Best Film Music Cues timed to a cut or edit?

TheUlyssesian

Or the other way round.

I am inspired to create this thread by one of the single greatest timed music/cuts. The cut here at 1:03 is just sensational. Start watching at 0:47 to see it in context.

Other good ones in recent times - 

Start watching at 6:49. There's a great cut at 7:17 and then again another one at 7:29.

Starting at 0:33. The cut at 1:07 from the chairs to the house flying reduced me to blubbering puddle and I did not recover till the end of the movie. Gia wielding his baton like a cudgel here to make audiences weep.

Starting at 1:17, the cut at 1:35 is magnificent. 

Any other great timed music/cuts?

There is a very nice “timed” moment in Jurassic Park that comes to mind; when the helicopter arrives at Isla Nublar, there is a coinciding “clash” in the score when the waves crash into the island.

There's another moment in that scene from JP after the chopper lands and JW clutches his cane. That whole scene is a perfect marriage of visuals and music. I miss Steven Spielberg and JW.

51 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

There's another moment in that scene from JP after the chopper lands and JW clutches his cane. That whole scene is a perfect marriage of visuals and music. I miss Steven Spielberg and JW.

Yep, that's probably my favorite all-time film scene because the music is so good and also melds so well with the scene:

The whole thing is simply a lovely burst of fantasy and wonder. And its sense of rhythm is just spectacular. But yeah the cane sync is amazing (time-stamped, with some context, above). 

I was just thinking there should be a “short scored moments” thread for stuff like this, like we have for the music alone.

One from Last Jedi I like, first 11ish seconds, all those little phrases matching up with some edit or action, but you don’t even really notice it. Pretty slick.

This one from Force Awakens, for sure, that cut at 2:05-6 with the trumpet blast.

And for the reverse, edits synced to music, those two cuts of Marty popping up after the kiss are just so good.

3 hours ago, Will said:

Yep, that's probably my favorite all-time film scene because the music is so good and also melds so well with the scene:

The whole thing is simply a lovely burst of fantasy and wonder. And its sense of rhythm is just spectacular. But yeah the cane sync is amazing (time-stamped, with some context, above). 

I used to think this passage was an example of overscoring, albeit delicious overscoring.  But, it is rather awe inspiring how John is both merrily writing music that seems to be doing it's own thing in the background, apart from its purpose in the film, and how this same music is so integrated into the whole texture of the scene.  This is art, mes amis. 

• 6 months later...

One that comes immediately to mind:

The dark modulation that happens as Arroway reacts to Hadden saying "Maybe not out, but certainly being handed your hat". It's chilling, and captures, completely, her realisation that her time might be coming to an end.

There's a scene on Legends of the Fall, on which Brad Pitt is leaving the family farm and leaving behind his lover and family, that Horner scores with an epic performance of his theme, that builds and builds when he is riding the horse, until the scene cuts to his boat in the middle of the sea. On that cut, the music is complimented with cymbals and brass, and the effect is simply wonderful.

Here on the OST:

I remember watching this movie when I was young, and despite thinking the whole sequence is very silly (as is the movie), that cut perfectly matched with Horner's classic score was one of the moments that cemented my love for his music and film music in general.