Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Romão said:

The piece of choral music heard when Jessica is given the crysknife by the Shadout Mapes has been uploaded by its composer, Theo Green:

Very cool. It sounded way different than anything else in the score. Almost source-like. That whole moment when they cut to the various people praying and watching behind that iron grate felt like a scene from documentary. 

• 2 weeks later...

BAFTA rules OSCAR drools.

Seriously, their awards are far superior.

Look at Morricone and Zimmer for example.

They aren't hung up on all the crap Hollywood swims in.

They just give the award to what they consider the BEST score.

Very simple.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Very simple.

Score wise the BAFTA's are better indeed.

Morricone won for all the right scores, whereas the oscars only awarded him for The Hateful Eight.

Zimmer's win for Dune is actually his first BAFTA award, and much deserved. 

9 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Score wise the BAFTA's are better indeed.

Morricone won for all the right scores, whereas the oscars only awarded him for The Hateful Eight.

Zimmer's win for Dune is actually his first BAFTA award, and much deserved. 

I thought he won before.

Thanks for that info.

1992: Thelma & Louise

1995: The Lion King

2001: Gladiator

2009: The Dark Knight

2011: Inception

2014: 12 Years a Slave

2015: Interstellar

2018: Blade Runner 2049

2018: Dunkirk

2022: Dune 

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Very simple.

You're not serious.

2011: Skyfall over Lincoln (what a joke and I say that while being an absolute fan of Newman's score)

2010: The King's Speech over HTTYD/Inception

2003: Cold Mountain over Return of the King

If I was Nolan, and my collaborator had dumped me in favor for some remake, and my (self-proclaimed) original film (on which he abandoned me) had underperformed, my working relationship with the distributor had fallen apart, and yet the gig that my (ex)collaborator picked over mine's had gone to snag him his second oscar amongst all the other awards and recognition... mmm...

I don't think it's fair to hold Tenet's box office performance against it considering when it was released.  But I also celebrate the changing of the guard from Zimmer to Goransson so...

TENET was just a massive misfire in every aspect.

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

You're not serious.

2011: Skyfall over Lincoln (what a joke and I say that while being an absolute fan of Newman's score)

2010: The King's Speech over HTTYD/Inception

2003: Cold Mountain over Return of the King

I love COLD MOUNTAIN!😁

I didn't have much of a problem with anything you highlighted. I mean he's not entirely wrong about classic science fiction (and most big film music for that matter) being guided by Euro-centric music traditions...although he's ignoring specific genre/film context in some of those examples. And the European orchestra, considering its predominant role in world's biggest and wealthiest institutions, needs no defending...

But what makes him the authority on non-European modes of music? I cringed at 6:50, where he has a European white woman demonstrate South Indian konnakol (Carnatic percussive rhythms), albeit poorly may I add, and callously identify that as "rhythmic stuff" without an acknowledgement of its musical roots. NONE of that is original to Loire Cotler...that was a very basic korvai pattern any South Asian musician will recognize. Add to that throwaway remarks like "make that sound like a Tibetan war horn" and "ethnic landscape"...all of this reeks of cultural appropriation, exotification and white privilege, however impressive its assembly may be...all amassed to reinforce the Zimmer name and brand.

9 hours ago, Alex said:

I wish other scores got this kind of Vanity Fair piece.

It's an awards campaign. He and his team are pushing for puff pieces like this to reel in voters.

Watching the film...

It's good work by HZ but i wish the director had been more selective.

There's too much music which lessens its impact.

On 03/12/2021 at 6:11 PM, Edmilson said:

Directors like Chris Nolan and Denis Villeneuve love to mix their scores very, very loud on the movie. It was the same thing on Interstellar (which is a score that I like), Tenet and Blade Runner 2049. In Dune's case, the music is so loud sometimes that it's hard to hear everything else including dialogue. Sure, I have subtitles for their lines in Portuguese so I can understand what they're saying, but for people on English-speaking countries this must be infuriating.

On video the dialog was crystal clear in two track stereo

On 18/01/2022 at 12:19 AM, badbu said:

it's always the same with zimmer scores. The best cues are missing :) 

but the fyc score is really good. Everything i want is on it.

Well he eventually released a volume two if INTERSTELLAR.

And THE DARK KNIGHT

And it's still a 2022 Top 3 score. I may wish a true intellectual like i. e. Wintory or Greenwood would get a chance to develop a truly 'alien' score, which does not confuse complexity with elaborate layering and sound wizardry, but as it is, Zimmer delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the FYC of Dune, which is a nice presentation of the score as heard in the movie, despite some boring bits.

I still don't care for the wailing woman parts, but I really liked the theme on 6M46 Holy War Across the Galaxy. This cue reminded me of some of the epic 2000s Zimmer scores, like King Arthur, The Da Vinci Code and Pirates (specifically, the cue from the Jack Sparrow sacrifice scene on Dead Man's Chest).

On 20/02/2022 at 5:45 AM, Brundlefly said:

What kind of assholes do you guys have?!

Bleached. 

• 1 month later...
On 04/04/2022 at 2:14 PM, Drew said:

Dune is not a good score. It’s nauseating and hurts the film, which needed something less dreary to compensate for Denis’s drab style. I don’t care about however many degrees of world

building if the final product makes me sick.

Screenshot_2022-05-31-09-53-30.png

On 04/04/2022 at 10:14 PM, Drew said:

Dune is not a good score. It’s nauseating and hurts the film, which needed something less dreary to compensate for Denis’s drab style. I don’t care about however many degrees of world

building if the final product makes me sick.

Agreed 100%.

Toto did it much betterer.

10 hours ago, Romão said:

Apparently, they're combined both the OST and the Sketchbook in a single, 3cd and more affordable package. It's been announced by Mondo, but has already started popping in other retailers. To whoever it may interest:

https://mondoshop.com/products/dune-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-deluxe-edition-3xcd

Looks nice. I am tempted but already got the CD-Rs so this might feel bit unnecessary.

But it is really good news. I hope Mondo releases some more CD albums of stuff we never got. Like some of the Marvel stuff, for example. 

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

I hope Mondo releases some more CD albums of stuff we never got. Like some of the Marvel stuff, for example. 

That would be great.

Would like to hear the bonus tracks from Ant-Man And The Wasp in HQ

Arrived today from Amazon:

20220610_175509.jpg

20220610_175530.jpg

20220610_175543.jpg20220610_175600.jpg

Wouldn't call it exactly "deluxe" packaging (certainly not a digipack as advertised) but it's nice to have this on CD. The sketchbook is actually a great Zimmer album.

Karol

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is one of those times where I wonder if people listen to large parts of the Soundtrack because they actually enjoy it. Or because it's an interesting construction to look at.

Because most music of Dune to me serves no purpose outside of its purest form as aural texture.

To me music needs an injection of meaning. I watched the film and I find no meaning in it. 

For me, these two scores are great to dissect and analyze but for a listening experience they need some trimming and rearrangement to be fully enjoyable. And my appreciation for them has grown over time, but the soundtrack albums aren't as interesting to listen to on the whole.

I quite enjoy the themes and their variations. They’ve grown on me a lot. Like genuinely the melody of the main theme and the tragic noble theme are perfect in my mind. Listening to the music outside the film is like going into a dream-like state.