Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

On 29/10/2021 at 8:01 AM, crocodile said:

According to some people on FSM board some of the OST copies shipped out were pressed CDs making this very confusing. But yeah, both albums I received were CD-Rs. It's a shame really. 

Karol

This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between pressed vs CD-R?  I've only ever bought CD-Rs in blank stacks, none commercially produced, so I have no idea if it's just a visual difference or if there's a noticeable sound quality difference.

Longevity and resale value. 

Any kid with a computer can burn a CD-R. They have no resale value because they are copies. They also do not last as long as pressed CDs. 

Pressed CDs are more legitimate and theoretically last longer. 

I burned CDs in the late 90s that still read.

I have pressed CDs that are already junk. 

It's more than that. Pressed CDs are made at the plant, all at once. The information is pressed in with the design. A CD-R, even professionally, is someone in the company burning you a CD. They slide a blank disc in and write information onto it.

While a company can make a mistake mastering the pressed CD, imo it is more likely that the burned CD you get is going to have mistakes. Anyone who has ever burned a CD correctly knows that it is easy to fuck up. So by sheer probability, there is more opportunity for you to get a mistakenly burned disc or a faulty master. Not to mention the person responsible for burning it is another variable to consider. I don't trust it. I'm old-fashioned and still buy CDs but this is why I don't trust Amazon because they no longer have to advertise when they are selling a "professionally-made" CD-R. Every purchase is a risk but I like to minimize.

So no CD-Rs or Amazon for me. At least when it comes to music.

I don't burn CDs that often, but when I did, it was very easy to get the dreaded buffer underrun error if you were doing too much on the computer at the same time, if your speed was too high and your memory was over taxed. 

It was easy to burn CDs that would not read on older drives, while pressed CDs will typically be readable on all drives (notwithstanding scratches and mfg defects). 

I used to have a burner that could write at 52X, but the discs weren't readable on older drives. I typically burn at 16x to be safe now, and just step outside for a smoke until it's done. 

On 27/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, Romão said:

I know this track has a really obvious progression. The drum backing is usually one of the things I hate the most in Zimmer's music. The electric guitar should feel out of place. It's obvious and trashy. But then, against my better judgement, I quite like this track:

I understand and even relate to its appeal as an isolated listening experience.

But my God, was this laughable moment in the film...and I know I was not alone in this opinion, as several of my non-music friends started snickering during this scene.

Interesting; have to check this when I get home. But I think you forgot the Harkonnen screech (for a lack of better words), heard all the time when Rabban is on screen

10 minutes ago, paleo said:

Interesting; have to check this when I get home. But I think you forgot the Harkonnen screech (for a lack of better words), heard all the time when Rabban is on screen

Ah yeah. I’ll add it. Yes there’s lots of sound design elements that are almost used in a leitmotific way. Similar to some of Goransson’s work on the Mando scores. What I thought initially was just shrill grinding is actually used with a purpose.

This mechanical clanging is also clearly associated with the Harkonnen (or Rabban specifically, maybe):

And the Harkonnen siren/screech, as Paleo put it (it's heard more clearly in the Giedi Prime scenes):

14 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Tragic Noble Theme-The most “classic Zimmer” anthem tune. Similar to his Bach-inspired theme from Dark Phoenix.Seems to be associated with the burdens of duty/responsibility/leadership.

(Herald of change- 3:08-3:45)

(Visions of Chani-0:00-0:37)

(Blood for Blood- 1:17-1:43)

(Holy War- 0:00-0:57)

100% 

love that theme/motif 

It will be interesting to see what Zimmer makes of these themes/motifs he’s already created for Part 2. The 10 year old in me would geek out to get a proper power anthem out of that Tragic Noble theme (And I suppose it really WOULD sound like Dark Phx then lol)

I’m sure he’ll come up with some new material they can market as well. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if some of the stuff in Sketches pops up in part 2. Particularly the last half of “Song of the Sisters” I see that piece working really well for that Spice ceremony/orgy(?) that occurs. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I just hope this won't give JNH any ideas of composing a Dune-like score in the future...

But I know this score will probably be a popular temp track that directors will keep obligating their composers to imitate.

Tends to happen anytime Zimmer releases a score to a big film. (All war movies currently need to be scored ala “Dunkirk” for example)

I confess. Perhaps not war movies. But for sure a ton of thrillers have been copying that sound (shepherd tones, grinding electronics/drones, never wavering from complete tension and anxiety, wall-paper application of the music). It’s supplanted the “Bourne -style” of scoring thrillers I feel. I know Zimmer didn’t invent those things. But that style certainly become much more common after Dunkirk. 

I will never understand why RCP scores all leaked and apparently none of the composers seem to care about this. If they were to release immediate expansion and complete score they will at least gain some money out of it and proper presentation

Simply nonsense

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I will never understand why RCP scores all leaked and apparently none of the composers seem to care about this. If they were to release immediate expansion and complete score they will at least gain some money out of it and proper presentation

Simply nonsense

Yeah. I’ve always wondered why their scores tend to leak so easily. Is it because there’s too many composers /assistants to keep track of? And they figure they’ll never get caught? 

6 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

You talk as if WB would let it happen.

Well for WW84 the recording sessions leaked before the sketches, something like one or two weeks after the release and WB didn't do anything

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

FYC season is not that far off, right?

Right

but i don’t think we get the fyc „complete“ score. It will be the official score I think :/

I don’t know if I need the full score. But I hope the inevitable FYC promo has a clean version of “Flight to Spice Field” and a couple other cues with Duncan’s material. I think those would help round out the ost quite nicely for me:)

13 hours ago, WampaRat said:

I don’t know if I need the full score. But I hope the inevitable FYC promo has a clean version of “Flight to Spice Field” and a couple other cues with Duncan’s material. I think those would help round out the ost quite nicely for me:)

yes.

i need this cues :D

Bagpipe Army

Duncan Arrives

Flight to Spice Field

Worm Adjacent -> is the film version from "ripples in the sand"

Escape in Ornithopter

Jessica Challenged

Yeah I’m sure clean versions of those will find there way out. The ones that even have sfx actually don’t sound too distracting since the score and sound blend so well (until some noticeable dialogue kicks in)

Im actually completely fine taking a portion of the “House Atreides” sketch and using that for the BagPipe army cue. 

Very curious to here the Gurney songs when those pop up. 

• 3 weeks later...

01 1m01 Opening (3:14)
02 1m02b Herald of the Change (3:14)
03 1m04 Paul Tells Duncan His Dream (2:33)
04 2m10 Bene Gisserit Arrive (3:44)
05 2m11 Gom Jabbar (2:03)
06 2m12 Bene Gisserit Leave (2:01)
07 2m13a Paul & Jessica (1:46)
08 2m14 Leaving Caladan (1:57)
09 3m20 Sandwalk Video (1:29)
10 4m27 Flight to Spice Field (2:09)
11 4m28-29 Failed Harvester Lock (5:47)
12 4m30 Visions of Chani (4:30)
13 5m31 Sardaukar Chant (1:20)
14 5m32-35 Night On Arrakis (5:12)
15 5m36-37 Harkonnen Attack (2:41)
16 5m38-39 Betrayal (2:41)
17 5m40-41 Burning Palms / Duncan Kicks Ass (4:08)
18 6m43 Burning City (1:04)
19 6m44 Broken Tooth (2:27)
20 6m46 Holy War Across the Universe (4:10)
21 6m48 A Place to Hide (1:50)
22 7m50-51 Duncan's Sacrifice (3:41)
23 7m52-54 Escape In Ornithopter (3:09)
24 7m55 Chase Into Dust Storm (0:55)
25 7m55b Dust Vision (1:16)
26 7m57 Kill Them (0:54)
27 7m59-61 Stillsuits (4:40)
28 8m63-64 Run / Shai Hulud (2:42)
29 8m69 My Road Leads Into the Desert (3:57)
30 9m70 End Credits Dream (7:03)

TOTAL TIME - 1:28:17

Wow, it has most of the tracks that I was missing from the soundtrack. (outside of the Duncan tracks)

Edit: It also has the more organ heavy version of the Sandworm scene.

Why would Zimmer come up with a recurring motif for Duncan that everyone likes, and then not include it on the OST album, the other OST album, the third OST album, or the FYC album?

Maybe he doesn't like it?