New Arrangement of Leaving Home performed at the Oscars...

King Mark

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Well thats because half of the supposed JW fans didn't know what it was. 

Superman deserves far more respect and love than it receives. 

As i said before, IMO Superman is the greatest score ever: there are at least 9 different unforgettable tracks in this one:

Chronologically

1. Prelude and Main Title
  2. The Planet Krypton and The Dome Opens
  3. Jonathan's Death
  4. Leaving Home
  5. The Fortress of Solitude
  6. The Helicopter Sequence
  7. The Flying Sequence
  8. To the Lair
  9. Love Theme From Superman

I don't remember another score so deep for a single movie....

Yeah, "Leaving Home" is made of two different parts: the first one when Clark finds the green crystal in the barn and then, what we heard at the Oscars, the morning after, when he's telling his mom he's leaving for good.

The first part doesn't fit for In Memoriam, it's a mysterious piece...

2 hours ago, MisterXDTV said:

As i said before, IMO Superman is the greatest score ever: there are at least 9 different unforgettable themes in this one:

'themes' or cues'?

If you're talking about '9 different themes', there are a lot of scores with more than that.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

'themes' or cues'?

If you're talking about '9 different themes', there are a lot of scores with more than that.

9 different themes that good in the same score?

I don't really know the difference between themes and cues, my bad :)

Well, 'good' is subjective, but to name two, Shore's LotR and Powell's HTTYD have more themes/motifs than that.

A 'theme' is the repeating melody, whereas a 'cue' is a piece of music. Hence you've listed some memorable tracks (combos of cues), not themes.

4 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I concur. I'm glad JW went back to this beautiful cue on this occasion. I wonder if it came up to him when reviewing the masters for LLL release.

It would be great to adapt Superman as a kind of multi-movement tone poem. It has such a strong storytelling quality that it would lend itself very well to such a concert adaptation.

Indeed. This score really can be arranged in a sort of Superman Symphony, covering all the main elements of his mythology. The first third of the score almost plays like this already, but it could be something great indeed

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Dudamel really have this talent of asking new arrangements of some of the best works of JW!

I’m glad they removed the beginning of leaving home, because yesterday, when I listened the score version I said to myslef: my God, they surely removed the beginning, it’s too intense for a Memoriam hommage!

You can only imagine the looks on the audience's faces if they had been presented with the Crystal theme as the In Memoriam music. Sure, death is mysterious and frightening, but you don't really expect that to the be the musical mood of a memorial, lol!

24 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

You can only imagine the looks on the audience's faces if they had been presented with the Crystal theme as the In Memoriam music. Sure, death is mysterious and frightening, but you don't really expect that to the be the musical mood of a memorial, lol!

Just be glad they didn't play March of the Villains

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It would be great to adapt Superman as a kind of multi-movement tone poem. It has such a strong storytelling quality that it would lend itself very well to such a concert adaptation.

Yes!  This!

5 hours ago, MisterXDTV said:

I extracted the Leaving Home track from the Oscars broadcast recording I had....

It was a 5.1 AC3 source. I downmixed to stereo in "fake" lossless to not lose any more quality....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k8a9d5w4gi40y8g/Leaving_Home_Oscars_Stereo_Final_2019.flac/file

sounds a lot better than you tube...thanks

5 hours ago, MisterXDTV said:

I extracted the Leaving Home track from the Oscars broadcast recording I had....

It was a 5.1 AC3 source. I downmixed to stereo in "fake" lossless to not lose any more quality....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k8a9d5w4gi40y8g/Leaving_Home_Oscars_Stereo_Final_2019.flac/file

You the man! Thanks, bud. 

9 hours ago, MisterXDTV said:

As i said before, IMO Superman is the greatest score ever: there are at least 9 different unforgettable tracks in this one:

Chronologically

1. Prelude and Main Title
  2. The Planet Krypton and The Dome Opens
  3. Jonathan's Death
  4. Leaving Home
  5. The Fortress of Solitude
  6. The Helicopter Sequence
  7. The Flying Sequence
  8. To the Lair
  9. Love Theme From Superman

I do adore the Love Theme. Its starts so quiet and builds then gets quiet as it ends. It has a Princess Leia vibe only better. There are few tracks from JW that I love more. It cannot receive to much praise IMHO.

OK, let's program it right now with album tracks!

I say:

I. The Planet Krypton

II. The Trip to Earth

III. Leaving Home

IV. The Fortress of Solitude

V. March of the Villains

VI. The Flying Sequence (or just the Love Theme...how much time do you have?)

VII. Prelude and Main Title March (or just Theme from Superman)

Encore: Nuclear Man Theme  :rock:  <-- (that, of course, is the sun)

• 10 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 5:45 AM, MisterXDTV said:

Yeah, "Leaving Home" is made of two different parts: the first one when Clark finds the green crystal in the barn and then, what we heard at the Oscars, the morning after, when he's telling his mom he's leaving for good.

The first part doesn't fit for In Memoriam, it's a mysterious piece...

Yeah, I'm listening to the original track now and the first part of it is the only downside for me. I wish JW (or Dudamel) would record his new arrangement that was played at the Oscars.