Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

This is a score for a film with a lot of intellectual ideas. It will likely play better in suite form anyway. I'm fairly sure Hans composed it that way. This is a great score for Hans that really lends itself well to his methodology. I'm glad to see him get this film. Philip Glass would have knocked this out of the park too, as would John Adams but those are pipe dreams. Not even sure either would want to do it anyway. Hans has the blockbuster clout which this film needs to be successful. I'm sure soundtrack sales from the Zimmer base aren't going to hurt and I want Part 2

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

I do hope there’s some moments of awe/wonder/nobility scattered throughout the score. Not just tension/danger the entire time. I get that it’s a “serious” film and there is a lot at stake in the story. But it’s not Dunkirk. Hans should be free to explore various parts of this world. Beauty of the desert, mystery, even love in there too. 

Awe/wonder/nobility? This is a Villeneuve film man, the only fucker who has a darker outlook on life than Nolan. 

But yeah was hoping for something more melodic like WW84. Hopefully there are some tracks like that at least.

There's no way anyone could watch all of Villeneuve's films up to now and reasonably expect anything other than a "soundscape" style score.  I very much enjoyed that type of score when it was Jóhannsson scoring them and very much did not enjoy BR2049 nor any of the released cues for Dune so far. 

2 hours ago, badbu said:

from where get u these infos?

i thought Paul’s dream is the cue from the first 10 minutes from the opening scene

I read it in the article I think

Sure did

LISTEN: “Paul’s Dream,” which is included on the album The Dune Sketchbook (Music from the Soundtrack)
LISTEN: “Ripples in the Sand,” which is included on the album Dune (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Just listened to the released tracks.

Paul's Dream starts atmospherically like Interstellar until the infamous wailing woman appears and turns the music into "space Gladiator".

Ripples in the Sand sounds like a mix between Black Hawk Down and Dark Phoenix. It's not bad, but it's no something I'd listen to frequently.

I wonder if, maybe due to the pandemic, Zimmer didn't used an orchestra like WW84? It would make sense for the score to be completly synth plus the wailing woman and some Middle Eastern instruments. Also, that'd be very bold.

This wailing woman music is completely unlike the wailing from Gladiator, a much better comparison would be the vocals from Black Hawk Down, or indeed Dark Phoenix.

And three albums of music! I’m excited!

On 7/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, Lord Zimmer said:

Awe/wonder/nobility? This is a Villeneuve film man, the only fucker who has a darker outlook on life than Nolan. 

But yeah was hoping for something more melodic like WW84. Hopefully there are some tracks like that at least.

i think we get some themes.

like for the harkonnen and maybe a love theme (Paul & Chani) :) 

i also hope that cue is a part of the official score:

On 7/24/2021 at 1:40 PM, A. A. Ron said:

I like that Zimmer is releasing these "sketchbooks" alongside his OSTs these days. In the case of Dark Phoenix for example, I felt the music as Zimmer conceived it was more interesting than the music than actually ended up in the film.

Check out the WW84 Sketches, the first half blew me away.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very excited for this score. This is a perfect project for Hans: blockbuster-style Dune. I am thrilled we are getting three discs of material. Dune begs for this kind of treatment, sketchbooks and suites and the like. I'll say it again: perfect project for Hans.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 11:43 PM, Edmilson said:

I wonder if, maybe due to the pandemic, Zimmer didn't used an orchestra like WW84? It would make sense for the score to be completly synth plus the wailing woman and some Middle Eastern instruments. Also, that'd be very bold cheap.

Fixed.

Some listener comments from the ole’ Hans-zimmer.com forum suggest overall it’s a mix of Dark Phx and Prince of Egypt. Very interested to give this a listen once it drops here in the states. 

It will be odd/kinda cool to hear Zimmer’s process first via a sketches album and then hear the ost. 

First impressions: it manages to be even more of a mood album than DP ever was, given its much slower pace, yet nuttier experimentation in parts make it harder to approach as a casual listen. For as long as it is, there's just not that much variation here, and I can't help but wonder if that's a Villeneuve inspired choice to make it more limited sound wise. I'm quite interested in what the proper score sounds like, as this definitely feels more like a prelude than a fully fledged project. I generally liked it, but in spite of being much more structured than its predecessors, I think there was more to enjoy in the previous sketchbook albums.

Also, for those who railed against the alleged wailing woman (to which do we even know the gender of the solo vocalist at the end of Paul's Dream?), you actually do get a track that's half dominated by Lisa Gerrard esque vocals (House Atreides), so definitely the wrong track to make that complaint with. Lastly, I won't be surprised if Mind-Killer is where people dismiss the work entirely.

House Atreides was interesting to me. Are those bagpipes?

Also interesting were the voices that play in the background of some tracks. No idea what they're saying, but my ears arent the best.

OK, Song of the Sisters is SIXTEEN MINUTES LONG. ROUNDING DOWN.

I can't imagine the sisters take up that much time in the movie.

It's interesting. But I could be listening to Toto.

Ok. I See You In My Dreams is picking up.

Always down to fuck with Han's sketch albums. This is longgg though. I See You In My Dreams was bombastic in a very good way, and I like the satanic chanting, getting me more excited for this movie every track. 

Sadly doesn't seem as if we're getting any new releases in Aus until at least December at this point, I don't know how long I can hold out to pirate. 

I really like it :)

Hans always made these „sketchbooks“. It’s the name for his Cubase diary. That’s the first ideas he had for a film. The final score will be different but similar. If you listen to the previous sketchbooks you know what i mean. 

Love that Hans hypes up the score with the selling point that they've invented these alien soundscapes with new instruments etc. and the House Atreides theme is bagpipes and taikos hahaha. A surprisingly effective mix

I'm listening to The Dune Sketchbook and it constantly reminds me of Vangelis, a Vangelis in his better days. Sound is a little bit too digital (it gets fatiguing after a while) and I'm not a fan of the electric guitar that pops up here and there. Score could do with a more joyful, quirky theme to break with the oppressive mood. 

There's some good stuff in here but the longform sketch pieces and their order don't make for the best listen. It did make me more optimistic for the score proper!

I like House Atreides, maybe a tad too much percussion. In places I couldn't tell if it was a bagpipe, an electric guitar, both, or something like a pipe sample played on a guitar. Pretty cool either way! Also Song of the Sisters, I like interesting uses of voice and this sure has some nonconventional whispering, belting or even female semi-gregorian (gregorinian? ;)) parts.