Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

There's nothing wrong with having the opinion that he probably didn't write much for it, however he presented that opinion as if it was a fact

On 9/10/2020 at 9:55 AM, Jay said:

There's nothing wrong with having the opinion that he probably didn't write much for it, however he presented that opinion as if it was a fact

I think you just have to look at what's available to make rather reasonable guesses.

Zimmer is generally pretty generous about giving credit, and surely enough, a lot of the animated films do contain many cues where it is Zimmer and someone else. It's actually hard to find any where he is solo for a good chunk of it (Spirit is about half from what I see). And the few we don't really know much about (The Boss Baby, The Lion King) do have their tidbits that give way to where someone was merely being a guiding force (more so the former). And in the case of something like The Simpsons Movie, the complete lack of cue credits and having that many people involved is pretty suspicious (plus Pirates 3 being that same year).

However, given how the process always differs from project to project (look at the quote in the middle here), there's very little we can deduce outside of actually having been there for the composition process. HanZ is very much a guy who loves the collaboration process, and is rather upfront about it. So whether or not it is truly 100% him means less than if you actually liked the music or not. And there has been years where he's gotten many films and none of them are animated, so really, where's the smoking gun supposed to be? Especially when people like Horner and Elfman have had their share of busy years as well. So at the end of the day, does this all ultimately matter? You can think his animated works are lesser, but that's about it really.

(Oh, and since the first two Madagascar films show many cues where he isn't even listed as a composer on the track, shouldn't that be more of a reoccurring thing on the rest of his animated works?)

• 4 weeks later...

Water Tower Records released Zimmer's cover of Eclipse as a single today

Eclipse (From Dune: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Trailer Version) · Hans Zimmer

Eclipse (From Dune: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

℗ 2020 Legendary Features Productions US, LLC

Producer: Hans Zimmer
Composer, Writer: George Roger Waters

TIL Roger Waters' actual first name is George

• 4 weeks later...

No pop songs, just a rendition of the Main Title.

The closest that DUNE comes to a pop song is the End Title, called Take My Hand.

There's also Desert Theme, which is a band-only performance, and not heard in the film (but it is on both versions of the score).

Never did get why they used that demo version of the main title on OST. When I heard the expanded edition, it was almost as was listening to main theme for the first time

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Toto & Marty Paich's (and Brian Eno's) DUNE is a bloody masterpiece.

Well, the " Prohecy Theme" sure is great!https://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-1976-Brian-Eno/dp/B08HRTTGZP/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=brian+eno+film+music+cd&qid=1605481293&sprefix=Brian+eno+fi&sr=8-1

• 8 months later...

In countries where it is already Friday, two tracks from the OST album are now available to purchase/stream

Paul's Dream 7:03

Ripples in the Sand 5:14

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/pauls-dream-dune-music-from-the-soundtrack-single/1574745522

https://music.apple.com/au/album/pauls-dream-dune-music-from-the-soundtrack-single/1574745522

etc

They slow and meticulous, ramping-it-up type tracks, with lots of really interesting vocal work

Definitely not what you'd think of as "lead single" type tracks, more of the world-building type tracks between setpiece tracks.

Can't wait to hear the whole OST album now

9 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I heard that the 2 cues are from the clip shown in IMAX

make sense :) 

Pauls Dream -> the First 10 minutes 

Ripples in the Sand -> Sandworm scene

6 hours ago, Jay said:

In countries where it is already Friday, two tracks from the OST album are now available to purchase/stream

Paul's Dream 7:03

Ripples in the Sand 5:14

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/pauls-dream-dune-music-from-the-soundtrack-single/1574745522

https://music.apple.com/au/album/pauls-dream-dune-music-from-the-soundtrack-single/1574745522

etc

"Not available":( - only in my country?

I like the excerpts so far. Quite the usual Zimmer touch -- very Man of Steel-y guitars -- with the orientalism we (sadly) were all expecting. Yet, it is quite bold here and there. Knowing Villeneuve, he will use the music a lot to build the scenes and that could work quite well.

Also, the interview on GQ is really neat. As usual, it feels nice to have him credit everybody around him. And also knowing and being "friends" with half the planet :D

I like the e-guitar with those slightly strange intervalls. There are clear references to the 1984 score.

I also love the drum roll-like percussion. Overall these two tracks are very promising!

Overall I'm very happy with the situation: Ludwig Göransson was able to work with Nolan and created this incredibly aggressive and relentless sample and e-guitar based score to Tenet, while Zimmer is able to mature his relationshsip with one of his futurely very important collaborators.

The two tracks are cool. I love the textures and soundscape he’s creating. Kind of a mesh of Interstellar, Black Hawk Down, and Gladiator.

Melody-wise he seems to be riffing a bit on what I call the “anarchy theme” from TDK with a touch of the mermaid theme from Stranger Tides.

Looking forward to the rest of the score and especially looking forward to seeing the film.

“Anarchy theme” (0:00-1:25)

Mermaid Theme

13 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

The two tracks are cool. I love the textures and soundscape he’s creating. Kind of a mesh of Interstellar, Black Hawk Down, and Gladiator.

Melody-wise he seems to be riffing a bit on what I call the “anarchy theme” from TDK with a touch of the mermaid theme from Stranger Tides.

Looking forward to the rest of the score and especially looking forward to seeing the film.

“Anarchy theme” (0:00-1:25)

Mermaid Theme

that's funny because i thougt the same :) 

I do hope there’s some moments of awe/wonder/nobility scattered throughout the score. Not just tension/danger the entire time. I get that it’s a “serious” film and there is a lot at stake in the story. But it’s not Dunkirk. Hans should be free to explore various parts of this world. Beauty of the desert, mystery, even love in there too. 

The score will have 2 releases, one Sketchbook release (Paul’s Dream is from this album) and then later the OST (Ripples in the Sand will appear on this release).

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210723005099/en/Three-Epic-Dune-Soundtracks-Featuring-New-Music-From-Academy-and-Grammy-Award-Winning-Composer-Hans-Zimmer-Coming-From-WaterTower-Music

Plus a companion soundtrack to the Art and Soul of Dune Art book coming in october

The article only mentions digital releases, though. No cd releases planned?

Haha. Watch. But between all those releases there will still be a great action cue that gets left off. And you’ll have to cut and paste bits of the suites that are from the film into chronological order ;)

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

The score will have 2 releases, one Sketchbook release (Paul’s Dream is from this album) and then later the OST (Ripples in the Sand will appear on this release).

from where get u these infos?

i thought Paul’s dream is the cue from the first 10 minutes from the opening scene