theMaestraX

It's Time for selling!

How do you find listing items without a price, thus 'forcing' interested parties to contact you?

I've found in the past this detracts from interest.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

How do you find listing items without a price, thus 'forcing' interested parties to contact you?

I've found in the past this detracts from interest.

JW CDs are soooo expensive these days.

So this maestra* asked me how much more than $100 I was willing to pay for 1941! ROTFLMAO I already have a copy that I purchased second-hand for $20, and it probably will be re-released soon anyway. In other words, hell no!

*female form of maestro

The 1941 OST was released by Sony Music, so no re-issues forthcoming unless they change their policy

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 1941 OST was released by Sony Music, so no re-issues forthcoming unless they change their policy

Sony? I thought it was Varese.

Yes.  Your CD from the 1990s was released by Varese.

The original soundtrack album that came out in 1979 was not.

What does Varese releasing a CD in the 1990s have to do with Sony Music's new policy of not licensing to outside labels?

Have you had your coffee today?

What does Varese releasing a CD in the 1990s have to do with Sony Music's new policy of not licensing to outside labels?

Have you had your coffee today?

I have no clue about, nor am I very interested in, rights, various soundtrack versions and other types of business 'nuts-and-bolts'. I just saw you say "1941 OST", and I immediately thought of the Varese CD. Didn't even know that Sony had released the original LP. So to a noob like me, how does this work? Sony has the rights to this forever? Varese was allowed to release the score by their "grace" in the 90s, and LLL subsequently with the expanded release a few years ago, but this will not happen anymore?

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have no clue about, nor am I very interested in, rights, various soundtrack versions and other types of business 'nuts-and-bolts'. I just saw you say "1941 OST", and I immediately thought of the Varese CD. Didn't even know that Sony had released the original LP. So to a noob like me, how does this work? Sony has the rights to this forever? Varese was allowed to release the score by their "grace" in the 90s, and LLL subsequently with the expanded release a few years ago, but this will not happen anymore?

1979: Spielberg makes the film, JW records the score, JW assembles an album program out of the recordings, the album is released on LP by Arista Records, a label that would eventually be owned by Sony Music.  This means Sony Music has the mechanical rights to release any part of the score to 1941 on any medium forever (unless they elect to permanently sell away their rights).

1989: Sony Music grants Bay Cities Records a license to release the LP program onto CD, this eventually goes OOP.

1997: Sony Music grants Varese Sarabande Records a license to release the LP program onto CD, this eventually goes OOP.

2011: Sony Music grants La-La Land Records a license to release the LP program onto CD, LLL also licenses the rest of the music that was not on the LP from Universal Pictures, and releases a 2CD expanded release that combines both and eventually sells out.

2015: La-La Land Records re-issues their 2CD set again, it eventually sells out again.

2019: Sony Music announces they will no longer issues a license to outside labels to release any of the music they own, meaning only Sony Music themselves can release the OST program onto a physical media or digitally, and no expanded release can happen at all unless Sony Music changes their policy OR Sony Music decides to work with Universal Pictures themselves (and Universal Pictures is willing to work with them).

Any part of the score.  Universal Pictures could not, for example, release highlights of music that wasn't on the OST themselves.  Because Sony Music has the mechanical rights to the whole score.