Who will become Spielberg's go-to composer after JW?

Fabulin

Who will become Spielberg's go-to composer after JW?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will become Spielberg's go-to composer after JW?

• I know, but they are all dead!
    • Thomas Newman
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Someone else (Who?)
    • Random Hook-ups
    • Spielberg will retire
    • David Newman

Besides a few other minor collaborations and misc productions where someone else picked the composer, Spielberg has been a Williams-total for quite some time. I wonder whom will he work with after Williams passes away or retires definitely.

8 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

He won't use composers anymore, he'll just insert pop songs into the proceedings. 

I would be kinda down for Spielberg to do a soundtrack score tbh. Although he can be a little, erm, "basic" with song choices.

I think he might also just end up doing more dramas with no/minimal score.

I want to emphasize that Steven Spielberg has never collaborated witn Michael Giacchino in his primary role as director. He has never pulled that lever. 

I think he will just ask to different composers for different projects, without having a new "go-to" composer. Of that list, Silvestri and Newman could be among the possible collaborators. I hope for Don Davis, but I don't think it's likely...

19 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I want to emphasize that Steven Spielberg has never collaborated witn Michael Giacchino in his primary role as director. He has never pulled that lever. 

Pull the lever, Kronk!

Nobody I care about.

Have to say, I dislike the majority of film music, but John Williams is an exception.

Would've been nice if JW, Spielberg, and Bruce Broughton collaborated more. Bruce Broughton is a good composer.

Christ Almighty, is it at all possible to have a serious discussion about this? A million replies, and all of them goofy jokes....

It would have been very interesting if he reverted back to Billy Goldenberg -- Spielberg's regular collaborator before JW -- but he's 83, so I doubt it.

I think he will continue doing what he's done so far; use various composers of the big 80s and 90s generation, tailormade for whatever project he's doing -- like Alan Silvestri, Thomas Newman and David Newman. In the 90s, when Zimmer was involved with Dreamworks, Spielberg said that he would be a likely collaborator in the future, so there's that. I would love to see and hear a Spielberg/Zimmer score.

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He WILL have a go-to composer because he repeats his film-making crew all the time. He does not like jumping from collaborator to collaborator.

Well this is demonstrably false. He has already used two different composers in Williams’ absence. 

I would rather not ever hear a SS zimmer or giacchino collaboration. I do like his trying some of the competent composers.