48 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• Jaws (directed by Steven Spielberg)
    • Alien (directed by Ridley Scott)
  2. 2. Which score do you prefer?

• Jaws (composed by John Williams)
    • Alien (composed by Jerry Goldsmith)

31 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Fight night! The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world! Shark of Amity vs. Alien of LV-426!

And Xenomorph was K.O.d in the first round.

It’s getting a theatrical re release this October for its 40th anniversary. I hope to catch it in a city by me then. 

6 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I still wonder why the xenomorph wasn’t interested in eating Jonesy. Grateful it didn’t, but still.

The cat could probably run away from thr alien better. And when the alien saw it in the carry box, it was more interested in the lady anyway. And in the Director's Cut, the monster gives the box and good shove and that's it.

Controversial, I know, but I'm agreeing with @Thor: ALIEN, for both.

I appreciate both the score and film of JAWS, but, imo, ALIEN has better craftsmanship, both cinematically, and musically. I know it might sound like a betrayal, especially coming from the

"World's Greatest John Williams Fan" ©&®,

but, er...there it is 

Let's say it like this: no movie should be ashamed for being said to have a lesser level of craftmanship than Alien.

The reason Alien works until the chest-burster emerges, is that even just as a space-exploration movie, its utterly captivating. To quote a friend "this is space as you've never seen it before." Sir Ridley Scott is heard to beat in that regard, in general.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Since I couldn't decide, I voted to bring more balance to the Poll.

So you voted wrong because more people voted correctly? 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

So you voted correctly? 

Yes, he did.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Let's say it like this: no movie should be ashamed for being said to have a lesser level of craftmanship than Alien.

The reason Alien works until the chest-burster emerges, is that even just as a space-exploration movie, its utterly captivating. To quote a friend "this is space as you've never seen it before." Sir Ridley Scott is heard to beat in that regard, in general.

The dramaturgy in this movie is 100% perfect. The prime example tension-building. Not even Jaws comes close.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Controversial, I know, but I'm agreeing with @Thor: ALIEN, for both.

I appreciate both the score and film of JAWS, but, imo, ALIEN has better craftsmanship, both cinematically, and musically. I know it might sound like a betrayal.

The real betrayal would be to vote for the inferior film and score.

Personally, I couldn't care less about dramaturgy, even though it's obviously very good. ALIEN's superficial story is waferthin -- people running away from monster in dark corridors. But it's ALL about mise-en-scene, and the Freudian imagery (and the aural/musical mirroring of that) that brings it to a whole other, visceral level. Pure art in a traditional Hollywood framework.

So is JAWS, in a way, but it can't really compete with the ambition on display in ALIEN. There are three movies that constantly shift among my alltime top 3 -- JURASSIC PARK, ALIEN and ALIENS.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Personally, I couldn't care less about dramaturgy, even though it's obviously very good. ALIEN's superficial story is waferthin -- people running away from monster in dark corridors. But it's ALL about mise-en-scene, and the Freudian imagery (and the aural/musical mirroring of that) that brings it to a whole other, visceral level. Pure art in a traditional Hollywood framework.

So is JAWS, in a way, but it can't really compete with the ambition on display in ALIEN. There are three movies that constantly shift among my alltime top 3 -- JURASSIC PARK, ALIEN and ALIENS.

I agree with you, but why do you say you couldn't care less about dramaturgy?

A bit of an exaggeration for rhetorical purposes. I obviously care about dramaturgy. But a story in a film is less important to me than how that story is being staged.

Everyone who voted against Jaws in either poll is simply bat shit crazy stupid. Any credibility you may have had has gone out the window. There is no listening to your explanations. 

39 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Everyone who voted against Jaws in either poll is simply bat shit crazy stupid. Any credibility you may have had has gone out the window. There is no listening to your explanations.

I kinda like your style, especially when you think you're right about something.

16 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I kinda like your style, especially when you think you're right about something.

There is a difference between thinking and knowing.. Its beyond your ability to grasp Alien voter.

All you Alien voters don't even deserve a chest burting death let alone being a great white victim. You don't  even deserve a Tiger, Bull, or Blue shark attack. What you deserve is to suffer the bite of a nurse, or a shovel head, or a small black tip bite. Then when you go to explain your pitiful scare you can suffer the indignity and derisive laughter you deserve. 

The only scene in Jaws that scared me was the head under the boat bit, which was cheap and sucked away any tension or suspense the movie was building up to that point. Spielberg should have cut that scene out and waited for the shark popping out when Brody was tossing out chum to be the first real jump scare. I was only scared of Alien when worried for the cat's life.

The summer camp massacre in Piranha, on the other hand...

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

All you Alien voters don't even deserve a chest burting death let alone being a great white victim. You don't  even deserve a Tiger, Bull, or Blue shark attack. What you deserve is to suffer the bite of a nurse, or a shovel head, or a small black tip bite. Then when you go to explain your pitiful scare you can suffer the indignity and derisive laughter you deserve. 

Have you ever been diagnosed with autism? 

My kids watched Jaws for the first time a couple of months ago. They jumped out of their skins throughout the movie, probably around 5-10 times. Jaws has lost none of its power to scare, they were riveted to the TV for the duration. It was a wonderfully satisfying experience to share with them.

20 hours ago, W0$ said:

Have you ever been diagnosed with autism? 

No and that is a really stupid question. Perhaps you should learn about austism. Austics tend to not speak their minds.