Star Wars IX The Rise Of Skywalker TEASER MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, lemoncurd said:

just the Dies Irae motif that is used in Burning Homestead from ANH (the cue that has been tracked into TFA when Rey catches the light saber in the forest).

That, Binary Sunset alternate, and the trotting chords at the beginning of the Ewok's concert arr. And the notes that end the first phrase of the Main Title, the half cadence. But it all boils down the same.

I heard a connection to this in terms of structure, feel, and the reuse of a bright E major ending (straight from ESB in TFA Teaser 2).

1 hour ago, Kühni said:

With all the amping up of older themes for these trailers, at some point I'd like for them to go the other way. Like, y'know, Duel of the Fates for two oboes and solo timpani, or something.

Sounds like an orchestrator's April fools or something lol

I really liked this trailer's music (at least after the opening boring music). Yes, @Faleel J.M., good catch: The Leia's theme arrangement here is essentially pulled straight from (what appears to have been) the trailer house alternate for the TFA Theatrical Trailer:

I've always loved this arrangement, so great to hear it used prominently today. 

Love the Dies Irae quote at the end as well. 

I don't think this can beat Frederick Lloyd's stunning TLJ teaser cue (so good many here, including myself, thought it must be Williams), but it's still very well done. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

You mean under the logo?  That was the Dies Irae stuff like from Burning Homestead

Oh right, I’ve just seen on Twitter that it’s Kylo Ren’s theme going from a minor to major key. 

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Oh right, I’ve just seen on Twitter that it’s Kylo Ren’s theme going from a minor to major key. 

That doesn't seem right to me.  Seems more like just a standard Dies Israe in a major key. 

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I just assumed it was some variation of Kylo Ren's theme, but I suppose Dies Israe is just as likely. 

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone else notice that the 4 notes we hear during the title reveal are the same last 4 notes of the Columbia Pictures logo? 😂

Yes!!

On 4/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, artguy360 said:

I enjoy these trailer house versions of JW music. It's fun and effective and perfectly fine until they crop up in an actual SW film. 

This was the first time it was ok, without those terrible zimmerdrums. 

Can't wait for the real deal😍

For a Star Wars super clear "out in the open" working of the theme, Giacchino uses it in The Master Switch starting at 29 seconds (with a bit of a beat between the falling notes that make up the two syllables in each word - Di-es – I-rae). (At least that is what I hear he is doing. Please correct me for those who disagree.)

As the wiki page states, Dies Irae means Day of Wrath, although sometimes it can be Day of Judgement. So, composers tend to use it when signifying something tragic or really bad is happening. It appears in a lot more than just film music. It pops up in all sorts of music (a nice list is on the wiki page referenced above). Once you hear it and know it, when it pops again somewhere else, you cannot miss it.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This happens with every new SW teaser or trailer though, so it's no surprise.

JWFan will analyse the fuck of out every morsel they get for the next few months.

This was basically the Jedi Council forums back in the prequel days. Especially AotC.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, Docteur Qui said:

It's the first four notes of this that you can hear in "Burning Homestead".

Here's the wiki page for more information

And it shows up all over the literature, like here:

here:

which was the basis for The Shining:

On 4/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, Alex said:

Was the music at the end a mix of Kylo and The Emperor’s themes?

Yes, I believe so. The cool thing is that the First Order theme is briefly part of the Emperor's theme.

What I want to know is why they bothered to get Williams to do the original Episode VII preview which amounted to hardly any music and nothing notable, but ever since they've gone with typical trailer music.

53 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

What I want to know is why they bothered to get Williams to do the original Episode VII preview which amounted to hardly any music and nothing notable, but ever since they've gone with typical trailer music.

Perhaps your question answers itself.

Also, TFA was a significant event as the return of Star Wars.  Subsequent trailers have just been trailers.

Trying to avoid the trailer but always like hearing the music. Seems like this might be a quality upload of the music only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1neOF-mYgk

As for the end bit, Dies Irae vs. Kylo's theme, it might technically be Dies Irae but the way it starts out is clearly meant to evoke Kylo's theme. Certainly the same kind of instrumentation you always hear. Not that it matters of course. Anyone reading into that is wasting their time. Highly doubtful the people making the trailer know all that much more about the movie than anyone else does, and they definitely have no idea what JW's score will sound like. Have they even started recording yet?

15 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Trying to avoid the trailer but always like hearing the music. Seems like this might be a quality upload of the music only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1neOF-mYgk

I can still hear the sound effects but they ripped the music channels better

8 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Have they even started recording yet?

I highly doubt Williams has even started writing yet, outside of some sketches he might have jotted down in the 22 months since finishing TLJ. And he probably integrated those ideas into his work for Solo or Galaxy's Edge.