Junkie XL’s TERMINATOR: DARK FATE (2019)

John

Holkenborg is like Brian Tyler in that they each basically have the one film score they can do, and they just kind of gussy it up as needed for whatever disposable film they're asked to attach it to. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

If Zimmer composed Dark Fate, the film would have walked all over the box office record of Endgame

Not what I was suggesting. But Tom has scored a few films that flopped or seriously underperformed.

Tomb Raider, Mortal Engines, Alita Battle Angel, The Dark Tower....

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But Tom has scored a few films that flopped or seriously underperformed.

Tomb Raider, Mortal Engines, Alita Battle Angel, The Dark Tower....

But I'm suggesting that if they were scored by Zimmer we would have seen another story. Junkie's name doesn't attract the crowds.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, even Zimmer can't save an obvious movie turkey. But his other movies drove the audience to the theatres.

That's the most delusional thing I've read in quite a while. Thank you for that! 

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Zimmer is a God now, he doesn't even need Nolan anymore.

OTOH, BR: 2049 wasn't an audience magnet. Is the empire of Zimmer beginning to show some cracks? Will he too be salvaged by Netflix, just  like Snyder and Scorsese? 

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

That's the most delusional thing I've read in quite a while. Thank you for that! 

Stick around, you have seen nothing yet.

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

How was BR2049 indicative of Zimmer starting to show cracks - it seemed like a decent score.

Because this time, despite Zimmer's name on the poster, considerably less fans showed up. Was it a temporarily dip or did we see the beginning of the end of the Zimmer era? Remember, all things come to an end. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That doesn't make any sense, Alex. 

Okay, some things are forever, I guess. The Pyramids of Giza, for instance. But Zimmer?!

I don't think Zimmer's name attached to any film is what will corral audience demographics. Where are the statistics showing a correlation of Zimmer's involvement being a factor of Box office success? 

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Because this time, despite Zimmer's name on the poster, considerably less fans showed up. Was it a temporarily dip or did we see the beginning of the end of the Zimmer era? Remember, all things come to an end. 

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Williams seems to have absolutely no influence on film music anymore.

What? Didn't you see the torrent of social media responses to the trailer music that wasn't Williams at all? Even music he doesn't produce is widely lauded!

4 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Williams seems to have absolutely no influence on film music anymore.

And yet, in the '70s and '80s, we all thought it would it would last forever. If it can happen to Williams, it can happen to Zimmer too.

Has Williams' influence swayed? You know, many composers for film and tv these days will always cite him as an influence and inspiration. As Williams has aged since those golden years, it's only natural to see a decline in interest, however, his reputation is still there, his clout and respect all intact and still very much an influence.

To give Netflix & Co. its due: there seems to be a production template with a number one agenda that says 'no music that has its own voice'. As long as it sounds like a) source or b) non-descript, unspecific sound design/music mishmash it will be allowed to pass through, but the director needs to be real strong to enforce a real score with character, i. e. Polanksi or Spielberg.

• 3 years later...

The best parts are:

-The direct samplings from T2's I'll Be Back

-The final fight track

-The new theme

Can't remember much else about it. But then that seems to be true of most of Junkie XL's soundtracks. As shit as Genisys was, it had a more memorable score.