Giedi Prime - 08:05

Salusa Secundus - 4:12

Arrakis - 13:28

The Attack - 9:31

Deep Desert - 15:14

Fremen - 26:50

very atmospheric. 

but no missing cue from the movie :( 

Of course there's no missing cues from the movie.

It's especially made for a companion piece next to the book. There are some nods to some of the thematic material from the score. But otherwise it's its own thing

On 23/07/2021 at 10:57 AM, WampaRat said:

Haha. Watch. But between all those releases there will still be a great action cue that gets left off. And you’ll have to cut and paste bits of the suites that are from the film into chronological order ;)

Called it.

*sigh* I’m sure we can count on the sessions to leak or an academy promo sometime in the near future.

Well I’m excited to see the movie on Friday. Look forward to listening to this “music inspired by” album. I

Not that ratings/reviews matter.(Ive really enjoyed the soundscape Zimmer has made here) But I can already see CC from Filmtracks slamming this score. Something along the lines of

“The interminable Zimmer hype machine once again has promised so much and yielded little more than 4(!) hours of desert drones spread over 3(!) albums - which still  don’t included the few modest highlights that break up this desert slog…” ** etc etc 

something like that 😆

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That can't possibly be real.

Right?  He comes off bad there not because he's engaging with the trolls or whatever but because he reads like a complete moron.  Which... maybe he is a moron!  No requirement to be intelligent to be an artist.

Funny, as I'm sure he has many thousands of adoring fans... even members of the public can identify his Pirates of the Caribbean and Gladiator music, yet he picks a fight with someone who didn't like Dune (I didn't much either... there's any number of composers who could have done something more interesting, including Hans in a different mode, i.e. tuneful). Funnily enough, The World of HZ came up on my playlist and it's great, even if I only like about one out of every 3 of his scores, but the best ones are terrific (even if they are basically blocky and anthemic written on a keyboard type music, doesn't make it much less enjoyable). No need for him to be such a defensive dick when someone doesn't like it.

I still find it very strange that the sketchbook albums feels like a much fuller and rewarding experience. The actual soundtrack does very little do for me. And I don't really hear much difference between those demos and actual recordings.

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

I still find it very strange that the sketchbook albums feels like a much fuller and rewarding experience. The actual soundtrack does very little do for me. And I don't really hear much difference between those demos and actual recordings.

Karol

Have you seen the film? I love the sketchbook a lot more too. But after watching the film, you will understand why the materials were not used that way. The film is just much more gloomy, sterile, and drama-based than I thought. 

2 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Have you seen the film? I love the sketchbook a lot more too. But after watching the film, you will understand why the materials were not used that way. The film is just much more gloomy, sterile, and drama-based than I thought. 

It is not out here yet. I will definitely watch it. At the moment I can only judge it purely based on the album. I suppose a lot of it might bloom in part two and I am aware of that. 

Karol

It's even available on Amazon.de... The last two albums were both released there a day late, I think. I'm curious what the music is like... will know in an hour 

Listening to Art and Soul now. Only on the second track (and they are loooong tracks). I am a sucker for his House Atreides material I must say. So the “Forward” track is a keeper in my book. Love that semi-Celtic tune.

But the cynic in me so far thinks this is essentially one of those YouTube videos where they slow down a song an obscene amount and it sounds like a “new” piece of music.

Edit: sooo… I couldn’t listen to the whole thing…at normal speed. It became very apparent that a handful of these are truly slowed down versions of some of the tracks from the Sketches album. I listened to “This is Only the Beginning” at 2x the speed on YouTube and sure enough it’s just a massively slowed down version of a chunk of the Bene Gesseret suite from Sketches. Same with “Caladan” which is a slowed down portion of the “Moons over Caladan” suite. Ditto for “Arrakis” and “Fremen” - slowed down portions of existing material from Sketches. Can’t say about the other tracks - they’re mostly sound design. 
Perhaps they are “new compositions” for this book. But too my ear it sounds prettty cut-paste-slowed down.

I know the intent was to give readers some background ambience and this was an easy way to do it and make a little dough on the side. But still…

Oh wow, this was... disappointing, to say the least. It's really just a few extremely slowed down motifs... or basically nothing. "The attack" is particularly ludicrous. No action at all, just some background noise, sounding the same for endless minutes. I skipped whole minutes, and it still sounded the same. Fortunately I streamed this first. I am not buying this.

Yep. Probably won’t listen to this again. But I do enjoy a lot of the Sketches album and the OST. Seeing the film tonight (in IMAX) and then I’ll make my custom edit of the two releases:)

Saw Dune in IMAX last night. The sound mixing was juiced af. Like maximum volume for the score. So loud some dialogue was drowned out. Was it a good score? It was adequate and a unique soundscape. I thought it was appropriate for this film's universe. Will I listen to it outside of the film? No, there wasn't enough going on musically for me to really care. However, I will acknowledge Zimmer's effort in creating essentially 3 albums of quality sound design for this film.

I'm listening the Art and Soul. I can actually see this as being intended to be listened to as you read the book that it accompanies. But of the three Dune musical releases (what a crazy sentence) it is the weakest of the three. The soundtrack is still my favorite.

Less than 24 hours to go for me.

I see that there's finally a decent online copy out there for people to rip music from

I will wait for the actual sessions/FYC or however it comes out. But I do like the percussion of the 1st track.

There is only one theme that stuck out to me. I think it is the one for Arakis. Everything else is just a soundscape. If there are other themes, none jumped out.

The score didn’t interest me enough to bother with the soundtrack album. This will be a pass from me.

If Joker can win an Oscar for what essentially amounts to sound design, this score surely takes the cake. Zimmer fell asleep at his computer and when his head hit the keyboard, the autofill created Dune The Score.