Wing Commander (Arnold/Kiner) 20th anniversary

shockwave

Hi Folks,

I hope no one minds my post. Today is the 20th anniversary of Wing Commander (Arnold/Kiner). Movie was ok, but I got hooked on the bombastic score. Sonic Images released the soundtrack back in March 1999. Unfortunately at the time the sdtk had about 38 minutes of music. The score heard in the film was almost 70 minutes long. Hopefully I'm not the only one who would like to hear some classic Arnold/Kiner. Crossing fingers either La-La Land or Intrada will consider an expanded sometime this year.

Thank you.

:)

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was never very impressed by the Wing Commander OST. Is there any great music that was not included on it?

Sorry I don't mean to cause any issues with my request. This is what I was able to hear from a few years ago.

Here are just some, but not all of the unreleased cues with estimated times:

The Diligent encounters a gravity well: 4 minutes
Never Existed: 1:46
Authentication: 1:41
The Earth fleet/Sweet landing: 2:18 or 2:58 (sorry not sure due to sfx)
Scout patrol: 2:30(?)
Position compromised: 1:26
Crash landing: 4:20
Battle stations/Dog fight: 6:58
Reckless endangerment/hiding: 8:00
Attacking the command ship: 5:12
Battle engaged: 4:31
Blair's message: 1:00
Blair rescued: 1:33

Some of the music was muffled by the sound effects.

I was also not that superimpressed with the film adaptation or its score, but I was HUGE fan of the computer games back in the 90s, especially 3 and 4 with those great cinematic sequences. 3, in particular, had a wonderful score by George Oldziey -- synthesized, but clearly written to sound as orchestral as possible. Then a few years ago, he got the chance to record it with an orchestra. Well worth checking out: https://www.oldzieymusic.com/wingcommanderCD.html

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I was also not that superimpressed with the film adaptation or its score, but I was HUGE fan of the computer games back in the 90s, especially 3 and 4 with those great cinematic sequences. 3, in particular, had a wonderful score by George Oldziey -- synthesized, but clearly written to sound as orchestral as possible. Then a few years ago, he got the chance to record it with an orchestra. Well worth checking out: https://www.oldzieymusic.com/wingcommanderCD.html

OK sorry this was just a favorite of mine. 

Thank you :) 

Hehehe, I also played it during my Playstation days. Felt somewhat Star Warsy, I don't know why.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't remember the score being all that special, but rather functional.

Nothing selfish about it at all. Just a request for an expansion of a personal favourite. Perfectly fine! (even if some of us don't necessarily share your enthusiasm for this particular score).

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Nothing selfish about it at all. Just a request for an expansion of a personal favourite. Perfectly fine! (even if some of us don't necessarily share your enthusiasm for this particular score).

Thank you Thor.

:)

I remember David Arnold's Overture from this being on his concert programme at the Royal Festival Hall in London a few years back.  I'm sure he'd be open to an expanded release of the score if the rights can be untangled.  Not sure if this was recorded in LA or London off the top of my head....

@Thor - good shout about Oldziey's Wing Commander music - it's fun stuff that is thoroughly deserving of more recognition!

17 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

I remember David Arnold's Overture from this being on his concert programme at the Royal Festival Hall in London a few years back.  I'm sure he'd be open to an expanded release of the score if the rights can be untangled.  Not sure if this was recorded in LA or London off the top of my head....

@Thor - good shout about Oldziey's Wing Commander music - it's fun stuff that is thoroughly deserving of more recognition!

I believe the music was recorded in Air Lyndhurst, London, England.