John Williams Film Night Tributes Concerts in Boston - May 29 - May 31, 2019

Andrej

As usual, Boston Pops announced their Spring Pops Season in Group Section.

According to this material, there will be 3 John Williams Film Night Tributes Concerts on May 29-May 31 in Boston (Symphony Hall). All three concerts will be conducted by Keith Lockhart. Unfortunately there is no clear info on John’s presence during the concerts, no „special guest„ announcement neither.

My assumption is, that JW might not be there after all, but this is just a guess…

Source: http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/images/groups/SPOPS19_Brochure_Jan16.pdf

JOHN WILLIAMS

FILM NIGHT

TRIBUTES

Keith Lockhart, conductor

Wednesday, May 29, 8pm

Thursday, May 30, 8pm

Friday, May 31, 8pm

Experience the awe and excitement of cinema’s greatest music featuring the scores of the world’s most beloved film composer, the Boston Pops’ own John Williams. Led by Keith Lockhart, these magical evenings will also include

music from the latest Star Wars film and selections performed live to film excerpts.

SPOPS19_Brochure_Jan16.pdf

Yep.. I saw this just in time for the Tanglewood on sale date yesterday.

Got my ticket for Tanglewood on Parade, the only concert of 2019 where Maestro Williams is confirmed to conduct at least one or two pieces.

Wishing him all the best for his recovery, and Star Wars 9!

On 2/11/2019 at 10:57 PM, Foxfan said:

Got my ticket for Tanglewood on Parade, the only concert of 2019 where Maestro Williams is confirmed to conduct at least one or two pieces.

I thought about getting a ticket for that myself, but it's a rather meagre programme to justify a trip to America, especially with the level of Williams's involvement being (I believe) still unknown. And who knows what happens until then. Even if it's just a scheduling conflict with Ep9, I wouldn't be all too surprised if Williams ended up not conducting this at all.

The program is not complete yet. There are some Pops selections as well (one year KL conducted the JFK suite), and the concert ends with both the TMC (student) orchestra joining forces with the BSO for a supersized rendition of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, with live canons on the lawn.

• 4 months later...

Is someone will try to record it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Williams' Film Night Tribute with the Boston Pops

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/post/john-williams-film-night-tribute-boston-pops#stream/0

Sunday night at 7 on WCRB In Concert with the Boston Pops,

it's a celebration of the legendary film composer, with selections from his iconic movie scores.

Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 7:00 PM

Recorded May 31, 2019 at Symphony Hall

This week on WCRB In Concert with the Boston Pops, Keith Lockhart leads a program devoted to music by the legendary John Williams, with selections that range from the sheer terror of Jaws to the transportive magic of Star Wars and Harry Potter!

Boston Pops, Keith Lockhart, conductor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to succeed to record the live stream through Audacity and JDownloader.

Hooooolllly crap, I totally forgot about these concerts!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Looks like they played a piece from Nixon!  Very nice.

https://archives.bso.org/Detail.aspx?UniqueKey=86864

Hell yeah, the Turbulent Years! Is the opening of the floodgates for cool Williams selections that haven't been played hundreds of thousands of times over the years in concerts? 

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah, the Turbulent Years! Is the opening of the floodgates for cool Williams selections that haven't been played hundreds of thousands of times over the years in concerts?

It's been Lockhart's thing  to include at least a couple seldom played cues for a few years now!  Hence the Lights Camera Music album.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's been Lockhart's thing  to include at least a couple seldom played cues for a few years now!  Hence the Lights Camera Music album.

True. I guess I'm just waiting for the flood, the rushing waves. 

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The played The Turbulent Years several times this year, I think.  I went to the Star Wars In Concert show this year (I didn't make it to Film Night) and the program book included the other concerts that week; I forget which show it was (it wasn't a Film Night concert) but I did notice that selection from Nixon on that night's set list.

• 2 months later...

This is probably something only I pay attention to, but... why does Lockhart sound completely different than he did at the BBC Prom? Did he have a cold or something in London? I barely recognise him.