Hans Zimmer to compose score for Amazon’s LOTR series!

John

On 4/1/2019 at 7:35 PM, Richard Penna said:

It also means we'll probably get Balfe's idea of Middle Earth. ....Yaaaay... :(

Balfe doing Middle-earth would literally be the worst case scenario for me. I’ll take anyone else. 

People guve Djawadi’s Thrones a lot of stick but I’ll take that any day of the week and twice on Sundays instead!

After The Hobbit movies, my expectations for any Tolkien series are so low that I'd be willing to give anything a chance, including an unconventional scoring choice.  But my imaginary Vegas odds put Djawadi ahead of anyone else at this point.

I’ll probably be hung for it but I’d probably be ok without Djawadi given some of the options out there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, Thor said:

I'm probably one of the few who would actually love to hear a Zimmer score in the LOTR universe, had this been true.

Hey....what the hell am I doing in the LOTR sub-forums anyway?

*sneaking out again*

Just listen to Game of Thrones - that's a good approximation of what Zimmer's music would sound like in the LOTR universe.

I was going to say that a Zimmer take on LotR would likely be more melodic and varied than GoT, then I remembered I've never watched or heard GoT beyond a few clips, and I think the main theme is a bit meh.

But I do think Zimmer's got a better range than Djawadi.

• 2 years later...

Let's take this opportunity to ask who will probably take over the series. Do you think it will be a classic composer for movies (Doyle, Giacchino, Howard,...) or maybe someone more unknown? Very difficult to answer in my opinion.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/soundtracks/comments/o771e8/amazon_lotr_series_who_will_compose_the_music/

btw

I would be very unhappy with Hans Zimmer. I think LOTR deserves a proper orchestral sound and not this electronic clutter based on 3 pop chords. 

Actually, I'm generally unhappy that a series is being made. Everything these days is just remakes and extensions for the sake of commercialization.

But that's another topic!

So, who's doing it?

52 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

So, who's doing it?

I have some evidence is to who might be doing it, but (1) I want to wait for Fellowship of the Fans to divulge it first and (2) I'm still not all that sold on the veracity of the information itself.

Good lord above. I spotted the thread title and... So easy to be fooled by an out-of-season April's joke.

As for the actual composer - I am guessing it is Giacchino, because 1) His Jurassic World 2 director is on board as a producer, 2) He's been taking far fewer projects than he's used to - many of which were simply themes for another composer to score the gig with.

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Tom Holkenborg?

3 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

As for the actual composer - I am guessing it is Giacchino

As far as we can tell, no and no.

I think Fellowship of the Fans is going to reveal it in two weeks' time. I'll reveal it here fractionately prior to that.

Strange. I was almost certain it is going to be Giacchino. Everything seemed to fit. If he is not involved then the only obvious option is Djawadi - not the most inspired choice, but I suppose his work for GoT was successful enough to the eyes of those who are making the call here.

I would have said David Arnold too - an unlikely choice given his low-profile works of late I guess, but he seems to be friends with Giacchino and, the same director/composer relation that had me assume Giacchino was going to get this gig, might have worked in Arnold's favor. Like one of those cases where we hear a composer was asked to score a film,the composer turned down the offer but said, hey, I know someone who can.

I'd be surprised if Howard Shore returned but that'd be cool too - even if I didn't really dig his work for the Hobbits. Supposedly Conrad Pope did a lot of heavy lifting on those films. Maybe he'll be give the opportunity, the same way Simon Franglen got his for the Avatars?

20 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

I'd be surprised if Howard Shore returned but that'd be cool too - even if I didn't really dig his work for the Hobbits. Supposedly Conrad Pope did a lot of heavy lifting on those films.

For now, I will say that, based Fellowship of the Fans' information - and this isn't to be taken as hard fact - Howard Shore is seemingly involved in some capacity (beyond just a "themes by" credit, appearantly).

And this issue of Conrad Pope's supposed involvement in composing The Hobbit had been debunked by @Doug Adams and @Jim Ware. He was just the orchestrator (as he had been in a large number of John Williams scores) and conductor.

20 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

The only obvious option is Djawadi - not the most inspired choice, but I suppose his work for GoT was successful enough to the eyes of those who are making the call here.

I would have said David Arnold too

Neither of the above, if Fellowship's information is to be believed.

If Shore is involved to some degree then their composer of choice must be someone who is happy to 1) score a gig using someone else's ideas and 2) handle the sort of tunes this man writes. That's not something many composers like to do in general - especially not when the reference themes have the complexity of Shore's writings.

This news doesn't rule out RCP's involvement, but it does make it harder to imagine the usual RCP sound could work in this film - should those folks get involved.

11 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

That's not something many composers like to do in general - especially not when the reference themes have the complexity of Shore's writings.

Basically, that man needs to study Adams' The Music of The Lord of the Rings and Music of The Hobbit. There already a huge bank of thematic ideas that are perfectly applicable to this series: the Lorien theme would probably be very appropriate for Galadriel, the Diminishment of the Elves, the History of the One Ring, the Descending Thirds, etc...

The issue is more in composing new themes that are cut from the same cloth as the old ones.

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

if we can trust you at all

By all means, don't. Like I said, I'm not entirely sold on the veracity of the information myself, but at least its something. Maybe its the sort of thing where, once its out, will end-up getting verified after-the-fact by those involved.

Anyhow, its not my scoop to divulge so far ahead of time.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

By all means, don't. Like I said, I'm not entirely sold on the veracity of the information myself, but at least its something. Maybe its the sort of thing where, once its out, will end-up getting verified after-the-fact by those involved.

Anyhow, its not my scoop to divulge so far ahead of time.

Now, listen carefully. Who is going to be a composer on project like Lord of the Rings is very important here. To give us news incorrect news would be most unwise. And you should not suggest you have a name unless you're sure. And say nothing if it's Hans Zimmer.

In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all, Chen G.

I'll present it with what I feel is the right degree of certainity.

I don't think its from a bad source, for what it counts. But as a historian and ex-intelligence, unless it comes from a proper production document that I see with my own eyes - which it doesn't - I will be reluctant to treat it as absolute fact.

Meanwhile, I'll stop responding to composer names before the right name gets out there by elimination.

Bear McCreary or Mychael Danna ?

On 9/9/2021 at 3:48 PM, Drawgoon said:

If Shore is involved to some degree then their composer of choice must be someone who is happy to 1) score a gig using someone else's ideas and 2) handle the sort of tunes this man writes. That's not something many composers like to do in general - especially not when the reference themes have the complexity of Shore's writings.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:34 PM, Chen G. said:

Meanwhile, I'll stop responding to composer names before the right name gets out there by elimination.

I'll report the news just prior to sunday.