Star Wars Music is Getting Worse - Beyond The Last Jedi & John Williams - A Music Philosophy Review

BTR1701

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

TLJ did.

From memory, either Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith (or both) also relied a bit too heavily on The Force theme, so it’s a trap that Williams has fallen into before.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Could it be that Rian Johnson temp tracking most of the film with old JW Star Wars music and not having an actual spotting session with the composer have something to do with it.

This. Exactly this. 

9 hours ago, BTR1701 said:

I don't agree with all of this guy's analysis, but he does make some good points, especially regarding the overuse of the Force Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB4lULC87Oo

What a load of bollocks.

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

This video is awful. He clearly doesn't understand film music or how any of Williams' or Giacchino's scores work. I was cringing throughout this video. 

In general, the "video essay" is a flawed format because of how laborious and long it is. However, I do think that he makes a couple of good points.

Humans are incredibly adaptive, and so it is important to avoid excessive  repitition, because there comes a point where - no matter how awe-inspiring a piece of music is, how beautiful a shot is or how captivating a story or piece of drama is - if you showcase it too long, it just becomes banal.

The Force theme, beautiful as it is, is well on its way to becoming that.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Could it be that Rian Johnson temp tracking most of the film with old JW Star Wars music and not having an actual spotting session with the composer might have something to do with it.

I'm very sure it has. That's why some of it sounds like TOD.

I was going to say it sounded like Revenge of the Sith. I know the film was temp-tracked with it, and there's even a visual nod to that film in The Last Jedi.

16 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Happily for me, I'm not the kind of person who would even click on a link with so idiotic a premise.

Meaning you don't even want to listen to reasons or arguments, if you just get a sufficiently succinct title that lets you judge a book by its cover, and revel in that wonderfully unfounded feeling of supriority.

In short, you're the kind of person that is helplessly superficial.

Oh no, Williams didn't use the Force Theme AGAIN, did he? That theme that is universally loved, that accompanies scenes concerning the power of the force, connects characters musically?

If he used it only three or four times in the film people would still complain - they'd say 'Ermahgurd, like, he only used it like three times, like what even?'

9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Oh no, Williams didn't use the Force Theme AGAIN, did he? That theme that is universally loved, that accompanies scenes concerning the power of the force, connects characters musically?

If he used it only three or four times in the film people would still complain - they'd say 'Ermahgurd, like, he only used it like three times, like what even?'

I am somewhere between you and the naysayers - in TLJ it does feel like every semi-inspirational speech or minor turning event gets the Force theme.

A well reasoned, sensible post! Thank you @Alex, completely agree.

For all the criticism the score receives, the level of artistic and technical prowess on display is still vastly superior to anything Williams' contempories are writing for film. And he's writing over three hours worth of it!

Some people are just in desperate need of perspective. 

Oh, its a good score, to be sure.

And, as is said in the "essay", it at least has a chance to be heard. On the whole, I'd say that makes it more effective as a film score to The Force Awakens.