Alan Silvestri's AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

As someone who thinks Silvestri is the very definition of generic, I will agree that his Avengers scores are much better than the shitty scores DC has been churning out.

I'd say this is good, rather than very good. I discovered Elfman/Tyler's Ultron score around the same time and that's getting a bit more playtime. Although that's mainly down to Elfman's material and his really catchy main theme in particular.

WIth Endgame it's just a bit too fragmented an experience to enjoy to the same extent.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Welcome to Marwen was his best score of 2018 anyway.  He put out his best Zemeckis score in 20 years and no one noticed because the film was such a gargantuan commercial and critical failure.

I would say in 10 years. But yes, it is indeed the best one he's done recently. I absolutely adore this suite:

Karol

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

I would say in 10 years. But yes, it is indeed the best one he's done recently.

Do you mean since Christmas Carol?  I love that one too but I dunno I group the Xmas ones separately.  Xmas music is its own other thing to me.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Welcome to Marwen was his best score of 2018 anyway.  He put out his best Zemeckis score in 20 years and no one noticed because the film was such a gargantuan commercial and critical failure.

Best since Beowulf? Beowulf is a very good score. Outstanding main theme, some beautiful softer themes, strong action writing.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Best since Beowulf? Beowulf is a very good score. Outstanding main theme, some beautiful softer themes, strong action writing.

I don’t enjoy the Beowulf score actually but I’ve known many proponents of the score over the years.  It never connected with me.

I was actually suggesting it was the best since Contact.  Not to say all the scores between are bad!  Just that this is the best since.  Marwen is the kind of I like best from Silvestri: sincerely sentimental and very centered on a main theme 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don’t enjoy the Beowulf score actually but I’ve known many proponents of the score over the years.  It never connected with me.

I would say a truly underrated score AND film. I think some of the material is so good that I hope Silvestri thinks about expanding some of it for concert.

I should probably also add a disclaimer that the finest two Alan Silvestri scores in recent years were written by Henry Jackman. ;)

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

I should probably also add a disclaimer that the finest two Alan Silvestri scores in recent years were written by Henry Jackman. ;)

Karol

I haven't listened to The Predator yet.  I enjoy his Kong and Jumanji scores well enough for what they are, but only in my shortened '90s Varese' style playlist versions.

I saw the movie again and Silvestri really did such a nice job with “Go Ahead.” I’ve always been indifferent to these movies/characters but 2:28 just makes me smile.

Also I don’t know if this has been discussed but is that tune at 1:50 from one of the previous scores? I feel like it must be a love theme from the first Cap movie but don’t recall...I like it, though, especially that pained phrase at 2:01.

For who is interested in my thoughts. I have reviewed AVENGERS: ENDGAME.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/05/avengers-endgame-alan-silvestri/

I also mentioned the Captain America theme :-) In different tracks though!

One Shot is indeed in the chronologically correct order on the CD

Also I guess the CD has undone a lot of track combining from multiple scenes.

Finally picked up the score. I will listen in my car. Take me a couple of days to get through it. I agree it is a very good score.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To stop myself from rewatching Endgame for the bazillionth time 🤪

Playlist name: Infinity War

1. Help Arrives
  2. Family Affairs
  3. He Won’t Come Out
  4. The One 
  5. Porch
  6. Main On End

I have similar playlist for The Force Awakens

1. Rey’s Theme
  2. Scherzo for X-Wings
  3. Finn’s Confession
  4. Maz’s Counsel
  5. The Ways of the Force
  6. The Jedi Steps and Finale

👻

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, a surprising amount of them, actually.

Aside from the obvious references to the original Captain America March, "Whatever It Takes" brings back the Steve and Peggy love theme and "Go Ahead" is basically a rework of "This is My Choice" (or 6M9 Goodbyes on the recording sessions) from The First Avenger (when Cap is on the Helicarrier saying goodbye to Peggy), although a little more emotional.

• 2 weeks later...

Weirdly "Whatever It Takes" (which underscores Cap seeing Peggy and Tony meeting with his father on the 1970s) would have been a better name for the cue accompaning Natasha's death. Maybe originally the music for the 1970s scene was called Not Good and the one for BW's jumping was Whatever It Takes, but then somebody switched them when assembling the album?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad that the first act of Endgame allowed Silvestri to return to his Forrest Gump/Cast Away/Contact roots, writing more emotional, touching music. I'm a fan of Totally Fine, the beginning of Becoming Whole Again (which underscores Cap's speech for the support group) and I Figure it Out, which brings back the Tony and Pepper love theme from Infinity War. 

But I want the score leak to come soon, because I really want to listen this short and emotional cue for Natasha. Sorry about the shit editing and the slow mixing:

• 3 months later...

I enjoy the most recent two Avengers scores as much as the next guy, but the deluxe editions are a laborious listen. I eventually decided to bite the bullet and go through both in one go, and tried to construct a roughly 40 minute "LP" style program for each based on my preferences.

Here's what I came up with, for anyone interested:

Avengers: Infinity War

The Avengers 

Undying Fidelity

He Won't Come Out

Field Trip

Help Arrives

Even For You

Morning After

Charge!

Forge

Get That Arm / I Feel You

Porch

Avengers: Endgame

Totally Fine

Arrival

No Trust

Becoming Whole Again

The How Works

The Tool Of A Thief

In Plain Sight

Tunnel Escape

Worth It

Portals

Get This Thing Started

The Real Hero 

Five Seconds

Main on End

• 1 year later...

Does my memory playing tricks with me?

Is this bit reused from another score or am I wrong? 

This track using parts of Don't Take My Stuff from The Avengers for sure, but I can't remember this bit.

7 minutes ago, mxsch said:

Is this bit reused from another score or am I wrong? 

Not sure if this is from other scores, for me it sounds like your typical Marvel score from Silvestri. Maybe is something from the first Avengers or Infinity War, Endgame reuses a lot of material from Silvestri's previous Marvel scores.

Just now, Edmilson said:

Not sure if this is from other scores, for me it sounds like your typical Marvel score from Silvestri. Maybe is something from the first Avengers or Infinity War, Endgame reuses a lot of material from Silvestri's previous Marvel scores.

That is a bit from Vitarays from The First Avenger, got it.

There is actually a ton of info for all reprises on wiki, plus I've added discovered one.

The score for Endgame would become the first Avengers film to reprise the established themes for Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and Ant-Man. "More Problems", a track from Pinar Toprak's Captain Marvel score, was reprised for when Danvers destroys Thanos's ship. As he did with Infinity War, Silvestri reprised the Infinity Stones motif in "The How Works", "So Many Stairs", "In Plain Sight" and "Gotta Get Out". The thematic material in "No More Surprises" from Infinity War is reprised in "I Figured It Out" to depict the relationship between Tony and Morgan Stark. Silvestri reused significant parts of Infinity War tracks "A Small Price", "Even For You" and "Morning After" in Endgame tracks "Destiny Fulfilled", "Not Good" and "Gotta Get Out", respectively, to mirror Gamora and Black Widow's sacrifices. A dramatic variant of "Porch", the violin piece from the end of Infinity War, plays as Thor leaves Thanos's homestead to depict how Thanos's victory remains.

In addition, Silvestri reprises various themes from The Avengers as well. Parts of "A Promise" are repurposed in "One Shot". The ending of "Don't Take My Stuff" is repurposed in "I Can't Risk This", when Future Cap fights Past Cap. Black Widow's motif, which debuted in tracks such as "Red Ledger", "Interrogation" and "A Little Help", is briefly reprised for the opening of "I Was Made For This" as the team mourns Black Widow. In addition, the opening of "I Was Made For This" is repurposed from "They Called It"; the motif first played when the Avengers mourned Phil Coulson, and returns when they mourn Black Widow. The ending of "I Got A Ride" is reprised in "Portals"; the track traditionally plays during a long take of the Avengers fighting. Parts of "Seeing, Not Believing" are reprised during the final battle in the track "Get This Thing Started". "The One", which plays when Iron Man takes the Infinity Stones, reprises the theme from "One Way Trip" when Iron Man releases the nuke in space. Another portion of "One Way Trip" is reused when Thanos's army disintegrates.

Silvestri reworked numerous tracks from Captain America: The First Avenger. The "Captain America Main Titles" are reprised in "Perfectly Not Confusing", when Tony returns Cap's shield. Part of "Invasion" is reprised in "Tunnel Scape". Also transformation moment from "Vitarays" reprised as ending for "I Can't Risk This". The ending of "Factory Inferno" plays when Cap grabs Mjolnir, and the first half of "Motorcycle Mayhem" plays when Cap wields Mjolnir against Thanos; both reprises are contained in the track "Worth It". Silvestri also reprised "This Is My Choice" when Cap passes on his shield and mantle to Sam Wilson.

I mean, that shows clearly the difference between a Silvestri sequel score and a Williams sequel score. I really like the endgame score, but it makes all other Silvestri Avengers scores obsolete. Each one evolved and got more mature. But each new one is just a development or variation of the same score. From Williams we get for every sequel really a new score. 

Home Alone might be the only exception. 

On 5/4/2019 at 6:15 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Someone on Reddit posted a pretty complete thematic analysis of this score. Link below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soundtracks/comments/bk68z6/avengers_endgame_full_score_analysis/

Wow, this is a great analysis! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found more callbacks to previous scores on my recent relistening of the album.

There is a motif in So Many Stairs, I Can't Risk This and The Tool of the Thief which sounds painfully similar to the music when Fury commands to put Helicarrier on the left and Cap sees the damage in the first Avengers. It also reappears in that score two more times.

Also ostinatos in You Shouldn't be Here sounds painfully similar too to the one which heats up things in the Invasion from the First Avenger.

Silvestri does bring back a lot of small moments from his previous Marvel scores for some reason. 

For example, in Endgame, the battle between Wanda and Thanos is scored with a little motif heard on the climax of The Avengers:

2:25 - 2:54

2:29 to 2:56

Don't know why he connected these two apparently unrelated scenes, but it does happen a lot on Endgame.