New Mike Matessino audio interview by Maurizio Caschetto [UPDATE: Part 2 now available]

TownerFan

Hello there.

Be sure to check TheLegacyOfJohnWilliams.com very soon for an exclusive inside look at this stunning new release. I promise it'll be something worth your time.

If you have doubts about shelling your pennies for this new remaster, well... believe me, guys, this score has never sounded better than this.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Here's part 1 of an exclusive podcast interview with Mike Matessino talking about the new Superman The Movie release:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/18/mike-matessino-superman-part-1/

Hope you will all enjoy!

It's always awesome to hear Mike talking about the whole story of a score restoration, how/where they find new sources, ...

I can say that listening to this podcast made me want to buy this newest set.

Here's part 1 of an exclusive podcast interview with Mike Matessino talking about the new Superman The Movie release:

Hope you will all enjoy!

Wonderful Maurizio! It's always wonderful to hear Mike regale us with these behind-the-scenes stories and here he has a long history of working on Superman and the different expanded incarnations in the last 20 years. Looking forward hearing the rest! :) 

Hope you will all enjoy!

Is there a download version of this available?  Thanks for posting this, just starting to listen now!

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Is there a download version of this available?  Thanks for posting this, just starting to listen now!

You can find the MP3 link in the page's code using "view page source"

6 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/legacyofjw_mikem_podcast_part_one-1.mp3

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wonder what MM means when he says JW's 'management' didn't want the source music included on this set. That means JW did not take that decision, right?

It's usually the cook, the butler, and the cleaning lady. And Bill Ross.

It’s good to hear some of the details behind the scenes, especially for a project like this.

Since this is sourced from the original scoring masters, this is it. This is the best it can likely ever be.

I’m happy that we have this, and that these scores are being preserved.

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Hope you will all enjoy!

I just listened to it, that was great! Really looking forward to receive the set even more now. And also looking forward to part 2.

8 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Hope you will all enjoy!

I am in awe of this man, Mike Matessino. I've said it before and I say it again -- I will never have an issue with what LLL or the other labels charge for a specialty re-release. Even if I can't afford it, I'll never complain. Because his level of commitment, expertise, care, and OCD detail is staggering. His craft sets the high bar in his industry just as much as JW set the high bar in his.

I hope @TownerFan doesn't mind, but I broke the posts about this interview out of the LLL Superman thread and into their own, for greater visibility.

I haven't had a chance to hear this yet, but I can't wait to! 

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Loved Mike's little insight about SW IX. Not only confirming the speculation that Williams has stepped back from conducting duties this year to conserve energy for writing/conducting IX, but that John was seemingly misquoted or taken out of context regarding IX being his final Star Wars score. He's apparently happy and open to return if Disney have any further Episode films in the near future.

To hear Williams doesn't consider IX will be his final score in the series (or, at least, that's not how he's approaching the score) is interesting, certainly changes my expectations for the score.

Also seems to debunk those rumours about an imminent retirement (from SW or otherwise). Probably explains the West Side Story situation as well, although arguably he would've turned that down even if IX wasn't on his plate this year.

Fantastic interview, this was. Brilliant stuff @TownerFan. And huge thanks to Mike for being so open and accessible to fans regarding these releases. It certainly reaffirms that these aren't just soulless corporations producing these expansions, rather genuine fans who are just as passionate about preserving the legacy of John Williams as we are. 

Indeed. I was just thinking the same. Never say never. Lets really hope that Williams is able to expand and continue with the STAR WARS Saga way after he wraps up his 9th! ;)

Speaking of the brilliant Original recording sessions [Superman i.e] which were all there and preserved in those salt mine conservatories no less in Kansas! -shades of Smallville! LOL.  I'am really looking forward to Part 2 of this program. It was also nice to have Tim Burden chime in as well.I also liked the rather touching tribute to Nick Redman in the end. Mike Matessino is a thorough gentleman.

By the way, I dunno but I feel THIS release is BIGGER than HARRY POTTER set for me ! It has had such a profound impact on my own life, I can't tell you. Really! Its like coming full circle.

Thank you everyone! I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I did doing it!

Part 2 will be focused more on the legacy of Superman The Movie and will be online next Monday. It will also feature a portion of the alternate Fortress of Solitude cue. However, that cue will be premiered this coming Saturday on Classic FM radio together with a short preview of part 2 of our talk with Mike. Stay tuned for more information!

19 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I wonder what MM means when he says JW's 'management' didn't want the source music included on this set. That means JW did not take that decision, right?

No, it means that most of the time communication with Williams happens through his management. 

I interpret it as if JWs influence is not final, which I’ve stated many times before.

Like if he he would have to approve every single release that contains Star Wars music - he’d do nothing else except playing battlefront and watch a 1 000 hours of cartoons.

My point is, when it comes to any official release of his music, I’m sure he has influence, but the final product is probably a collaboration between a lot different business partners, with different agendas.

Maybe by ‘management’, MM was referring to a licensing deal prohibiting it from being released more than on the II/III set.

But who knows? Maybe MM will clear it all up in the future.

Williams's isnt the only one who has a say. 

We have heard other MM interviews in which he states that the company that owns the soundtrack album rights has to sign off, the film studio has to sign off, in some releases the director or producer has to sign off etc etc...

John Williams technically doesnt own most of the music he's written. 

In the London talk MM held last October he mentioned that he only sees John Williams very occasionally, so most of the work involved in getting him to sign off on stuff going though John Williams' management.

It's very possible MM was either being diplomatic or careful when he said Williams' management nixed the source cues that ended up on the Superman II/III set. Because he wasnt told exactly who nixed them and why.

Great interview! Looking forward to part 2 (and hoping MM drops some hints about future possible JW expansions along the lines of "save your pennies"). :)

On another note, is S:TM the first JW restoration to be sourced from 1st generation tapes?

I don't know how to elaborate.  Whenever possible, he gets the 1st gen tapes from the studios and uses those.  I don't know what else to say.

I suppose this is a getting a lot of discussion this time, because this particular score had been expanded twice before, before anyone knew where the 1st gen tapes were.

But often the first (only) expansion of a score comes from 1st gen tapes already.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know how to elaborate.  Whenever possible, he gets the 1st gen tapes from the studios and uses those.  I don't know what else to say.

Perhaps by naming some titles which were sourced from 1st gen tapes?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The answer is: most of them.

Recently - ET, CE3K, JP, TLW, Potter were all from 1st gen

Dracula was not

Thanks Jay. That's what I was after.

I'd buy Schindler's List again if Mike is ever allowed to work with fresh transfers of every take from the 1st gen element and build a new complete score program from scratch for disc 1, with source music and alternates and interesting alternate takes on disc 2

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Does it make you regard them differently?

I would actually love to hear high res versions of these scores one day!

Not at all. I was just curious. I'm far less sensitive to sound quality than many around here. For example, I think the Polydor OST of Raiders sounds fine. The things that bother me are drop outs, clicks and pops. Oh, and brickwalling.

Well, you listened to this interview right?  Didn't the clips included tell you everything you need to know about the new sound quality?