John Williams and your family

Marc

I don't think my family has anything against John Williams, but they are into other music. They recognize him as "that guy that makes music for all those movies", and I'm kind of a black sheep in my musical preferences compared to those around me. They really don't understand this whole passion, but they acknowledge it. Granted, I didn't have a full image of film scores until I joined JW Fan, so I'm trying to share what I know with others who care to hear.

My father, the only one with similar traits to me, was always more of a Morricone guy, and then all classical. 

Thankfully, the family puts up with my Williams (or other) playing at max. volume every morning.

Most of my relatives recognise his style by now. My mother hates most of his music passionately but sometimes calls me 'my John Williams', particularly at the time of the last Black Friday for obvious reasons. My grandfather is mostly into baroque, but I've taught him to appreciate JW's music.

My parents and siblings are well aware of my interest in film music and John Williams, but not much more than that. They probably know a handful of his scores. My father is a classical music lover, but I've never been able to warm him over to film music very much. Only marginally.

I rarely tell anyone about my film music fandom. People ask me what kind of music I listen to and I give them some sort of vague response, like, "All kinds." What the Hell kind of question is that anyway? If they happen to hear me listening to Congo in the shower, I'm not explaining myself.

When the subject of film music comes up, I don't even chime in, even if whatever someone is saying is flat out wrong or plain stupid. I'm like Mother with the fly at the end of Psycho. This "hobby" (As I hear people referring to it on here) is for me and the JWFan forums.

2 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I rarely tell anyone about my film music fandom. People ask me what kind of music I listen to and I give them some sort of vague response, like, "All kinds." What the Hell kind of question is that anyway? When the subject of film music comes up, I don't even chime in, even if whatever someone is saying is flat out wrong or plain stupid. I'm like Mother with the fly at the end of Psycho. This "hobby" (As I hear people referring to it as on here) is for me and JWFan forums.

That's sad, man. :(

My wife is coming around to becoming a JW fan, although she says she can't stand many of his writing hallmarks (busy writing, multiple timbres, complex harmonies, percussion, etc.). You know what she loves, though? Michael Kamen's Robin Hood. And (god help me) John Barry (yuck). But I love her still!

1 hour ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I rarely tell anyone about my film music fandom. People ask me what kind of music I listen to and I give them some sort of vague response, like, "All kinds." What the Hell kind of question is that anyway? If they happen to hear me listening to Congo in the shower, I'm not explaining myself.

When the subject of film music comes up, I don't even chime in, even if whatever someone is saying is flat out wrong or plain stupid. I'm like Mother with the fly at the end of Psycho. This "hobby" (As I hear people referring to it on here) is for me and the JWFan forums.

Wouldn't you rather listen to Psycho in the shower?

The last time that I can remember that my family sat down to listen to an OST, with me, was in 1975. We were all in the lounge, and I put PLANET OF THE APES on the stereo. I loved it; everyone else was shaking their heads.

I never did it again.

Although I have close friends, no-one that I know of (outside of JWfan, of course) comes anywhere near to my love of film music.

Everyone in my family likes/appreciates John Williams to some degree but I’m the only one listening to film scores outside of the movie. My Dad likes all kinds of stuff but the most he would listen to from a movie soundtrack is the main themes. He has some old movie soundtracks and soundtrack compilations, like Mancini and that kind of thing.  He would never listen to an entire orchestral movie soundtrack.  

My siblings will sometimes attend LTP concerts with me and my wife.

I love this topic.  My family loves him but in a far more casual way.  For example they have no musical training so I can gush about his brilliance in a particular passage, they listen eagerly but I'm speaking greek to them.  As for my siblings, we grew up with his stuff so they all love it as entertainment rather than musical and historical significance I might apply to it.  They get joy out of it.  They've been to several of his concerts with him conducting but probably wouldn't seek it out if I wasn't involved in some way (like bought the ticket for them or was attending as well) but they were clearly having a great time.  The young ones in my family like him in a "oh yeah, I like him" but he isn't someone they have much interest in following and dissecting the way I would. 

My brother did go with me to see Williams conduct, which surprised me a little because he is definitely a casual fan and those tickets were pretty expensive.

Anytime someone hears a Williams theme on TV, my family will shout 'Oi, it's that music you like'. That's the extent of their relationship with Williams.

My siblings listen to game and anime music so they understand my appreciation for Williams, but will not reciprocate it by listening to it outside of perhaps Rey's Theme, or A Window to the Past, very accessible pieces of music...

On 3/26/2019 at 1:23 AM, John said:

John Williams is my family.

John Williams is Obi-Wan Kenobi, who with his magic, wakes me up from my coma... every time when I go look for the sand people.

So my family 👍🏻JW.

😬

On 3/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, Arpy said:

Anytime someone hears a Williams theme on TV, my family will shout 'Oi, it's that music you like'. That's the extent of their relationship with Williams.

My siblings listen to game and anime music so they understand my appreciation for Williams, but will not reciprocate it by listening to it outside of perhaps Rey's Theme, or A Window to the Past, very accessible pieces of music...

You need a better family!

On 3/25/2019 at 8:16 PM, Iron_Giant said:

busy writing, multiple timbres, complex harmonies, percussion, etc

It seems she pretty much hates music in general!

2 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I'm glad I'm not related to JW. I like having hair.

It's overrated. Too much maintenance.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:38 PM, Thor said:

My father is a classical music lover, but I've never been able to warm him over to film music very much. Only marginally.

What about classical-oriented film music, such as Lady Jane?