with your opinion that you feel it is an underwhelming effort. I see more criticism than praise for it on this site.

That's good to hear. An incredible score could have truly elevated that film. Bryan Tyler / Danny Elfman should've been brought back. Or Literally anyone else.

It's weird because Winter Soldier is one of the best MCU OST's, then Civil War & Infinity War are the 2 worst. Strange to see the Russo Bro's royally screw up their soundtracks after such a hit.

Personally, I think Infinity War was a good score. My disappointment comes from what it could've been and simply wasn't. 

Silvestri had had the chance to, with this grand culmination of sixty plus superheroes coming together in one film, create a grand Wagnerian opera. Many of these characters had pre-existing themes which were very much at his disposal, yet the lack of grand thematic material takes away much of the interest of the score. It really could've been an epic motif festival, and the exploration of this possibility may have been to much to collect for Silvestri. I'm not sure if another composer could've done it to perfection, but they certainly could've given it a shot.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Personally, I think Infinity War was a good score. My disappointment comes from what it could've been and simply wasn't. 

Silvestri had had the chance to, with this grand culmination of sixty plus superheroes coming together in one film, create a grand Wagnerian opera. Many of these characters had pre-existing themes which were very much at his disposal, yet the lack of grand thematic material takes away much of the interest of the score. It really could've been an epic motif festival, and the exploration of this possibility may have been to much to collect for Silvestri. I'm not sure if another composer could've done it to perfection, but they certainly could've given it a shot.

Thank you! Written much better than I could have ever hoped to. 

It's so sad that he's the one doing End Game. We're going to see the end of these characters we've been with for over 10 years (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor), and the music will surely just be more background phone-it-in crap. Would have been cool to bring in Henry Jackman, Bryan Tyler, Danny Elfman, Giacchino, and (I guess) Silvestri all to collaborate on End Game - the most epic ensemble film of all time.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm sure Silvestri will still write a good score for End Game. It just won't be what we would hope for given the opportunity.

Just out of curiosity (maybe I'm being too harsh on Infinity War) - what would you consider a bad score from a recent blockbuster?

45 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm not sure if another composer could've done it to perfection, but they certainly could've given it a shot.

40 minutes ago, Jedi767 said:

Would have been cool to bring in Henry Jackman, Bryan Tyler, Danny Elfman, Giacchino, and (I guess) Silvestri all to collaborate on End Game - the most epic ensemble film of all time.

Bring in whatever or however many composers you want, you're not going to get what you're after because the Russo's specifically said they didn't think it was the right direction to have a score crowded with all the characters' themes.

3 hours ago, Knox Harrington said:

Bring in whatever or however many composers you want, you're not going to get what you're after because the Russo's specifically said they didn't think it was the right direction to have a score crowded with all the characters' themes.

Not crowded per se, but at least some decent thematic material inclusion beyond what was achieved with the final product.

The Best Scores of the MCU are :

Captain America - The First Avenger, Avengers, Avengers - Infinity War, Ant-Man and Black Panther.

I really love every minutes of all this scores. After, they are them who are great themes or pieces but the score are not entierely good like Doctor Strange, Homecoming or Iron Man 3.

17 hours ago, Jedi767 said:

It's weird because Winter Soldier is one of the best MCU OST's

oh lawd have mercy

Now I want to rank 'em. Split into phases:

Phase 1

Good: Thor 1, Captain America 1

Average: The Incredible Hulk, Avengers 1

Bad: Iron Man 1

Never seen/heard: Iron Man 2

Phase 2

Good: Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Avengers 2

Average: Guardians 1, Ant-Man 1

Bad: Captain America 2

Phase 3

Good: Doctor Strange, Spider-Man 1, Thor 3

Average: Guardians 2, Black Panther, Avengers 3

Bad:

Never seen/heard: Captain America 3, Ant-Man 2

Best of the best: idk, none are great

Worst of the worst: Captain America 2. Absolute trash, Brock.

I disagree generally, as i think the score is wonderful.  I also think it may have been purposely understated, with hopes Endgame brings what everyone was expecting re: big themes, etc.  

Elfman's been boring and generic since the mid-2000s. I just can't get excited about anything the guy does these days.

Silvestri's at least maintained his signature harmonic characteristics and has successfully adapted them to meet the demands of modern action/adventure cinema. It might not always necessarily make for great listening on CD - he needs better album production to get the most from his scores.

23 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Marvel wouldn't allow it.

I think Silvestri delivered the score that the producers/directors asked for.

I think the score was kinda unimportant in this movie in a weird way. I remember only one thing - and that is the memorable explosion of the main theme when Thor joins the battle but that's it.

16 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think the score was kinda unimportant in this movie in a weird way. I remember only one thing - and that is the memorable explosion of the main theme when Thor joins the battle but that's it.

Exactly. The rest (besides a moment when Thor is taking the heat of the sun) is just useless background that could have been created by any random amateur.

Sad to see Silvestri go from something like Back To The Future to Infinity War. I do feel he has lost his touch. Sure the directors might have had something to do with the awful OST, but being the veteran he is he could have stepped up and said 'no, here is what you want & why'. 

What's frustrating is this was just Part 1 of an awful soundtrack. We're 2 months away from getting Part 2, which will likely be just as awful even though the film is even more epic.

16 hours ago, Jedi767 said:

being the veteran he is he could have stepped up and said 'no, here is what you want & why'. 

That's not how it works, almost ever. He is getting paid to do a job - if his employers want him to do a non-intrusive score, then that's what he's gonna do. It's literally what his job is.

03EEB72B-CEAD-432B-AACB-1BABA23E1D80.jpeg

Let me put it this way, Mr. Drax. The Silvestri series is the most reliable film scoring computer ever made. No Silvestri computer has ever made a mistake or distorted a musical note. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

16 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I remember only one thing - and that is the memorable explosion of the main theme when Thor joins the battle but that's it.

That, and the ominous brass textures surrounding Thanos. That's all that's there to be gleaned from this score.

Although by the standards of Marvel scores (Silvestri's previous effort notwithstanding) that's not too bad.

23 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Silvestri has always been boring and generic. Elfman has always been brilliant, ok, or boring, but never generic.

Predator 2 is better than anything in the world, not including John Williams.