Open minds

thestat

Sorry, used a Jerry tag to get you in here. I used to despise Junk XL. I hated everything the guy did, except the end credits to The Dark Tower which is an awesome combination of Broughton and Zimmer,.

Mortal Engines - man, Peter Jackson sure has a way to make intelligent people re-assess artists. I mean Shore in 2000 was a difficult art composer, melody and Shore did not meet often. But when they did, they were beautiful, Big or The Yards. And then of course LOTR

I thought, Junkie was literally Junk. I hated that drone brass sound he uses. But then Mortal Engines came along. Yes, it's Pope in the massive orchestra but it's also so frigging junkie in melody and style. And have a go at that Brimstone tutorial. Or Becoming a Tomb Raider, or any of the cues from Mortal Engines

Listen, I geek out at Joel McNeely doing a brass blast in Orville - I'd orgasm at a McNeely Star Wars score, a real one. But hey ho, I recommend my sir Junkie to both Dune and Avatar. If you don't like it have have a listen to Battle Angel Alita.

My favourite: have a go at The Warrior Within, and listen to from 2:17 - 2:30, and for older folks is there a Harry Sukman reference in there earlier?

3 minutes ago, thestat said:

Sorry, used a Jerry tag to get you in here. 

That's okay mate. I approve.

I'm not a fan of Junkie, but he shouldn't be pushed to the back. I cannot really comment further.

I think it's taken Holkenborg some time to find his voice in an orchestral, symphonic soundscape, and breakaway from the giant shadow of Zimmer. I too thought his Mortal Engines score was a step up from his usual stuff, and hopefully it's only a stepping stone to more nuanced orchestration.

Awesome, that's exactly my perspective on old Junk'o! But he is really hitting his stride with Mortal Engines and Battle Angel, I do hope he gets both Avatar and Dune, he is the most interesting composer working right now.

I mean I love Silvestri and JNH but yeah, a Junk score would be awesome. Sorry......

Der Junk is arguably more creative than, say, a Silvestri. We know what Alan's score to Avatar would sound like and that opening cue to Ready Player One did no one any favours, least of Cameron. JNH is the next big baby. A man of so-so-so-so-so many talents. We all know the JNH sound, but for the industry he is a man of interchangebility.

So yeah, let's find someone new. Bring back Trevor Jones or just get the old Junk on. Balfe is a cheap approximation. Balfe is the McScore industry - cheap and cheeerful. Good for Free Willy 7 but not so great for anything else. Who hires Balf.........

McBalfe - an extinct piece of what what........

Well, for all our sakes, let's hope we get a Mission Impossible by Junkie. Anything by the Balfe is a joke.

I heard a small bit of music from Mortal Engines and was not impressed. My problem with his music is that it sounds like generic "trailer" music. Listen to the music is the recent Star Wars trailer for example, that is basically what JXL's music sounds like and I can't stand it. It's like a sound effect designer who has severe ADHD just discovered how to use a music sequencing program.

This thread is what is known in the media as 'gaslighting'.

I kid! I kid!

He's not total and absolute junk but he at least gives a good impression of it. But sure, I will give him a chance. I actually have liked some of his work in the past. Haven't tried any of us new stuff but am willing to try.

31 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This thread is what is known in the media as 'gaslighting'.

I was going to post about this in the Per Peeves thread that this word has become the new "in the wake of" - an obnoxious buzzword that suddenly makes journalists feel like they're pop psychology majors.

Agreed, but I am less keen on Greenwood. Goldenthal absolutely yes, he is my first choice in fact for both Dune and Avatar (and for many projects in general).

I have a feeling it will be Zimmer for both Dune and Avatar, or at the very least one of them. 

25 minutes ago, Romão said:

I think Zimmer might be too busy with Nolan's next to tackle Dune, but that depends on Dune's release date

That's what he has Benjamin Wallfisch around for!

Goldenthal would be amazing for Dune. But that's not going to happen.

But yes, I too hope JXL doesn't get Dune.

I think Cameron's gotta go with a composer who does symphonic melodic scoring after working with Horner.

I think JNH might get Avatar or even Powell after Solo.

Even Ludwig Göransson might be a contender.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

I was going to post about this in the Per Peeves thread that this word has become the new "in the wake of" - an obnoxious buzzword that suddenly makes journalists feel like they're pop psychology majors.

Me personally? I would say I have a positive interpretation of the word even though I know journalists use it in the negative sense.

I think it is an extraordinary skill if done well.

12 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Me personally? I would say I have a positive interpretation of the word even though I know journalists use it in the negative sense.

Isn't it meant as a form of psychological abuse? I know it was originally just the title of a film, but lately it's just been headline after headline going "Trump is gaslighting the American people!" or some variant.

32 minutes ago, W0$ said:

What has Goldenthal done lately? 

Our Souls At Night, plus he's prepping to score Taymor's biopic of Gloria Steinem.

38 minutes ago, dougie said:

Isn't it meant as a form of psychological abuse?

Yes. The term has been used colloquially in the US since the 60s

1 hour ago, dougie said:

Isn't it meant as a form of psychological abuse? I know it was originally just the title of a film, but lately it's just been headline after headline going "Trump is gaslighting the American people!" or some variant.

I wouldn't say abuse more like manipulation which is essentially synonymous with Marketing. You could entirely make the case that all marketing is psychological and at some level abuse. I say this as a working marketing professional.

I will use a different word than psychological abuse. I would call it psychological persuasion. It is essentially about making the other person see a point of view that you want them to see.

PS: If you wanted to get meta, you could categorize my definition and defense of Gaslighting itself as gaslighting.

6 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I wouldn't say abuse more like manipulation which is essentially synonymous with Marketing. You could entirely make the case that all marketing is psychological and at some level abuse. I say this as a working marketing professional.

I will use a different word than psychological abuse. I would call it psychological persuasion. It is essentially about making the other person see a point of view that you want them to see.

PS: If you wanted to get meta, you could categorize my definition and defense of Gaslighting itself as gaslighting.

More like spin!

All you nincompoops have no idea what you're talking about! 😛

I've been following Junkie XL since the early 2000s (probably before most of you were even born) and the "A Little Less Conversation" remix, back when he was a great electronica, DJ and pop composer. Wonderful stuff, a lot of it. I wish he would nurture that more often in his scores, like the gobsmackingly beautiful DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS, but I've also been mightily impressed with his more hardhitting and/or orchestral elegance (the slower parts of FURY ROAD, BRIMSTONE, MORTAL ENGINES, ALITA etc.). Such a versatile composer who just continues to grow for each year.

In short: One of the best film composers at the moment, IMO, and I am at the very least glad that some 'open minds' have started to see that, even though most of the replies in this thread are just run-of-the-mill Holkenborg bashing that I couldn't be bothered with.

The key thing with anything Holkenborg or Junk/o is that Conrad Pope is now his go-to guy for conducting orchestras. This must have been a development from that Boss Baby cue that Hans asked Pope to do. Anyways, Pope, the man that does shit for JW is doing Junkie stuff can tell you about the change in quality from a Deadpool to Mortal Engines. Different worlds and massively awesome scores. Battle Angel is fantastic in some of its weird allusions to, of all frigging things, Trevor Jones' seminal Dark City, and I argue to even Huppertz's score for Metropolis (Junk boy is an avid fan of film music). There's a moment in Battle Angel track 5, at 0:59 t0 1:15 that is either a Huppertz reference, or even geekier for you guys, a Harry Sukman, Salem's Lot, ding don.

To my mind, the 10 or so seconds in this Junkie score rival a Jones on fire:, 1:55 - 2:30. And even a Williams......If you like your Dark City.....