Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

Been listening to this one after having seen the film and a bunch more details are sticking out to me now.

The Bene Gesseret material is just phenomenally creepy and really works like a charm for these space witches. I know that whisper/rap techniques was used in ASM2 and probably in a few other Zimmer scores. But it shines here.

From some of the unreleased material that’s starting to pop up online- I dig what some people are calling “Duncan’s motif” a short little BB/Dark Knight anthem of sorts. It’s sprinkled all over “Armada” on the CD. But here’s two other examples:

I love the little sorrow(?) motif that’s best heard in the cue “Stranded”. It’s simple - but really heart breaking I think.

Also I just love the ole’ Zimmer Crimson-Tide choir that pops up in “Blood for Blood” 

“AAAAAEEEEEIIOOOUUUU…” ☺️

There's a cue around the time they first arrive on Arrakis (not sure where on the track list, I'll have a look later), which is just chanting Dune terminology in the whisper-trance style. Thought it was really dumb and quite hilarious. It was all in rhythm too, Ben-e-ges-e-rit-Ar-rak-kis

Who thought that was cool...

If its when they first arrive, it might not be on the soundtrack.

I did notice the whispery style... It was used a lot in Dark Phoenix too.

Not sure if what they were saying then, but its funny if they just used Dune words here.. I hadnt noticed.

39 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Having never read the book, did Herbert create a language ala Tolkien? Or is it just Arabic they speak in the book/film?

He did not create a language although he did use lots of words borrowed from others. 

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score sounds like somebody strangling a cat, so...

More likely it was ghostwritten by his cat…when it stepped on the keyboard….

11 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Having never read the book, did Herbert create a language ala Tolkien? Or is it just Arabic they speak in the book/film?

Naaah he just mangles words from several languages and calls it a day*. I don't know what's going on in the movie.

*But they do seem to have superior archivist techniques and ritual access to ancient memories through magic which may explain the retention or popularity of very obviously ancient names.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

https://moviemusicuk.us/

Broxton's review. It's very extensive and covers both the Sketchbook and the score album

And, of course, this will inevitably lead to many people dismissing it as a drone, a themeless bore, ‘not music,’ or whatever other lazy shorthand people have for sci-fi scores that don’t sound like Star Wars. 

That is you @Jurassic Shark

Apparently, Zimmer confirmed that Part II is a go on his Facebook account (and sorry if it's been shared before). Great news!

[Edit: Yes, I see now it was mentioned in the film thread]

On 22/07/2021 at 9:33 PM, badbu said:

make sense :) 

Pauls Dream -> the First 10 minutes 

Ripples in the Sand -> Sandworm scene

no, Pauls Dream is the first part of the end credits   "Grains of Sand" (Herbert) teh second and the third is unreleased 

So glad part 2 will be coming!

I don’t know why, but I adore the simple chord shifts in “Herald of Change” that start at 1:19-2:20. It’s just very “space-y” (spicey?;)  and feels so vast and fantastical. The way the light choir floats over the top of the heavy base. It’s really terrific. That phrase pops up a couple times throughout the score and album. Majestic and yet foreboding. It’s a good one 😊 

5 hours ago, WampaRat said:

So glad part 2 will be coming!

I don’t know why, but I adore the simple chord shifts in “Herald of Change” that start at 1:19-2:20. It’s just very “space-y” (spicey?;)  and feels so vast and fantastical. The way the light choir floats over the top of the heavy base. It’s really terrific. That phrase pops up a couple times throughout the score and album. Majestic and yet foreboding. It’s a good one 😊 

I love the sequence of eight chords from 03:06-03:46 which appears throughout the entire score!

I know this track has a really obvious progression. The drum backing is usually one of the things I hate the most in Zimmer's music. The electric guitar should feel out of place. It's obvious and trashy. But then, against my better judgement, I quite like this track:

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Considering the Toto score, I'd say Dune could use all the electric guitars in the world.

The big ole’ electric guitar solo in “Shortening of the Way” of is one of my most favorite moments of the sketches album. Would love to see it incorporated into the film somehow. Felt like a nice homage to Toto there. 

8 hours ago, Romão said:

I know this track has a really obvious progression. The drum backing is usually one of the things I hate the most in Zimmer's music. The electric guitar should feel out of place. It's obvious and trashy. But then, against my better judgement, I quite like this track:

That is the one cue that I find irritating in the movie. The percussion is just out of place.

7 minutes ago, D_A_R_T_H said:

The physical release is on....hu...wait.... CD-R ???

According to some people on FSM board some of the OST copies shipped out were pressed CDs making this very confusing. But yeah, both albums I received were CD-Rs. It's a shame really. 

Karol

Having heard the cue presented to us by @Romão, I can honestly say that this is music that does nothing, says nothing, and - to these ears, at least - signifies nothing. Of course, I've not seen the film so I have no idea which scene this underscores, but I find it to be noise. I've heard vacuum cleaners that were more musical than this.

On 27/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, Romão said:

I wonder if it'd fit the movie better if it was ONLY the guitar or guitars

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Having heard the cue presented to us by @Romão, I can honestly say that this is music that does nothing, says nothing, and - to these ears, at least - signifies nothing. Of course, I've not seen the film so I have no idea which scene this underscores, but I find it to be noise. I've heard vacuum cleaners that were more musical than this.

I get all that you're saying and I agree to an extent (and of course, the equivalent Toto tracks feels much more transcendent), but I can't help but enjoy it. In spite of everything I think intelectually about the track, in spite of all the cheap tricks that it uses, it just struck a nerve.

Can't defend my taste any better than that

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

I get all that you're saying and I agree to an extent (and of course, the equivalent Toto tracks feels much more transcendent), but I can't help but enjoy it. In spite of everything I think intelectually about the track, in spite of all the cheap tricks that it uses, it just struck a nerve.

Works for me.

I haven't done anything silly like exhaustively tie thematic material from the Sketchbook to the OST but this was in the vein of the stuff that I loved. It's tuneful enough (it doesn't have a long line melody but it is musical) as opposed to the screechier Bene Gesserit stuff. I like the drums, I like the guitar. It just, ahem, rocks. It has a sorrowful inevitability.

Whether this was at Villeneuve's direction or Zimmer's own connection with the history of Dune, it has a Pink Floyd flavor to it. (Or it doesn't at all and I'm reading too much into it.)

Why the Atreides put all of their ginormous ships under water could do with some explaining though.

30 minutes ago, Romão said:

...and no-one would expect you to :)

Horses, for courses.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Why the Atreides put all of their ginormous ships under water could do with some explaining though.

Maybe firm land was too scarce and therefore wouldn't be wasted in having those huge ships occupying it

Maybe so that when Chani asks Paul "tell me of the waters of your home world, Usul," he has a better story to tell her. 

We had so much water, we stored our ships there. 

Is Caladan a desert country?

No: a fat country. Fat people.

You are not fat?

No. I'm different.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

Maybe firm land was too scarce and therefore wouldn't be wasted in having those huge ships occupying it

I mean considering how happily the Harkonnens bomb those ships while they're on land, maybe the Atreides were on to something..

I'm not sure that water is a very good shield against bombs and remote controlled torpedo drones. 

It was certainly a neat effect. It made more sense for the Atreides mothership to emerge from the water than Captain Pine's Enterprise in Into Darkness. 

17 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

I'm not sure that water is a very good shield against bombs and remote controlled torpedo drones. 

It was certainly a neat effect. It made more sense for the Atreides mothership to emerge from the water than Captain Pine's Enterprise in Into Darkness. 

But it looked so COOOOOOOOOL. 

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Is Caladan a desert country?

No: a fat country. Fat people.

You are not fat?

No. I'm different.

You know it never occurred to me that Jose Ferrer is in both Lawrence AND Lynch's Dune!

I never thought about it either. 

Too bad Miguel is no longer with us. Not that the wacky scientist from RoboCop had the screen gravitas to play Shaddam IV. 

That will be a major role to cast. 

I want Kyle McLachlan. 

20 hours ago, Brónach said:

I wonder if it'd fit the movie better if it was ONLY the guitar or guitars

Unscored or a very calm underscore flowing naturally into the next cue in space.

There are maybe two more scenes in the film, where I would have reduced or omitted the epic scoring as well.

Having watched the movie yesterday, I gotta say I hate this trend from directors like Nolan and Villeneuve to mix their oppressive sound design-y scores as loud as possible. Tenet, Dunkirk and BR2049 (in the sea wall scene) suffer from the same problem. In Dune's case Zimmer's music is so loud it becomes rather obnoxious and unintentionally funny when calmer scenes are scored epically. 

Meanwhile, John Williams' music for the recent SW movies is mixed very low, buried underneath a lot of sound effects. This is really an unfair world.

On 27/10/2021 at 10:04 PM, Romão said:

I know this track has a really obvious progression. The drum backing is usually one of the things I hate the most in Zimmer's music. The electric guitar should feel out of place. It's obvious and trashy. But then, against my better judgement, I quite like this track

Stylistically, there's a lot to like - I agree that the guitar works. My problem is that it sounds so ridiculously like Inception. Either it was temped, or he really wasn't making an effort to sound different or original there.