Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker TEASER Discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Star Wars is about 20 hours long, and that's what's so powerful about it.

Which is exactly the right length to stop.

The MCU's 45-hour long and its WAAAY too much!

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Which is exactly the right length to stop.

The MCU's 45-hour long and its WAAAY too much!

It's 20 hours if you only watch the good MCU films.

41 minutes ago, Demodex said:

There's that many?

The ones I'd consider good, ie I enjoy them, are:

Iron Man

Captain America

Thor

Avengers

Winter Soldier

Ant Man

Guardians

Ragnarok

Infinity War

The rest are on a scale of okay to bad.

7 minutes ago, Knox Harrington said:

What with the forum continuing its protracted death spiral, I wonder if I jumped ship on the Discord too soon.  Still going strong?

Very.  Especially with Stu back.  

3 hours ago, Knox Harrington said:

What with the forum continuing its protracted death spiral, I wonder if I jumped ship on the Discord too soon.  Still going strong?

I left the Discord awhile ago. Every time I logged on, it was always Star Wars or Harry Potter talk. Bleh.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:45 PM, Fabulin said:

I just realized that the car that tried to run Rey over was Kylo's...

I bet they're going full Indiana Jones and Rey and Kylo, as the most powerful people in the galaxy, are now locked in a race to find the most Jedi/Sith artifacts. The Death Star II is one of the stops along the way and the Emperor's ghost features there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if several other legacy characters return as ghosts as well. In fact, I bet the Emperor is a red herring and someone like Anakin or Obi-Wan will feature more prominently. The concept art book for TFA (the same book with the underwater Death Star stuff) discusses the idea of Anakin's ghost retaining both light and dark aspects of his personality. Disney may not have a great track record so far, but a good writer could do a lot with that idea.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, leeallen01 said:

So who thinks they will retcon 'the chosen one' prophecy and make Rey the true chosen one and not Vader?

I think they've set it up so that there's a new chosen one in every generation and honestly, I'm ok with that.

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

So considering speculation is always fun, is that location with the death star piece actually the Endor moon?

It could just be a different moon orbiting the same planet.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, mstrox said:

(For those of us who liked it, four people hating on it kills any conversation)

Every time someone whines that there's too much whining, it kills conversation just as quickly. More to the point, it gives me something more to whine about myself after telling you all for the hundredth time how PJ's Hobbit and RJ's Last Jedi ruined my life. Do you not understand that I knew how to feed myself before you lot started giving trolls like me free food for thought? Look at you, you're desecrating the natural habitat that is my internet ecosystem!

On 4/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Disco Stu said:

What an unpleasant person.  You're like a bad smell, personified.

You sure that's not just you? Or all of us?

9fcd78af7314efdfd38ba45220712e3b.gif

22 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

I think they've set it up so that there's a new chosen one in every generation and honestly, I'm ok with that

That's why the ending I proposed in the Episode 9 thread is so perfect. 

On 4/12/2019 at 4:01 PM, leeallen01 said:

With Palpatine being back, that makes Vaders sacrifice and redemption in ROTJ seem pointless. He killed Palpatine to save his son, but his son became a miserable old man who died because he ran out of force battery, and then Palpatine just came back...

So Disney are now trying to destroy the meaning and power of the original trilogy. Thanks Kathleen. Thanks Rian. Thanks J.J.

It's great. You haven't lived life if you haven't faced your most prized moments turning into pointlessness. Frankly you sound like a 10 year old. 

The mythological forefathers of Star Wars have always been about the endless, pointless struggle and this idea that your deeds matter, and speak volumes about you, especially in the face of pointlessness. 

35 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

The movie ends with Luke and Uncle Owen buying two different droids and everything turning out to be just a dream.

Expectations SUBVERTED!

Movies, like ROTJ, can have positive endings were everyone lives happily ever after. It’s allowed.

These new films make the original trilogy feel useless now.

But Vader’s redemption was a bad way to end it so it doesn’t matter now.

8 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Movies, like ROTJ, can have positive endings were everyone lives happily ever after. It’s allowed.

These new films make the original trilogy feel useless now.

But Vader’s redemption was a bad way to end it so it doesn’t matter now.

Yeah, and I suspect they really would end the trilogy with some binary sunset scene, because ROTS did it so why can't TROS copy that. Given it's Disney, they'll probably literally copy and paste Binary Sunset from ANH. It'll be so meta and crappy.

But we'll get another Binary Sunset + End Credits track so...

when-the-substitute-teacher-comes-in-and-you-and-your-42977612.jpg

I don’t understand why the original trilogy is useless.  Casting the end of ROTJ as a victory but not happily ever after, a momentary triumph, does not rob it of power.  It might change how the ending is perceived , but not necessarily for the worse.

48 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

It's great. You haven't lived life if you haven't faced your most prized moments turning into pointlessness. Frankly you sound like a 10 year old. 

The mythological forefathers of Star Wars have always been about the endless, pointless struggle and this idea that your deeds matter, and speak volumes about you, especially in the face of pointlessness. 

You confuse that with Tolkien.

George Lucas does NOT think this deeply, are you joking?

On 4/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, SteveMc said:

Positivity: Williams will write a killer score!

If the Skywalker score is as focused and energetic as The Force Awakens, it will be a great capper to Williams' work on the films.

The Force Awakens actually had quite an impressive catalogue of themes: a theme for Rey, for Poe, for the Ressistance, the Jedi Steps, two themes for Kylo, Snoke.

Its more than most previous entries in the series had.

If only the actual film would have that approach! Even though I rabidly keep up with every bit of commercial fluff such as Star Wars and Marvel that slops out of Disney's mouse ears, they're just not artsy enough for me to outright say I'm a fan. This would tip the scales!

On 4/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, leeallen01 said:

I hope Luke is talking to Kylo when he says he's passed on all he knows, because he aint passed on shit to Rey. Well I guess he did tickle her hand with a leaf, which is pretty much equal to what Yoda taught Luke.

Well, most of her training happened off-screen.