Most Anticipated Score 2003

jamesluckard

Hi, just wondering what scores everybody's most looking forward to this year.

I just read that Craig Armstrong is scoring the new Tomb Raider film, as well as Richard Curtis's new Brit-Rom-Com Love Actually.

He seems like a perfect match for Tomb Raider's subject matter, with his very modern, orchestral-meets-synthesized-meets-world music sound. Never saw the first film, but heard the normally fantastic Graeme Revell's score, which was an excruciating hour of tuneless Muzak -- but what could you expect when he had only ten days.

I'm equally excited by the prospect of Love Actually, both film and score. I'm a huge fan of Richard Curtis. Four Weddings, Notting Hill and Bridget Jones feature the most witty, playfully intelligent screenwriting around, and it's a huge departure for Armstrong.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only score I was looking forward to this year was Goldsmith's Timeline score which was rejected.

Oh, and speaking of rejected scores according to Music from the Movies, Craig Armstrong has been dropped from Tomb Raider 2. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Neil

I'm looking forward to Timeline...well not anymore. ;)

I'm also looking forward to The Hulk...well not anymore. :(

Tomb Raider 2 looks good...well not anymore. :(

Justin -Getting PISSED. :P

The only scores I look forward to are those written by one John Williams.

I am looking forward to seeing how the LOTR trilogy ends, and I'm sure the music will be good, if not great.

This is the same view I had in 2002, when I looked forward to JW's two scores, and was happily surprised while watcing "Road to Perdition," "Far From Heaven" and "Signs."

And sorry that your three most anticipated scores got the boot, Justin.

And sorry that your three most anticipated scores got the boot, Justin.

Interesting terminology, as I'm looking forward to getting the boot of Timeline at some point. :P

Neil

I'll probably end up buying Shore's Return of the King score, but i'm not looking forward to it that much. Other than that, something will have to jump out at me in the theatres this summer into the fall. Actually, i'm kind of anticipating the score for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, but thats just because i'm a huge fan of the books by O'Brian. I don't even know who is scoring it, but the books are great. I also tend to only really anticipate Williams scores.

I think Shore's score will much of the same drivel the first two were. I try and I try but still, I really don't get it. It's so boring and innane most of the time. The second score was the worst of the two so far.

Well, there's not much, besides Return of the King.

I guess this'll give me some time to buy some older JW scores. Let's see, on top of my list are: Superman, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Lost World, the Indy scores...

- Marc, busy, busy, busy... :angry:

I'd totally forgotten about Master and Commander.

It's being overseen by three composers. Richard Tognetti is involved with Russell Crowe's character's violin music, apparently Crowe learned to play it.

The two composers are Iva Davies, who I haven't heard of, and Christopher Gordon, who composed the absolutely stunning score to the Showtime remake of On The Beach which aired in 2000. It's my favorite book, and although the flick was wildly uneven and incompetently directed, the score was breathtaking, with one of the most poignant love themes I've ever heard.

Can't wait to hear Gordon get to do a big time Hollywood blockbuster, it's always cool to listen to someone talented's first chance at the big time.

Weir's scores are always a hodge-podge, like Michael Mann's, but brilliantly so, just like Mann's. I read an interview that said this is because Weir listens to music when he's preparing the films, and uses what he likes and thinks is appropriate for each scene.

He is also willing to go out on a limb with young, untested composers and seemingly wacky choices, which always end up a perfect fit, which is admirable.

The score im looking forwards to, but it's not in 2003 is the Dementor's theme and the entire score for POA(Prisoner of Azkaban).

Thats if williams decides to do it.

I think Shore's score will much of the same drivel the first two were.  I try and I try but still, I really don't get it.  It's so boring and innane most of the time.  The second score was the worst of the two so far.

Thank you !! I'm not the only one hear that thinks that Shore's music is simply not appropriate, too shmulsy at some point, too heroic, too boring, too easy, well, it's too much, as for some of the acting, the directing, the photography....

well, I do like some moments of the film, don't get me wrong... but it doesn't balance the fact that I felt embarassed during all the movie.

Well, to each his own.

- Marc, who thinks The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was one of the best films he ever saw, but is not going to preach others into liking it to. :angry:

I think Shore's score will much of the same drivel the first two were. I try and I try but still, I really don't get it. It's so boring and innane most of the time. The second score was the worst of the two so far.

Thank you !! I'm not the only one hear that thinks that Shore's music is simply not appropriate, too shmulsy at some point, too heroic, too boring, too easy, well, it's too much, as for some of the acting, the directing, the photography....

Yep, same here. I also like the FOTR score better than TTT, but neither is among my favorites, and I think they're highly overrated. Although I'm sure I'll get the third score, for the sake of curiosity and completion.

The score im looking forwards to, but it's not in 2003 is the Dementor's theme and the entire score for POA(Prisoner of Azkaban).  

Thats if williams decides to do it.

Yes!!! I really, really, really hope Williams ends up scoring this, but I'll anticipate it no matter what. :)

Ray Barnsbury - imagining Buckbeaks' Theme . . .

Add Alan Silvestri to the list of people who have been dropped from scoring a film. According to Alan Silvestri.com, "Alan has been released from Pirates of the Caribbean because of creative differences :-(

Alan was in the middle of writing and no music has been recorded".

Ocelot, is there something in the water out there that we need to know about?

Neil

Hi everyone...

The two scores I was looking forward to this year were Goldsmith's Timeline and Silvestri's Pirates of the Caribbean, but I won't ever get to hear them. :cry:

~Harry

I think Shore's score will much of the same drivel the first two were.  I try and I try but still, I really don't get it.  It's so boring and innane most of the time.  The second score was the worst of the two so far.

I agree.

I got disappointed in The Two Towers music more than I'd feared. I can't get tired of The Fellowship score, though; though I'm skipping the Enya's songs (she completely ruins the Shore's endeavor for me). But I began skipping past far too many tracks on TTT recently, which I hadn't expected to happen. Especially first two thirds of the score don't hold me spellbound anylonger, and it's getting worse with each new listens. And then you read the reviews where it's claimed that the TTT is far better than the FotR, more matured; I can't see why anymore. And the final 4 good tracks on TTT can't make up for the overall disappointment, yet they're still not par with Shore's score for the Fellowship.

Hmm, I'm waiting for the "Return of the King" and have hope that there will be also at least one more score worth listen to. Have anyone heard if Thomas Newman is scoring anything?

For the "FotR" and "TT"... I have been really disappointed with the first one. What I don't like most are choirs. There is too much of them! When I saw Lorien scene and heard the music I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. Choir for Nazguls, choir for Gandalf on the top of Isengard, for Balrog, for Lorien, for Boromir's death (there is more). Almost every supernatural or magical moment is scored with choir music. And these moments lost their magic cause I become used to the music and so to them also. I can't stand it! Thankfully the Ring and the Fellowship have instrumental themes...

I like "TT" far more than "FotR". It's more varied so the choirs have greater impact, it has Rohan theme, Treebeard motif and other motifs I also enjoy. I think thas Shore has improved on music to "LotR" and so I'm waiting for "RotK"

Aghem

There are no scores that I am looking forward too this year.

None,

zip,

nada.

the only highlight for me this year is the discovery of the marvelous score to Darkness Falls

The only things I liked on the first one were the 5/8 rhythmic thing when they run and even that was so monotone. He doesn't know how to make things different and to go places, also the main title statement, not really a theme, but it's a good one. That's it folks....

As for the climate here, composers seem to be the throw away, interchangable proffession of choice. Think of the director or producer like a little child and us composers as toys..... You have one, but then you throw it away for a seemingly better choice, only to find that the problem is boredom from the bloody movie!!!!!!!!! Besides, we don't care, we have no feelings, we're bred to take insult after insult.

the only highlight for me this year is the discovery of the marvelous score to Darkness Falls

By Brian Tyler who is now writing the score to Timeline.

Justin -Who is looking forward to Randy Newman's score to Seabiscuit.