Batman Vs. Titanic

Batman Vs. Titanic  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

2. 2. Which score do you prefer?

• Batman - Danny Elfman
    • Titanic - James Horner

On 3/8/2019 at 3:59 PM, Brundlefly said:

Titanic is a great film, whereas Batman is too much influenced by the producers. The score of the latter is quite good and definitely better than Titanic. But it's very easy to make a better score than Titanic.

Eloquently put. Couldn't have said it better.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

What a wierd comparison. 

Why not compare The Godfather and Jaws while you're at it?

Jaws film and score for me easily. 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:20 AM, JoeinAR said:

Lol at all of yall thinking Batman is a better score. 🤣🤣

Why would we laugh at something that is true?

I bought LLL’s 4 disc set to support the label and because there are a few nice moments but it hasn’t aged very well. The faux Enya inspired sound and the typical Horner clang clang + piano riffs + danger motif isn’t that awe inspiring.

Cocoon is much more emotional and uplifting score.

In all seriousness, there are a few I may be lukewarm about but will buy to show my support. But they do have some music I find appealing.

13 hours ago, dougie said:

Buying scores you don't care much for just to support the label?

What else should we spend our disposable income on? Girl Scout Cookies? 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Dieter Stark said:

After careful consideration, I've decided that despite the eternal love of Jack and Rose, Batman is in fact the greatest movie ever.

Batman has that night out on the town at restaurants painted with brass finishes look and feel to it.

• 4 months later...

The main melody of Batman is near the worst anyone could ever do in music: if you're like a sugared-up 3-year-old baby going crazy at a piano, you will write a better melody than Batman. As instead of writing one that simply makes one cringe (Batman), you will probably raise a left eyebrow way off the listener's head, which is more preferable. However, the rest of Batman's score/orchestration makes up for that blunder, and at least it's not the main melody of Giacchino's Star Trek, *barf*. He sat down at a piano and purposely tried to craft the worst melody in existence. I wish I was that gifted.

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

The main melody of Batman is near the worst anyone could ever do in music: if you're like a sugared-up 3-year-old baby going crazy at a piano, you will write a better melody than Batman. As instead of writing one that simply makes one cringe (Batman), you will probably raise a left eyebrow way off the listener's head, which is more preferable.

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

People 1000 years ago had the potential to write that flat arpeggio/scale of a melody, and decided to scrap in favor of more memorable tunes. I wouldn't hold it against Elfman if he plagiarized even from the most ancient simpletons, he clearly needed the help. "Caveman brain" choice.

Giacchino on the other hand... Beyond any help. It was Star Trek, what a complete fool.

24 minutes ago, Borodin said:

People 1000 years ago had the potential to write that flat arpeggio/scale of a melody, and decided to scrap in favor of more memorable tunes. I wouldn't hold it against Elfman if he plagiarized even from the most ancient simpletons, he clearly needed the help. "Caveman brain" choice.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

The only time Elfman's "start on the root note and chord and offer no understanding of melodic development" gimmick works is when he gets scarcely lucky. For instance it kinda worked in the Simpson's theme because he unknowingly matched a suitable mood with a rhythmic mirroring technique. But barely. For him, it's more with scoring orchestral variation to suit.

11 minutes ago, Borodin said:

The only time Elfman's "start on the root note and chord and offer no understanding of melodic development" gimmick works is when he gets scarcely lucky. For instance it kinda worked in the Simpson's theme because he unknowingly matched a suitable mood with a rhythm. But barely. For him, as I mentioned, it's more with orchestral development.

source (5).gif