ALIEN: 40th Anniversary Shorts

A24

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Will it be better than Prometheus?

Obviously not. But they look really good for fanmade films. Can't wait to see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. I'm following the shorts -- something to look forward to every Friday.

Good stuff so far.

(but not that thrilled with their animated ALIEN: ISOLATION series, which is just a hodgepodge of the cut scenes from the game, really).

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Disney have announced the Alien series will remain in active development after the acquisition of 2CF, so that's good news.

Alien ... an experience for the whole family!

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

so that's good news.

Is it?

I've had more Alien than I can ever possibly take. Enough is enough already!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Disney have announced the Alien series will remain in active development after the acquisition of 2CF, so that's good news.

Absolutely. Although I hope it doesn't get "Disneyfied".

Unlike Chen, I can never get enough of the ALIEN universe.

The thing is, so much of what followed Cameron's film has been absolute dogshit. I actually trust Disney to course correct the series, unlike Fox.

While what Ridley did has proven divisive, no one can deny that his two prequels were far more interesting (and far more considered) experiments than those  godawful AvP abominations. Talk about cynical cash-grabs, reducing the IP to a cheap gimmick.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

While what Ridley did has proven divisive, no one can deny that his two prequels were far more interesting (and far more considered) experiments than those  godawful AvP abominations. Talk about cynical cash-grabs, reducing the IP to a cheap gimmick.

Far more interesting? I don't about that, man. Unlike some, I wasn't impressed with the Scott's visual presentation in the prequels. And it's exactly in this department that the first movie of 1979 keeps blowing my mind. The way it was shot, the way everything looks, you could clearly see that it was all about the art. Visually, he created a gritty version of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but then with a more 'standard' style of storytelling. He was trying to prove a point. 'Visuals' as a means to pull the audience into his world. 

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's strange to think that the Brandywine guys took one look at THE DUELLISTS, and thought "yeah, he'll do, for our horror flick".

They watched The Duellists (which won the Best Debut Award at Cannes) and they wanted Scott because apparently he could make a film look way more expensive than it actually is. The Duellists was made with almost no budget. And Scott wanted to make a sci-fi movie because he loved Star Wars. It made him realize that sci-fi is the perfect genre for creating a world.

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

they wanted Scott because apparently he could make a film look way more expensive than it actually is

There's any Ridley Scott production in a nutshell for you.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Unlike Chen, I can never get enough of the ALIEN universe.

Its not a universe, for me. Its a horror film, and an action film in Aliens. Its like Jurassic Park or Jaws in that it should never have been a franchise.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Yup. I'm following the shorts -- something to look forward to every Friday.

Good stuff so far.

(but not that thrilled with their animated ALIEN: ISOLATION series, which is just a hodgepodge of the cut scenes from the game, really).

Disappointed that they're not doing a more original thing, but that means we don't have to play the game, so I'm okay with that. (Though I'd be so pumped if they make a similar style of game in the future.)

Count me in as another person who loves the universe present in Alien, and laps up stories told in that world. The only thing is that the concept at its most basic level can yield very diminishing returns, and a lot of the media I've seen has mostly been a riff on the original and Aliens (like Isolation and Colonial Marines).

26 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Count me in as another person who loves the universe present in Alien, and laps up stories told in that world. The only thing is that the concept at its most basic level can yield very diminishing returns, and a lot of the media I've seen has mostly been a riff on the original and Aliens (like Isolation and Colonial Marines).

I don't have the nerves to play those first-person games (I never had, not even when I played computer games regularly in the 90s), so what I've done instead is to watch the entire gameplay of ISOLATION and COLONIAL MARINES played by someone else on Youtube! So I had seen pretty much all of the cut scenes in this socalled 'animated series', even if they had added a few extra scenes. But the gameplay animation is not something that translates very well to a straight, animated format. I'd rather have a totally new animated take on the ISOLATION story. There's a great deal of potential in an Amanda Ripley storyline.

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its not a universe, for me. Its a horror film, and an action film in Aliens.

Then there's the fact that every film creates a  different look, which doesn't help to establish a well-defined, coherent universe. But there are some things (besides the monster) that tie them together, I guess. You still know that you're watching an Alien movie and not a Star Trek or Star Wars movie. 

It's what sets it apart, and makes it so much better than other film series -- that each director has been allowed the opportunity to put his auteur stamp on the material. Wish a female director had had the chance to work on it, however. The idea of a Kathryn Bigelow ALIEN is tantalizing, to say the least.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I don't have the nerves to play those first-person games (I never had, not even when I played computer games regularly in the 90s), so what I've done instead is to watch the entire gameplay of ISOLATION and COLONIAL MARINES played by someone else on Youtube! So I had seen pretty much all of the cut scenes in this socalled 'animated series', even if they had added a few extra scenes. But the gameplay animation is not something that translates very well to a straight, animated format. I'd rather have a totally new animated take on the ISOLATION story. There's a great deal of potential in an Amanda Ripley storyline.

Ultimately I agree with you, but I saw the trailer after you mentioned this project's existence, and I was pleasantly surprised by how it looks (not just in a visual sense, I mean). Reminds me of a more hi-tech version of these computer animated "dramas" that were popular when I was a kid in the early/mid 2000's. 

I wanted to love the game so much, and the beginning is amazing, but after getting through some sequences with the xenomorph, I just couldn't play anymore, and I _love_ stealth games.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Then there's the fact that every film creates a  different look 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's what sets it apart, and makes it so much better than other film series -- that each director has been allowed the opportunity to put his auteur stamp on the material.

One of my favorite parts! I had a friend who watched Alien 3 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and he wants to play a game that feels like that film does...I don't think I've seen anything _quite_ like Alien 3, for all of its superficial similarities to the first one, and how often do you say that for a film sequel, let alone the second one?

1 minute ago, Thor said:

ALIEN 3 is a masterpiece, still Fincher's best film, IMO.

That's kind of insulting to Fincher considering he loathed that film and disowned it.  "No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me.".

4 minutes ago, karelm said:

That's kind of insulting to Fincher considering he loathed that film and disowned it.  "No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me.".

Alien 3 is his second best film. I liked The Game more.

Funny, I think that is his second worst movie, but I don't hate it like Alien3. I just don't find it anything special.

12 minutes ago, karelm said:

Did he hate the film for its premise, characters, etc., or his perception of the film as a result of the sheer, almost-career ending conflicts he faced while making it? If the latter, is enjoying that film that really disrespectful to him?

In interviews with Danny Elfman, when someone brings up his work for Spider-Man 2, all Elfman does is bring up that rift between him and Raimi at that time, he can barely even acknowledge the music itself. As the rift healed, he colors the story differently, of course, but it's obvious he associates everything about that project with a falling out with a friend. I think it's one of his best scores, is that an insult to Elfman?

24 minutes ago, karelm said:

Yeah, I know what he thinks of it, and the behind-the-scenes intrigue. But I still think it's his best.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

ALIEN 3 is a masterpiece, still Fincher's best film, IMO.

Oh, Wow. I was about to reply to another post in this thread, until I read this one.

ALIEN³ has always been my favourite Alien film, and always will be. The assembly cut is so much better than the TV. I'm not quite sure what puts it above the others (maybe because it has such a deep-rooted sadness, that I find myself really "feeling" for the occupants of Fury 161), but whatever it is, its bloody affective.

Well done @Thor, for a brave and provocative post, which I agree with 100%!

It's best to approach Alien 3 by forgetting all that auteur crap and instead thinking of it like a 1940s studio film where the producers were the decision makers and all Fincher did was direct it. Fellas, it's okay, you can admit the director isn't the "god" of the film he works on.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

The assembly cut is so much better than the TV. I'm not quite sure what puts it above the others (maybe because it has such a deep-rooted sadness, that I find myself really "feeling" for the occupants of Fury 161), but whatever it is, its bloody affective.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

The Assembly Cut is pretty good indeed.

Agreed! One of the things I enjoy about the film is that they set it in a well-established community, with its own values, hierarchies, and status quo, and the xenomorph is almost more of just the expedient means used to shake all of that up and watch the inherent conflicts play out.

The assembly cut is definitely the best, yes. And I disagree that it's "just a studio film". Fincher's trademarks shine through in almost every frame. Despite the difficult circumstances, he certainly managed to make the best of it.

I'd rather just live in a fantasy world where Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop came home to Jonesy and lived happily ever after. Then maybe xenomorphs come to Earth or something along with the crites, so Ripley and Newt (now having been taught how to wield firearms) has to battle both aliens with Jonesy as her kitty sidekick. And then she teams up with Ash from Evil Dead and I don't know, work with me here!

Related image

Alien 3 is a bit like The Last Jedi, in the sense that it completely subverted people's expectations. Everyone went in expecting Aliens II. Nobody could have guessed Newt and Hicks would die twenty minutes in.

7 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I went in expecting a good movie, and my expectations were subverted!

So what didn’t you like about it?

12 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Did he hate the film for its premise, characters, etc., or his perception of the film as a result of the sheer, almost-career ending conflicts he faced while making it? If the latter, is enjoying that film that really disrespectful to him?

I think he disowned it because he couldn't make it the way he wanted. Nor was he allowed to. He wasn't in control. It wasn't his movie. 

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

For once Alex, Jerry's humorous hyperbole is correct.

But Drax knows that 'dark and disturbing' is popular while you see it as one of the reasons people have a problem with Alien3.

3 minutes ago, dougie said:

How many of Michael Curtiz' movies or Victor Fleming's movies or Irving Rapper's movies were really their movies? Fincher needs to get over himself.

Not the same.