SPOILER TALK: Avengers: Endgame

John

He created it because for a time this was LOTRfan.com instead of Jwfan.com. truely dark times. 

Some would say something about Harry Potter and then there were 15 replies that  Lotr is so much better and Howard Shores score is better than anything JW ever did.

Reminds me that I'm still kind of shocked that, of all their previous films, they chose to throw-back so thoroughly to The Dark World, one of (if not the) very worst of their films.

Yeah, it's almost like discussing films and franchises that are iconic and probably set most of us on this ridiculous fascination with films and film scores is out of character and out of place? 

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I know! When will the moderators take action and wipe it out?

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I'm still kind of shocked that, of all their previous films, they chose to throw-back so thoroughly to The Dark World, one of (if not the) very worst of their films.

I still haven't seen that one - I just couldn't be fucked when it came out. Should probably watch it.

In a way, I kind of appreciate it. Its like a "so you didn't like it, but guess what? Its still an integral part of this franchise so deal with it!"

Its something that, for instance, the Star Wars sequels will never have the courage to do with regards to pulling from the prequels.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Should probably watch it.

No, you really shouldn't. Its bad.

The Dark World was 1) the only movie that featured that stone, and 2) a great place for Thor to have an interaction that would set his character on the right path.  P.S. I'm glad it was Frigga and not Odin, he already got a bunch of Odin pep talks in Ragnarok

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Wasn’t Katherine Langford (the girl from 13 Reasons Why) meant to be in this film?

Yep, as Tony Stark's daughter in a scene they cut.

13 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, it's almost like discussing films and franchises that are iconic and probably set most of us on this ridiculous fascination with films and film scores is out of character and out place

Back then LOTR comments were like lice. Once there was one then they were everywhere. 

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its something that, for instance, the Star Wars sequels will never have the courage to do with regards to pulling from the prequels.

Because Lucas was making expensive indie films.

More because the sequel trilogy's aesthetic is rooted in the first trilogy, and all but activelly diferentiated itself from the prequel trilogy. The closest it has to nods or similarities to the prequels are to Episode III, which is like the one which is okay to like.

I can't blame them, but if you want to bring any sense of unity to a franchise, you can't ignore any one of the previous entries that are contained within it.

24 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Replace courage with the word stupidity. 

The prequels are garbage 

In some ways, yeah.

There's definitely an attempt at a larger, "epic"-like scale with the prequel trilogy. Big vistas of foreign planets, events of a more global (err...galactical?) proportions, etcetra. Sometimes it comes together very well. Other times - not so much.

44 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Replace courage with the word stupidity. 

The prequels are garbage 

Yeah, I'm not saying they should have tried to tie into the prequels.

There comes a point where the opportunity to unify a series is long gone. Star Wars has passed that point long ago, I'm afraid.

14 minutes ago, The Original said:

The prequels are superior to the originals.

Said no one ever. 

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

In some ways, yeah.

There's definitely an attempt at a larger, "epic"-like scale with the prequel trilogy. Big vistas of foreign planets, etcetra. Sometimes it comes together very well. Other times - not so much.

Yeah, I'm not saying they should have tried to tie into the prequels.

There comes a point where the opportunity to unify a series is long gone. Star Wars has passed that point long ago, I'm afraid.

I'd venture they have more of a more worldly view of humanity too - with ambition and corruption repeatedly raising their ugly heads - just like in real life. The canvas on which the story unfolds is far bigger than anything in the OT or the ST. The world-building is more persuasive. 

PT might lack for good writing, good acting and even good directing. But they certainly do not lack for ambition or largeness of vision and or the broad sweep on an inter-galatic storytelling epic saga. If anything, Lucas consistently bites off more than he can chew which is hardly something which can be said about many modern movies trucking in mediocrity. 

Just now, The Original said:

I said it!

No you didn't 

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

I'd venture they have more of a more worldly view of humanity too - with ambition and corruption repeatedly raising their ugly heads - just like in real life. The canvas on which the story unfolds is far bigger than anything in the OT or the ST. The world-building is more persuasive. 

PT might lack for good writing, good acting and even good directing. But they certainly do not lack for ambition or largeness of vision and or the broad sweep on an inter-galatic storytelling epic saga. If anything, Lucas consistently bites off more than he can chew which is hardly something which can be said about many modern movies trucking in mediocrity. 

Don't  forget blatant racial stereotyping 

10 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The canvas on which the story unfolds is far bigger than anything in the OT or the ST. The world-building is more persuasive. 

Just about the one thing I enjoy about Attack of the Clones is that we spend about fourty reasonably unhurried minutes in Curoscant, within the Jedi Temple, etc...

It gives the fall of the republic a bit of extra weight.

World building aka stealing from Ben Hur.

16 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

But.... AOTC taught me that one should argue about philosophy and politics on dates!

Isn't that what millennials do? The prequels predicted the future.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

AOTC taught me that sand is bad!

How rude ugly bag of mostly water

For the record that is how you quote Star Wars and Star Trek in one sentence. 

Finally saw this in IMAX 3D.

The Russos could've trimmed some of the character beats or made the mid-section time heist snappier pacing-wise, but the last 20 minutes make it worthwhile. The CGI work is very good overall, but some near the end look ghastly (I'm talking SyFy movie of the week cheapie). An entertaining culmination of the 20+ Marvel Studios films before that and a nice sendoff for several key players.

Would I watch this multiple times in theaters? Nah.

Yeah that's what I mean.  That he could summon a face like you see in that photo (with multiple layers of completely believable emotion on display) in reaction to nothing while not even wearing anything on his hand.  Pretty amazing.