Roger from Intrada announces a Williams title is coming "in the next several months"

Jay

Yes, but they wouldn’t start work on it ’till it’s all done. If licensing fell through, all work would’ve been for nothing.

From a marketing perspective, I’d say it’s a good strategy to keep any news “in-house” until it’s close to release, for the news to make a big “splash” in the media. And let very release speak for it self. But what these labels are doing is some kind of half-assed maneuver that makes no sense.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Yes, but they wouldn’t start work on it ’till it’s all done. If licensing fell through, all work would’ve been for nothing.

They've repeatedly had projects in the pipeline that were all but done and just waited for one last party to sign off on the cover artwork. Again, for months.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

They've repeatedly had projects in the pipeline that were all but done and just waited for one last party to sign off on the cover artwork. Again, for months.

Just forge the signature, dammit!

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Even more so a reason to not say anything until it’s all a done deal.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just fire Jim Titus and have a blank cover. It would make the release cheaper!

Have I told the story of how I helped start Jim Titus' career?

Yeah, I should maybe ask first. Besides, it's a different topic altogether; better suited for another thread, perhaps.

They're beautiful, though -- and an early sign of the great soundtrack designer he would eventually become (really the best designer these days).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I should maybe ask first. Besides, it's a different topic altogether; better suited for another thread, perhaps.

They're beautiful, though -- and an early sign of the great soundtrack designer he would eventually become (really the best designer these days).

As a cyberfriend you should buy the expansions he did the artwork for. :P

On 3/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, igger6 said:

@Trumpeteer's The Baton podcast has lit up a few neat Johnny albums in the last few months.  "The Secret Ways" main theme is great!  But I'd almost rather see a Lockhart-style highlights album of the best of those.

Some of those very early scores have so little music in them. Two of them could be combined for one album, I suppose.

I would like to see a "Daddy-O/Because They're Young" album, since they are both about young adults.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, King Mark said:

Monsignor would be nice.  Jay said there was some unused music we never heard

It wasn't me. Rodney Newton spoke about it to the hundred of us that went to Mike Matessino's London chat. 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28986-details-from-mike-matessinos-london-talk/

6 hours ago, Trumpeteer said:

I would like to see a "Daddy-O/Because They're Young" album, since they are both about young adults.

In DADDY-O, most cast members (including Contino) are in their late 20s and upwards. I rather think coupling BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG with I PASSED FOR WHITE would make more sense, since they're both topical films about youth and teen issues.

But of course, combos like these are just a 'fan dream'. In reality, even if the source material was available, it would need to be from the same studio to share disc space.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

But of course, combos like these are just a 'fan dream'. In reality, even if the source material was available, it would need to be from the same studio to share disc space.

Not necessarily. Pete 'n' Tillie is Universal while Stanley & Iris is MGM, yet Mike M was able to wrangle them together.

That was only possible because Varese had the album rights to Stanley and Iris, so it wasn't the usual situation of having to co-license from the entity that released the OST and the entity that owned the rest of the music.  Varese already controlled both

On 3/11/2019 at 8:13 PM, Jay said:

Varese already controlled both

As I understand it, Varese still needed to licence the previously unreleased Stanley & Iris music from MGM, even though they hold perp rights to the OST music. So yes, only Varese could have released an expanded S & I, but they do not hold rights to the previously unreleased music in perp (hence they will not be able to release the DE for download/streaming, whereas the OST they were able to make available).

That also explains why very few of the Varese DEs have been made available for download/streaming. They hold perp rights to many of the OSTs but not the unreleased music - highlighted by the fact that many of their albums were limited to 30 minutes. There are exceptions however, such as Gremlins 2: The New Batch and Back to the Future Part III (the DEs being available for download/streaming).

Most likely, Varese was able to secure digital rights for the extra music on those two titles, or perhaps they negotiated perp rights for the extra music. In any case, these exceptions are (regrettably) few and far between. I'd love digital releases of OOP DEs such as Die Hard 2, The Abyss and The 'Burbs.

Pete 'n' Tillie was only added to Stanley & Iris because Mike Mattesino pushed hard for it. It definitely complicated things. Varese did not "control both" at all. They controlled only the original Stanley & Iris album, had to license/pay for all the additional cues from MGM, and had to negotiate a separate additional license with Universal to premiere the other score. But Mike went to the trouble of pursuing that because otherwise, Pete 'n' Tille probably never would have been released, not long enough to justify its own album.

Yavar

Yes, precisely

"both" in my post didn't refer to Stanley and Iris and PeteNTillie, it referred to the album rights of S&I and the film cues.  My post was worded poorly, the unique situation was that no outside music label was involved at all, just two film studios.

• 3 weeks later...

Possibility of multiple Williams releases?  I won't hold my breath but you never know!

An update to the list: Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (maybe...no promises yet), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay, Richard Band, Laurence Rosenthal, Jerry Fielding, Bear McCreary, Randy Edelman, possibly Frank DeVol and more! And sometimes more than one by these composers! This includes some world premieres, reissues, expansions...a little of everything.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8108&start=45