New Mike Matessino audio interview by Maurizio Caschetto [UPDATE: Part 2 now available]

TownerFan

On 2/18/2019 at 11:02 AM, TownerFan said:

Here's part 1 of an exclusive podcast interview with Mike Matessino talking about the new Superman The Movie release:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/18/mike-matessino-superman-part-1/

Hope you will all enjoy!

Wonderful interview, @TownerFan! This was the film and score that started it all for me. It was thrilling to hear the excerpts from the new release along with Mike's account of his 20-year history with the score. I can't wait to receive my copy and enjoy a brand new listening experience with the score that launched my passion for film music.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well, you listened to this interview right?  Didn't the clips included tell you everything you need to know about the new sound quality?

I listened during work on my phone. It sounded good.

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

Loved Mike's little insight about SW IX. Not only confirming the speculation that Williams has stepped back from conducting duties this year to conserve energy for writing/conducting IX,

Well then, I eagerly await the announcement of a reschedule of the Vienna Philharmonic concert in 2020. ;)

On 2/19/2019 at 10:52 PM, Jay said:

I feel like the audio interviews  Mike and Neil have been doing over the past ~5 years just keep getting better and better and I am very excited to hear part 2!

Agreed, very insightful.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:04 AM, TownerFan said:

... the alternate Fortress of Solitude cue will be premiered this coming Saturday on Classic FM radio together with a short preview of part 2 of our talk with Mike. Stay tuned for more information!

Is this still happening?

16 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Is this still happening?

Sorry, gents, it happened yesterday morning, yes. I was far from any computer or device so I wasn’t able to alert you on time.

Btw, Part 2 of the podcast will be online tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Hearing the few samples via headphones totally transport you back to the Anvil Studios. It feels as if Iam hearing it for the first time. Its unbelievable.I'll be stunned for sure when I play this thing on my own. WOW!

Good Job Maurizio!!! 

Thank you for another great listen Maurizio. And also for the warning regarding the alternate fortress of solitude. I will wait for my cds to be ripped and put on some headphones for the first listen of this release.

Wonderful shows Maurizio! Thank you so much for producing these and sharing them.

My God, the sound quality on this thing!

Just re-listened to part 2 and at the end MM mentioned to Tim Burden about capping their discussions about London-based JW recordings.  You know what scores were not recorded in London?  Hook and Amistad!  Fingers crossed!!!!

Just listened to part 2. I love your website, Maurizio. I have been really busy, so I have not had time to send you my own contribution (a synopsis and reflection of my college thesis), but I will get to it when I can. My copy arrives today, so I will be transferring it to my iTunes Maestro John Williams library and I will then play the CDs on my Dolby 5.1 speakers as soon as I can. I have to leave for Miami later in the afternoon to attend A Celebration of John Williams gala concert, where I will finally be seeing the Maestro conduct live and in person.

Again, great job, Maurizio. Wouldn't it be great to get interviews with people like Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, and other people who have worked directly with the Maestro? You've already interviewed Gloria Cheng and Gil Shaham, which is a feat in and of itself. Wishful thinking here, but wouldn't it be great to get a brief interview with Steven Spielberg or even the Maestro himself?!?

Phenomenal work and website.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, ATXHusker said:

Great to hear the confirmation that there are more projects in the pipeline, even though there was not much doubt. :)

AMEN!

• 2 weeks later...

Great 2 interviews with Mike Matessino !!! Mike is a very knowledgeable guy and film historian and his work on these John Williams Expanded Soundtrack releases are amazing. Also his liner notes he puts together for these soundtracks are very well detailed and amazing. Thanks @TownerFan for putting these out great listens !!!

On 3/2/2019 at 4:14 PM, JohnnyD said:

Again, great job, Maurizio. Wouldn't it be great to get interviews with people like Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, and other people who have worked directly with the Maestro? You've already interviewed Gloria Cheng and Gil Shaham, which is a feat in and of itself. Wishful thinking here, but wouldn't it be great to get a brief interview with Steven Spielberg or even the Maestro himself?!?

Thank you, Johnny. As someone said, "the sky's the limit!" :) I surely hope to get to Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma one day, even though they're extremely busy people and not easy to access for interviews. But I have others lined up who are as much interesting, I hope. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your nice words and support!

Thank you for your great work, Maurizio, as always.

As you know, I'm not that interested in expansions, remastering, contracts and all the 'nuts and bolts' of releasing soundtracks; so I wonder: Before I start listening, do you at any point during the interview talk about completely unreleased JW scores in any way, and the possible work that has gone into unearthing them?

Thank you Thor!

No, but that is certainly a great idea for a future podcasr/talk. Here we discussed mostly the new Superman release, the methodology of Mike's working process and the historical importance of this score in JW's overall oeuvre. I think there is a lot of information you might find interesting nonetheless. I know it's quite a long listen, but we kept a very informal tone all throughout, so I hope it's pleasant.

It's absolutely fantastic Maurizio, captivating listening and strikes a perfect balance of informative discussion and casual conversation. You all share a great rapport in these episodes so it makes for great listening, especially as all three of you are clearly well-informed on the subject matter.

Cannot wait to hear what interviews you have coming up, not just with Mike but maybe some musicians who've worked under John, or even directors! I think we'd be surprised how many Williams collaborators would love to spend an hour just discussing their projects with JW -- Cuaron being a great example for the Potter expansion (what started as a 5 minute chat with MM apparently turned into an hour long discussion about all manner of topics).

And I'll echo the sentiment that Mike's industry and technical knowledge is so fascinating, I'd happily listen to an interview unrelated to any expansion. It would be interesting to hear his general thoughts on the state of the music industry, the frustrations with archival storage of analogue scoring tapes from decades past (surely those shedding TLW masters are just the tip of the iceberg), the rise of streaming and digital media and the impact on independent labels, etc. Even just his thoughts on some of those obscure unreleased JW scores would be fun -- he might be able to shed a light on John's thought-process about vetoing some of his older works from release.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Even just his thoughts on some of those obscure unreleased JW scores would be fun -- he might be able to shed a light on John's thought-process about vetoing some of his older works from release.

That is something I would be immediately interested in. A sort of longer talk about the question I posed him in London. I could have attended a seminar just about that.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:38 AM, crumbs said:

It's absolutely fantastic Maurizio, captivating listening and strikes a perfect balance of informative discussion and casual conversation. You all share a great rapport in these episodes so it makes for great listening, especially as all three of you are clearly well-informed on the subject matter.

Cannot wait to hear what interviews you have coming up, not just with Mike but maybe some musicians who've worked under John, or even directors! I think we'd be surprised how many Williams collaborators would love to spend an hour just discussing their projects with JW -- Cuaron being a great example for the Potter expansion (what started as a 5 minute chat with MM apparently turned into an hour long discussion about all manner of topics).

And I'll echo the sentiment that Mike's industry and technical knowledge is so fascinating, I'd happily listen to an interview unrelated to any expansion. It would be interesting to hear his general thoughts on the state of the music industry, the frustrations with archival storage of analogue scoring tapes from decades past (surely those shedding TLW masters are just the tip of the iceberg), the rise of streaming and digital media and the impact on independent labels, etc. Even just his thoughts on some of those obscure unreleased JW scores would be fun -- he might be able to shed a light on John's thought-process about vetoing some of his older works from release.

Agreed great interview  Maurizio @TownerFan and Tim did with Mike on the subject about JW !!!