The Secrets of John Williams Writing Tools Revealed

BLUMENKOHL

Can we stop talking about spambots and resume discussing what John might eat for breakfast so that we may also become great people?

2 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Can we stop talking about spambots and resume discussing what John might eat for breakfast so that we may also become great people?

But next to trees, his embrace of the Singularity is one of the most driving factors behind his music! What else could explain our assimilation into drones programmed to follow every aspect of his work and life? Reading Thor's posts never gave you reason to ask some questions? 

1 hour ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

What am I, chopped liver? 😂

You're a poster who's not around much, and who hasn't revealed your gender. I don't know the state of your liver, though. :)

We haven’t! Not in a decade. We are a foul, mucilaginous emulsion of stagnant words, impure thoughts, and fervent, cultish religiosity wrapped in a shroud of inside jokes. The only change that graces us is rot!

Now get the fuck back on topic before I report you all to our do-nothing moderation team!

• 6 months later...

I can’t believe I didn’t think to rant about this in my original post. 

Philosophical point that emerges from this pencil: I’ve debated endlessly with the likes of @Marcus and other composers on this forum about the writing process. 

There is an incessant rumor or perhaps wishful thinking propagated by movies like Amadeus that great composers see all the notes in their head, sit down and write it down and produce a masterpiece. 

Whereas I can tell you the main reason you’d actually use these pencils that John Williams uses is to take advantage of the massive twistable and replaceable erasers that take up the top half of the pencil. 

That’s exactly why I prefer them to fancier and nicer pencils: I erase a lot and these are great for that. 

Now why would a composer who sees his perfect masterpiece in his head need a pencil with a giant eraser?

The answer of course is that 90% of a creative endeavor is in editing, exploring, and maturing your original ideas. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Even with a 100% preconceived piece of music, you can still make mistakes while writing it down. ;)

You little...Why I oughta....

On 12/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, Blumenkohl said:

The answer of course is that 90% of a creative endeavor is in editing, exploring, and maturing your original ideas. 

It's something I think about and experience a lot, and many scholars would agree with this point, defining genius as the ability to continually refine and sharpen initial ideas--which oftentimes are mediocre and awkward--into a honed piece of work, like a sword being forged from iron.

• 4 months later...