Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker TEASER Discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So to you, if a film is two hours long, the story has to take place during two hours in the world of the film?

Wah?

The film shows she has no real training. Rey trains herself lol.

Rey is perfect. She needs no training. She is already the most powerful and perfect jedi of all time. She beat Kylo and Luke in duels. She beat Kylo in a force power battle where he was knocked out and she was fine. She beat him in a mind control battle where she entered his mind against his will and saw his true fears.

Where Luke struggled to lift 3 rocks after lots of training from Yoda, Rey lifts a whole mountain side with no effort and with zero care in the world.

And she does all this after finding out that the force existed about 12 hours before...lol

Now Rey can backflip over a fighter going 800mph, where Anakin couldn't backflip over Obi-Wan stood on a slight gradient on Mustafa.

Rey is perfect. Don't ask why. Just accept it or you're a sexist pig.

The whole concept of Jedi training doesn't translate to film very well, and no filmmaker has come to gripes with it particularly well. Be it Kirshner, Lucas (in Attack of the Clones) or Johnson.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well Luke barely had any training.

And what did Luke do that even approaches Rey's level?

After some teaching from Obi-Wan, he deflected some practice shots without looking from a floating ball...

He focused his mind to make a brilliant shot in an X-Wing... wow. Apparently Poe can do that now. So it's not even special. It is even established that Luke is a brilliant shot when he says he shoots creatures back home with ease.

He loses badly to Vader in his first lightsaber fight, and Vader was just playing with him with no problem. And that was AFTER his training with Yoda. Where Rey wins her first lightsaber fight with zero lightsaber training. And no a stick is not the same.

He lifted his X-Wing slightly out of water and failed after training from Yoda. Rey lifts a mountain side...

He can communicate with Leia with his mind.

After years of learning the force alone and after the training with Yoda, he uses jedi mind tricks on a dumb servant of Jabba... he fails to do the same on Jabba. He defeats Vader using his hate, and then is almost murdered by Palapatine if not for Vader's help.

Don't even try to explain Rey's extreme power. It is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

When the hell did Rey beat Luke? When did they even have a proper duel?

Watch TLJ. He cowered in fear of her because she is that powerful. 

Can someone please tell me Rey's motivations? It's not her parents because she admits to knowing all along that they were losers who abandoned her. So...is there any reason for her to be doing anything she does?

Could someone perhaps describe her personality? Does she have one? 

Can someone describe her character?

Just now, Alexcremers said:

I dunno, with the OT, you at least had a sense of time passing. We never felt that Luke didn't earn it or that the force was handed to him on a silver platter. 

Yep, unlike Rey who seems to be in the Matrix and just asked for them to download the 'force program' into her head.

There's no doubt Rey is overpowered for a heroine. I don't think anyone would disagree there.

The question of how much one is bothered by it depends on the individual.

Luke saw his lightsaber in the Wampa cave just a few feet away and successfully pulled it probably for the first time after maybe half a minute of trying. Classic Gary Stu.

Two distinctions: one, it was in his second film: Rey pulled off a similar thing in her first film. Two, unlike The Last Jedi which starts in medias res right after The Force Awakens, in The Empire Strikes Back its been a few years and I believe the text crawl states quite clearly that Luke served with the Rebels throughout. Without trying to write the films for the filmmakers, you naturally expect him to pick up a few things between entries.

Besides, even if that were true, two wrongs don't make a right.

Just now, Chen G. said:

There's no doubt Rey is overpowered for a heroine.

I don't think anyone would disagree there. The question of how much one is bothered by it depends on the individual.

If someone has watched Luke and his struggles, failures and then ultimate success (but at a huge emotional and physical cost), and then watched Rey who succeeds at everything. Is a better force user than anyone, with no training. Is a better lightsaber fighter than anyone, with no training. Is a better pilot of the falcon than Han Solo. All without failures or losses at all, then one might be a little confused.

Rey is a terrible character because she doesn't even have a character to speak of. She is as powerful as a scene requires her to be.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Rey[...]succeeds at everything. Is a better force user than anyone, with no training. Is a better lightsaber fighter than anyone, with no training. Is a better pilot of the falcon than Han Solo. All without failures or losses at all, then one might be a little confused. 

Rey is a terrible character.

That isn't the same as character, though. In terms of personality, Rey is delusional (about her parents), self-incredulous, feisty, wide-eyed (I love that she's awed to learn that Finn is "with the resistance") and - in The Last Jedi - she's rash (in going to that hole [?] and after Kylo) and a bit gullable.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

She's obviously the chosen one.

I'm 100% positive they will change the story in Ep9 to make her that yes. And I will laugh.

Just now, Chen G. said:

That isn't the same as character, though. In terms of personality, Rey is delusional (about her parents) and - in The Last Jedi - she's rash (in going after Kylo) and a bit gullable.

So her personality traits are she's too nice? She believes her parents care about her because she's so nice and forgiving. She believes Kylo can be good because she's so nice and forgiving, which is utterly pathetic because about a day before that, she witnessed him murder his own father, brutally wound her friend Finn, and she even fought him in a lightsaber duel...

Even what people describe as her faults are actually positives. She's too nice...

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The question of how much one is bothered by it depends on the individual.

The thing is, Rey seems so unusually powerful, it seems highly unlikely that the force never manifested in her before. I think it's only common sense to question that. 

Hey, I agree. It just doesn't bother me all that much.

9 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Even what people describe as her faults are actually positives. She's too nice...

Archetypal heroes are usually idealized, in terms of merit. Is Luke Skywalker anything but good? What about Harry Potter? Frodo?

9 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm 100% positive they will change the story in Ep9 to make her that yes. And I will laugh

It was of course Lucas' plan all along.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Hey, I agree. It just doesn't bother me all that much.

Really, when everything else does?

;)

Luke actually acts like a brat sometimes. Measuring dicks with Han when Leia is concerned in ANH, acting arrogant when Leia kissed him, being way too confident against Vader, walking into a trap. He ignores both Obi-Wan and Yoda. He is almost dark side at some points in ROTJ. They portray that by him dressed in black and force choking someone, just like Vader is shown doing. He even almost turns to the dark side as he brutally attacks Vader. Those are faults.

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

being way too confident against Vader, walking into a trap. He ignores both Obi-Wan and Yoda.

TO SAVE HIS FRIENDS!

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Archetypal heroes are usually idealized, in terms of merit. Is Luke Skywalker anything but good? What about Harry Potter? Frodo?

Don't know enough about Potters character but Frodo is seriously corrupted by the ring. He rejects his own best friend. He actually gives in to the ring in Mount Doom, and doesn't choose to destroy it. He also gives up on the slopes of Mount doom. He needed Sam to give him a speech to get him motivated to carry on and he is too weak to anyway so Sam carries him. He is also shown throughout Fellowship as not wanting the responsibility at all, despite taking it on through choice. He says Gollum deserved to die, and Gandalf sets him right, saying basically that, are you going to kill him then? Don't deal out life and death. Etc. Those are faults.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

TO SAVE HIS FRIENDS!

Doesn't mean he isn't arrogant or foolish to ignore two Jedi masters.

16 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Doesn't mean he isn't arrogant or foolish to ignore two Jedi masters.

He is and isn't. Its the sort of scene which hits two notes simultaneously, but as an audience member I was definitely in Luke's corner, for the most part.

16 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Frodo is seriously corrupted by the ring

So he's corrupted by an external force. He himself is nothing but good, and so are many of the characters in that narrative and others.

But for some reason you want Rey to be the next T.E. Lawrence.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

So he's corrupted by an external force. He himself is nothing but good, and so are many of the characters in that narrative and others.

It's difficult to address Frodo's character outside of the ring, because for 80% of the trilogy he has it. But the ring does bring the bad out of people, which is in everyone. So it inflates Frodo's flaws.

God, @leeallen01, i'm really only now noticing truly what a precious and mean-spirited prissy little cunt you are. 

I guess being an avid JNH/Gia fan should have tipped me off how how you will go to defend your pedestrian tastes.

Its the ignore list for you!

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

God, @leeallen01, i'm really only now noticing truly what a precious and mean-spirited prissy little cunt you are. 

What, him declaring anyone who doesn't agree with his (wrong) assessment of TLJ and tries to reason with him to be of not high enough intelligence to converse with wasn't enough for that?

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Luke actually acts like a brat sometimes. Measuring dicks with Han when Leia is concerned in ANH, acting arrogant when Leia kissed him, being way too confident against Vader, walking into a trap. He ignores both Obi-Wan and Yoda. He is almost dark side at some points in ROTJ. They portray that by him dressed in black and force choking someone, just like Vader is shown doing. He even almost turns to the dark side as he brutally attacks Vader. Those are faults.

I guess Mark Hamill no longer wanted to play him as naive farm kid. He was tired of the way his character had to speak (farm boy with ADHD) and he wanted to be cool for once. And the justification for it was that Luke was a Jedi now.

Of course, I'm not an expert on episode 6, so I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I guess being an avid JNH/Gia fan should have tipped me off how how you will go to defend your pedestrian tastes.

Its the ignore list for you!

Aww, you're making me blush

hyhytttfc.gif

2 hours ago, Holko said:

What, him declaring anyone who doesn't agree with his (wrong) assessment of TLJ and tries to reason with him to be of not high enough intelligence to converse with wasn't enough for that?

The ironic hypocrisy of what you just said is beautiful. 

On 4/21/2019 at 4:23 AM, Chen G. said:

The whole concept of Jedi training doesn't translate to film very well, and no filmmaker has come to gripes with it particularly well. Be it Kirshner, Lucas (in Attack of the Clones) or Johnson.

The best way to be trained as a Jedi is from one of those Jedi video games where you unlock an achievement and gain a new skill with a tutorial on how to use it.

Jedi training is supposed to be more than battle skills.

You must "let the force come upon you" and use your power accordingly.

4 hours ago, Ii2 said:

Jedi training is supposed to be more than battle skills.

You must "let the force come upon you" and use your power accordingly.

Like the oriental guy in rogue one?

On 4/22/2019 at 4:40 PM, JoeinAR said:

Like the oriental guy in rogue one?

Like Luke.

He couldn't fight that tiny droid practice thingy until Obi Wan told him what he really needed to do.

In the first film.