John Williams' 2019 Concert Schedule

Ricard

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I'm actually seriously considering Tanglewood this year. After the London drama last year I fear this might be the only way.

Fuck it, I just bought a ticket for Film Night. Williams should be there at least, and hopefully conduct an encore - which might be no less than whatever he'll do at that "On Parade" thingy. Film Night has the more interesting programme, and Williams as host means probably more Williams (even if not conducting) than at the other concert.

Looks like I might have grabbed the final indoor ticket, too. There were three sections listed as available, but one didn't actually offer any free seats, the second one I put in my cart and somehow lost during checkout (well within the time limit), and I finally bought the third one.

Lawn seating is still available though. Join me, @crocodile?

As you said @Jay there is probably no other way we'll see Williams in flesh. It needs to be done. Plus travelling to the US will become much much easier for me in the coming weeks.

Karol

I bought tickets for Tanglewood on Parade for myself and my wife. If anything gets organized for a JWFan meetup around it, we’d be excited to join in. Well, I would, at least. She mostly just indulges my JW fanaticism. :)

We definitely did talk about it in London. Though rather under the presumption that Williams himself would be the conductor. I made up my mind then - I'd have gotten a ticket right away without hesitation if Williams was listed as the conductor. But after last year's events, I'll be happy if everything goes well and he shows up.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Shall we make a real trip out of it and buy Hollywood Bowl tickets as well once they're out. It's a week after haha. :lol:

I think one coast shall suffice for my first trip to America.

5 minutes ago, fommes said:

I think I'll wait until the inevitable announcement he'll try to get to Vienna again. Inevitable, surely. (Wasn't this on this bucket list?)

Yes it is! 

On 2/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, fommes said:

I think I'll wait until the inevitable announcement he'll try to get to Vienna again. Inevitable, surely. (Wasn't this on this bucket list?)

I doubt this would happen this year though. Episode IX might be a priority (as well as Abrams's frantic last-minute tweaking, I'm sure) and they wouldn't probably let him travel such long distances around this time. If it does happen though, I'll try to go too of course. 

Karol

• 1 month later...

For those travelling from outside of the US to Tanglewood, I'm honestly curious how you get there by public transport? I tried to work it out last year but gave up, lol. 😁

https://webstore.peterpanbus.com/

It seems there's a Peter Pan bus, but it's expensive. There may be other buses also. Search for buses from Boston to Lenox, MA where Tanglewood is located. I've traveled from Boston to Tanglewood several times, and always rented a car, since there's no other really good way to get to Lenox/Tanglewood.

5 hours ago, Smeltington said:

https://webstore.peterpanbus.com/

It seems there's a Peter Pan bus, but it's expensive. There may be other buses also. Search for buses from Boston to Lenox, MA where Tanglewood is located. I've traveled from Boston to Tanglewood several times, and always rented a car, since there's no other really good way to get to Lenox/Tanglewood.

Thanks for the tip regarding the bus :) 

Even if I manage to get there it doesn’t seem there is a hotel within walking distance of the venue in Tanglewood?

Also, does anyone know if he’s definitely not appearing at the May Boston shows, as a special guest or otherwise?

Once you're in Lenox, Tanglewood is still not very accessible except by car. Even if you find a way to get there by bus, you may need a cab or Uber/Lyft just to get from the bus station to Tanglewood and back. If there's any way you can rent a car I definitely recommend that. You could book accommodations somewhere between Lenox and Boston if you didn't want to spend the money to stay in Boston (and the parking situation in Boston is pretty bad too).

On the other hand, you'd have no problem getting to one of the Boston shows, but it sounds like the chances of seeing Williams himself in Boston this year are a lot lower, based on the info we have right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Albany, NY is the closest city to Tanglewood, with regular Greyhound bus and Amtrak rail service to New York City. If you have a driving license, you can rent a car in Albany for just one day to get to Tanglewood and back (hotels are also much cheaper there than in the Berkshires as well).

• 1 month later...

I have 2 tickets available for those interested in May 29 Boston Film Night Tribute concert

1st Balcony Rt. 
Seats A9, A10

I won't be able to come, still going to May 30 and 31 concerts though :)

The price is USD 163 for both tickets (original purchase price)

If interested, PM me pls.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, Richard said:

You know it's funny, almost amusing, that this Williams guy can do several concerts, in the USA, but try to get him to do one concert in 20 years, in London...

Thats how bloody awful London has become. He fell ill as soon as he got off the plane!

On 7/12/2019 at 12:20 AM, Stefancos said:

Thats how bloody awful London has become.

Yes, he should have gone straight to Vienna instead and step out into the sweet, healthy air that Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold breathed before him. ;)

Tanglewood on Parade program won't include any Williams piece this year. Not a first since 1980, but surely a rare thing to happen:

Tuesday, July 23, at 8pm
THE GREGORY E. BULGER FOUNDATION CONCERT
BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA
TANGLEWOOD MUSIC CENTER ORCHESTRA
BOSTON SYMPHONY CHILDREN’S CHOIR
ANDRIS NELSONS, KEITH LOCKHART, THOMAS WILKINS, and
 JAMES BURTON, conductors

WAGNER “The Ride of the Valkyries” from Die Walküre
TANGLEWOOD MUSIC CENTER ORCHESTRA,
ANDRIS NELSONS conducting

RESPIGHI Fountains of Rome
The Fountains of Valle Giulia at dawn
The Triton Fountain in the morning
The Fountain of Trevi at mid-day
The Fountain at the Villa Medici at sunset
BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA,
THOMAS WILKINS conducting

James BURTON From The Lost Words, for children’s choir and orchestra
(world premiere; co-commissioned by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Andris Nelsons, music director, through the generous support of the New Works Fund established by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency)
Dandelion
Newt
Lark
Magpie
Willow
Otter
BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA and BOSTON SYMPHONY CHILDREN’S CHOIR,
JAMES BURTON conducting
Joseph Miller, projectionist
Words and images from The Lost Words by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris, published by House of Anansi Press

INTERMISSION

STRAUSS Opening fanfare (Sunrise) from Also sprach Zarathustra—
RAVEL Daybreak, from Daphnis et Chloé
Film Luna produced by Susan Dangel and Dick Bartlett
Photographs by Babak Tafreshi, The World at Night Photography

TOWNSHEND - MATHES Overture/“Pinball Wizard” from Tommy
HARRISON -  MATHES “Here Comes the Sun”
BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA,
KEITH LOCKHART conducting

TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Overture, Opus 49
TMC ORCHESTRA and BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA,
THOMAS WILKINS conducting

And as noted before, Williams won't be conducting either.

• 1 month later...