Best Film?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Best Film?

• Pretty In Pink
    • Some Kind Of Wonderful
  2. 2. Best Soundtrack?

• Pretty In Pink
    • Some Kind Of Wonderful

I probably confuse all three of those mentioned. Seen them all in the eternal wasteland of 80's/90's tv but only the more outrageous stuff (Ferris/Weird Science) ever stayed with me.

That's right.

"Why are you such a wanker?"

"Because I get off on it!".

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

If i remember right this one, not Ferris, had a great Bill Paxton performance...?

Frankly, Pub, there's never been a bad Bill Paxton performance.

Of those choices, PRETTY IN PINK for both.

But films like THE BREAKFAST CLUB, SIXTEEN CANDLES or FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (the latter of which has no Hughes connection) are superior to both.

My goodness, I never realized that!  Bond stole from Hughes?  Who would have thought!

For me, Some Kind Of Wonderful is second only to The Breakfast Club in terms of Hughes's writing.  Pretty In Pink is great, and, despite being very 80s, has aged very well.  But, Some Kind Of Wonderful really goes deeper.  Hughes and Deutch were able to make a movie that was both an entertaining, substantial teen romance, and a rather cynical, rather open-ended coming of age story that has something to say about human nature, and about American class dynamics, where money is not necessarily the only factor.

Highly recommended.    

In the John Hughes movies, I have only watched Some Kind Of Wonderful and The Breakfast Club.

IMO, Breakfast Club is a better film, but the story of Some Kind Of Wonderful is better.

Haven't watched Pretty in Pink yet.