Roger from Intrada announces a Williams title is coming "in the next several months"

Jay

No Release Next Week

In fact we have many albums done stuck in approvals so March may not have much. But a glimpse of some composers you can expect to see over the next several months - Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (sigh), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay and more!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8108

Speculation so far is either a Monsignor or a Spacecamp redo. What other Williams titles could be Intrada territory?

Nixon from Disney

Fiddler from MGM

Lots of options from Fox, Paramount, or Universal

Of course, if the OST was put out by Sony Music, it can't be them.  So no The Reivers, SpaceCamp, Seven Years In Tibet, Stepmom, Angela's Ashes, etc.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Fiddler from MGM

Now out of the 4 explicitly mentioned, that's the one I could be interested in. But it's having it's 50th anniversary in 2 years, wouldn't it be a nicer, rounder release then?

38 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

@Jay Do you have any involvement in this release?  

Not yet but I'm happy to proofread when the time comes!

28 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It could still be a Sony expansion. Roger said they have a couple in the works still which were put in place before the new policy

You're right!  I forgot!

47 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

....or else I would LOVE a Johnny Williams unreleased score!

That is the ONLY thing that will hold any interest for me. Anything else is 😴. Wake me up when it's been announced!

@Trumpeteer's The Baton podcast has lit up a few neat Johnny albums in the last few months.  "The Secret Ways" main theme is great!  But I'd almost rather see a Lockhart-style highlights album of the best of those.

MONSIGNOR expansion looks like a possibility. There was some hints on various possibilities in the Q&A session that Mike Matessino had with the JWFAN guys in the London Concert gathering. 

How about FAR AND AWAY? 

Would be very happy with a revisit/remaster of Monsignor. As I recall from a forum post or private correspondence with Nick Redman, he had located the full sessions or at least something more than just the album release. But there may have been some licensing concerns.

1 minute ago, thx99 said:

Would be very happy with a revisit/remaster of Monsignor. As I recall from a forum post or private correspondence with Nick Redman, he had located the full sessions or at least something more than just the album release. But there may have been some licensing concerns.

Ah!! good old Nick Redman. May he rest in peace. 

Well there's got to be a reason this is an Intrada release and not a LLL, so that narrows the options methinks.

LLL has seemingly become MM & JW's default label for expansions that aren't tied up elsewhere for licensing/contractual reasons (eg. Varese with Dracula).

And yes (for the billionth time) Star Wars is only happening via Disney Records. Disney are bending over backwards to keep Williams invested and involved in the franchise; it's very safe to assume he and his management hold enough clout to ensure Matessino produces those remasters.

If Sugarland ever happens, it will be with LLL. They had the score pencilled in for release but Williams pulled the plug.

Knowing Mike's dedication to restoration, I have little doubt the tapes were still scanned for preservation's sake and put on ice.

LLL basically stopped it because Williams vetoed it and they didn't want to go against his wishes, didn't they? Perhaps Intrada simply don't give a shit and decided to take over the project. ;)

12 minutes ago, Hedji said:

TV Omnibus Volume 2

Would have been awesome. A box set with JUST unreleased Williams, though, not just a single Williams, like the previous one that only had "The Eleventh Hour", and you had to get the whole set just for that....

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Please record your Jay voice and share it with the thread!

We first need Jay to record his own voice and share it with the thread!  To see if it matches with what we hear in our heads when we read his posts!

17 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

*Jay Voice* Only Disney Records is going to release SW, a specialty label has zero chance of getting a license for SW releases *end Jay Voice*

That's not what Mike Matessino said!

18 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

*Jay Voice* Only Disney Records is going to release SW, a specialty label has zero chance of getting a license for SW releases *end Jay Voice*

I know we've been through this (before anyone says anything...)

But what would happen if JW said to Disney that he was ready for expansions but wanted LLL (with MM) to do it? I suppose I'm just curious about how much clout he actually has, even with a monster like Disney.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

But what would happen if JW said to Disney that he was ready for expansions but wanted LLL (with MM) to do it? I suppose I'm just curious about how much clout he actually has, even with a monster like Disney.

Why would JW insist that LLL should do it, when Disney could hire MM and Jim Titus themselves?

They could come to an arrangement where LLL have an exclusivity window of 5000 units in exchange for Disney acquiring all rights to the set (incl. streaming and digital) once their physical allocation has sold out.

But I don't really see what's in it for Disney unless LLL paid for the set's creation (wages, legal fees, etc.) thus reducing Disney's overheads -- effectively outsourcing the set's creation but reaping the profits long-term.

We do know one of the largest expenses for any future SW expansion (modern scans of the analogue scoring elements) has already been covered by Disney.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

They could come to an arrangement where LLL have an exclusivity window of 5000 units in exchange for Disney acquiring all rights to the set (incl. streaming and digital) once their physical allocation has sold out.

But I don't really see what's in it for Disney unless LLL paid for the set's creation (wages, legal fees, etc.) thus reducing Disney's overheads -- effectively outsourcing the set's creation but reaping the profits long-term.

We do know one of the largest expenses for any future SW expansion (modern scans of the analogue scoring elements) has already been covered by Disney.

It sure does sound like expanded SW soundtracks are a matter of when and not if. That’s heartening.

Ironically, expansions for the sequel trilogy will only be possible via a large studio like Disney due to the prohibitive licensing fees. So in a roundabout way, it's a good thing that Disney have these rights and can afford the fees (because the labels can't, without making a loss). 

w've been saying that for 20 years.  oh it's this and that anniversary of the movies...expanded scores for sure!..nope, Re-issue of the same old crap

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

w've been saying that for 20 years.  oh it's this and that anniversary of the movies...expanded scores for sure!..nope, Re-issue of the same old crap

You still don't believe in wonders? Even after 2018?

It's quite clear that Indiana Jones and Star Wars will soon be released, as Williams meanwhile requests these expansions, the music rights are all under one umbrella and MM will execute the whole thing, because Williams' camp wants him and no one else to do it.

What is it with these speciality labels and not just saying what is coming?

It’s always “we will release an extended soundtrack by so-and-so” without any details of what it is.

I don’t see the point. I don’t think fans are more likely to spend money upon the actual release date with this strategy.

Is it because they don’t know how long it’ll take to prepare? Surely they can make a prediction. It’s not like mastering and preparing a CD release is a mysterious process that changes from time to time.

Guys, this year is the 20th anniversary of Phantom Menace. Does anyone seriously believe they're gonna re-issue the ultimate edition in celebration? I hope they'll let MM do everything and release them gradually.

32 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Is it because they don’t know how long it’ll take to prepare? Surely they can make a prediction. It’s not like mastering and preparing a CD release is a mysterious process that changes from time to time.

As we've seen time and again, licencing and clearance issues (from the actual musical content to things like the cover image) can take anything from weeks up to years.