Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

50 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Actually, I don't think I've heard anyone (directors, other composers, janitors, fans who have met him) say anything bad about him.

There is the recent story from a former RCP worker who posted it in response to the discussion surrounding HZ's FB outbursts, but that probably would be pushing the rules here to discuss it properly. Not to mention I've heard mentions of stories where he isn't seen in the best light, but I'd have to ask more about that.

Quite frankly, with how much the RCP crew owe their careers to the man, I sincerely doubt we're gonna hear more substantial stories about misconduct behind the scenes, since it's mainly the lower level people that deal with that. There is no real incentive for them to spill beans if they are more benefitting from the business than losing in it. Not to mention that with him being the composer in Hollywood currently, his public image would need to be rock solid if they want things to stay as they are (hence no bad mouthing from directors or bad experiences with fans).

I couldn't explain it, but something about the middle section of "House Atreides" was reminding me of "Bolero", especially Jeff Russo's rendition in Legion, "Fauxlero":

Maybe it's just how the same melody keeps repeating and getting more intense each time. 

Then the track hits around 7:45, and what sounds to me like the exact same percussion rhythm as Bolero kicks in, making me think maybe I'm not crazy for making the connection lol

4 hours ago, tee_oh said:

I couldn't explain it, but something about the middle section of "House Atreides" was reminding me of "Bolero", especially Jeff Russo's rendition in Legion, "Fauxlero":

Maybe it's just how the same melody keeps repeating and getting more intense each time. 

Then the track hits around 7:45, and what sounds to me like the exact same percussion rhythm as Bolero kicks in, making me think maybe I'm not crazy for making the connection lol

Screenshot_2021-09-13-21-47-22.png

Yeah. Crazy the soundtrack comes out this week but the states won’t get the film until October 22. Wonder why they allowed the score to be released so soon? (Im not complaining about getting the score early btw). Guess the finished album was just collecting dust (spice?) and they decided to start making money early.

It will give me time to become really familiar with the score and then notice all the music missing contained in the film;) Is there a track listing for the actual film score yet btw?

10 hours ago, badbu said:

Score is on Youtube! (Hans Channel)

22 Cues - 74min

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 14.02.58.png

the cue "Armada" was so so amazing in that scene! But nothing beats the bene gesserit scene :D jesus :D 

Love that Score!!!

Where's Paul's Dream?

I fell for this hook line and sinker. It’s fake. A bunch of duduuk tracks from various film and game scores (The Crow, Far Cry etc). I listened through the first track before I got the sneaking suspicion it wasn’t real. I thought “wow the actual score is much more orchestral than his sketches lead us to believe”. Haha. Still not popping up here in the states yet.

Gee, that's...kinda boring, innit? There are a few slant moments where i could, with my ever-busy imagination, hear something desert-y, but all things considered, that's the most fucking boring Zimmer score ever.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Gee, that's...kinda boring, innit? There are a few slant moments where i could, with my ever-busy imagination, hear something desert-y, but all things considered, that's the most fucking boring Zimmer score ever.

Yeah I ended up loving the sketchbook a lot more than this. This album frankly is quite slow and boring. It also feels like it is missing tons of cues. Like 90% of the trailer themes and 70% of the stuff in the sketchbook aren't even on the album. Like where are the House Atreides cues? The bagpipes only appeared for like 5 seconds in "Armada." If you look at the booklet, the Scottish pipers were credited. Where are the Lisa Gerrard vocals? Even the female war cry just appeared for like 10 seconds. It has been confirmed the complete album has 60 cues and this album only has 22. Is that just an attempt to get people to buy all 3 albums or wait for an extended edition? The strange thing is, even, I don't hear much battle cues either. I am still extremely excited to see the movie and hear the score in the movie but this album doesn't do much more me.

I actually like much of the sketchbook. All the themes and ideas are not always coherent but there is a clear, ethereal quality to them. "Moon Over Caladan" is much better than anything on the actual album. This is a strange release.

It will be interesting to hear from people who watched the film to confirm how much music is actually missing.

On 17/09/2021 at 1:45 AM, Mephariel said:

Yeah I ended up loving the sketchbook a lot more than this. This album frankly is quite slow and boring. It also feels like it is missing tons of cues. Like 90% of the trailer themes and 70% of the stuff in the sketchbook aren't even on the album. Like where are the House Atreides cues? The bagpipes only appeared for like 5 seconds in "Armada." If you look at the booklet, the Scottish pipers were credited. Where are the Lisa Gerrard vocals? Even the female war cry just appeared for like 10 seconds. It has been confirmed the complete album has 60 cues and this album only has 22. Is that just an attempt to get people to buy all 3 albums or wait for an extended edition? The strange thing is, even, I don't hear much battle cues either. I am still extremely excited to see the movie and hear the score in the movie but this album doesn't do much more me.

I actually like much of the sketchbook. All the themes and ideas are not always coherent but there is a clear, ethereal quality to them. "Moon Over Caladan" is much better than anything on the actual album. This is a strange release.

It will be interesting to hear from people who watched the film to confirm how much music is actually missing.

but that’s nothing new right? There are always a lot of cues missing. The complete score for dune has 61 cues!

And the bagpipes track is two times in the movie. And the cue you can hear the bagpipes for like 2-3 minutes is not released ;) but it’s in the movie. 

Also the cue „ripples in the sand“ is in the movie a different version (film version) the ending is much more better then the official one.

The really nice cue from one of the last scene is not released…

There are always good cues missing, it is what it is…unfortunately :)

If you had any questions about the score, ask me anything :)

19 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Where did you find the booklet?

14 minutes ago, badbu said:

the booklet is for the sketchbook not for the score.

and you can hear lisas voice in the cue house atreides for example 

For sure. But where is her voice on the album? They started the trailer out with her voice and it is not even on the album. Is it in the movie?

Maybe it's just me but the sketches album is a much more satisfying listening experience (especially the first 3 tracks). I feel the same about WW84 so perhaps it is not an accident. But I will give the score album another go later. 

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Maybe it's just me but the sketches album is a much more satisfying listening experience (especially the first 3 tracks). I feel the same about WW84 so perhaps it is not an accident. But I will give the score album another go. 

It's no great shakes, and no repeated listening will change this (in either form). WW84 is a much more enjoyable affair, if only due to the few cues that outrageously use a jolly major mode for a change.

Had my first listen now, and absolutely LOVING it. I'm so relieved that most of the "loudness war" tracks have been weeded out by Zimmer himself, so that it's now a wonderful, exotic, moody, otherworldly concept piece. Just as I had hoped for. Not sure I need that much whittling, after all.

I can enjoy this score as well, without expecting too much musical or harmonical changes or shifts. The "voice" Zimmer created here is just the essence of the whole score. Pleasantly otherwordly and not too Zimmer-ish.

For the film I'd have wished maybe for one or two more moments without music, but that won't really affect my general impression. After all, Villeneuve and Zimmer found plenty of scenes to remain unscored as the most expressive way to let them unfold.

20 minutes in and...meh. These sound designy OST's are okayish and there are some parts I enjoy. But I had hoped for something like WW84, then again Denis makes movies that suck out your will to live. 

@Edmilson guess we gotta wait for Wonder Woman 3. Patty to save the day, God knows Nolan & Denis won't. Emo bastards. 

Sounds like the ideal score will remove some of the similar sounding “mood tracks” and cut up and paste some of the more interesting material from the sketches? I’ll have to wait and see the film. 

Wonder what the Art and Soul portion of the score will sound like…?

I'm enjoying the score more than the sketchbook. The tracks are shorter, the ideas more precise. I never expected it to be a "hummable" score. But in the sketchbook some of the more droning tracks go on for forever whereas in the score things don't wear out their welcome so much. Leaving Caladan is a much punchier version of Moon Over Caladan.

I need to figure out what my favorite tracks are. I like Stillsuits a lot. It reminds me a bit of John Carter. But that's OK, I loved John Carter. It also sounds a little like Toto's Dune. But that's OK, I loved Toto's Dune.

I finally realized that that chattering whispering chanting reminds me of: The Plagues from Prince of Egypt.

The score feels a lot less navel-gazing and more like a story. The very least that I want from this score is a good album to read the book to. Mission accomplished.

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm enjoying the score more than the sketchbook. The tracks are shorter, the ideas more precise. I never expected it to be a "hummable" score. But in the sketchbook some of the more droning tracks go on for forever whereas in the score things don't wear out their welcome so much. Leaving Caladan is a much punchier version of Moon Over Caladan.

Totally agreed!

Listened to it this morning.  It was fine.  Nice and moody for a foggy morning

Not what I expected.  I guess he's saving the action music for a different album or an expansion

All the major action cues I can remember are on the album, actually. Most of the grating action stuff from the skecthbook was thankfully absent from the movie.

For some reason I can't find it on Amazon.de. Why should they not sell the album? And, will there actually be another soundtrack release for a major motion picture on CD anytime soon (speaking about Germany)? I hate to be forced to buy all this stuff via download lately.

43 minutes ago, paleo said:

All the major action cues I can remember are on the album, actually. Most of the grating action stuff from the skecthbook was thankfully absent from the movie.

For some reason I can't find it on Amazon.de. Why should they not sell the album? And, will there actually be another soundtrack release for a major motion picture on CD anytime soon (speaking about Germany)? I hate to be forced to buy all this stuff via download lately.

Yeah it's weird. I really hope CDs will be available in the future not only as overpriced "CD on demand" or how this is called nowadays...

This is the only page I found where the Dune OST can be purchased as CD

https://www.cede.de/de/music/?branch=1&aid=17447787&view=detail

A highly anticipated film with a less anticipated score. This is a very sound design heavy score from the sound design master himself. If you're looking for themes, melodies, motifs and musicality, then look elsewhere. If you like synths, pads, percussion, soundscapes, and general ambient noise, then this is perfect for you. Highly unlikely the film presentation will be much different. Rating: 3/5

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Listened to it this morning.  It was fine.  Nice and moody for a foggy morning

Not what I expected.  I guess he's saving the action music for a different album or an expansion

Don't expect to much, the score doesn't miss lot of what's in the movie.

Spoiler ahead

Spoiler

I haven't watch the trailer before watching the movie and I'm glad, because all the action sequences are in it and almost entirely.

There's not much action missing from the trailer