Should modern re-recorded scores make a comeback?

Matt C

Well I find that so much of modern film music is designed for and created in the studio, that it's tough to authentically recreate it for a re-recording without a largely different interpretation anyway (which could be good or bad).

Not so much the case with the old school stuff by the likes of Williams, where everything you need is essentially dictated on the page.

22 minutes ago, KK said:

Well I find that so much of modern film music is designed for and created in the studio, that it's tough to authentically recreate it for a re-recording without a largely different interpretation anyway (which could be good or bad).

Yeah, it can definitely be good or bad. IMO, a good example of the former, is The Last of the Mohicans.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Recordings with East European orchestras can of course sound as good as recordings done with orchestras in London or Oslo er elsewhere, if given the same amount of rehearsal time. :)

I don't know if they have improved the quality of their recordings but back then I listened to the first Prague recording that Goldsmith did after he abandoned the National Philharmonic Orchestra and it sounded like Scheiße. Needless to say, it was a sad day because I really was a fan of his rerecordings.

• 1 year later...