Transcendental Finales

KK

There are good finales, and there are transcendental ones. You know, the kind that actually carries you off to the heavens, and leaves you with a high that lingers long after the echo of the final note has faded. The ones that transcend the literal and channels the otherworldly...

Which finales leave you in that kind of bliss?

8 minutes ago, John said:

From ecstasy, to melancholy,  to hopefulness. 

That final fanfare is like the perfect bit of salt after a sugar rush. Delicious.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Fellowship of the Ring AINEC

Breaking?

9 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Bro that's just a lot of noise...

Try harder.

I was meaning the finale cue as a finale to the entire score.  

Are you instead asking about like the final minutes of individual cues?

14 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Bizarre response

KK is right though.  There is a small but present demographic of musical snobs and posers on here that you don't want to be associated with.  You may not like the piece, but to dismiss it as noise puts you in bad company.

9 minutes ago, Knox Harrington said:

You may not like the piece, but to dismiss it as noise puts you in bad company.

If it sounds like random, scattered sounds to me, then 'noise' seems a fair description. Not saying it's bad, just that it is an aimless section to me.

8 hours ago, Fargo said:

If it sounds like random, scattered sounds to me, then 'noise' seems a fair description. Not saying it's bad, just that it is an aimless section to me.

Alright, I'll bite.

Well if the whole work is mostly about Adams coming to terms with navigating harmony and "Romanticism" with his post-minimalist language, then this passage is about tonic resolution. The "noise" you hear, is obviously quite calculated. Adams' staple "pulse" that drives the whole movement is heightened to manic extremes in its finale, and the horns oscillate between the 5th and the 4th in waves that ebb in an out of each other, creating a whole microcosm grounded in the Eb tonality, brimming with Wagnerian grandiosity. It all brings those massive Californian coastal waves to mind (probably intentionally too), and the ancient majesty but frightening energy in which they rise and crash into each other. I find the whole thing deeply moving as a musical image.

Just imagine it scoring something like this:

Ultimately though, it boils down to a matter of preference. Certainly not asking you to like it, but you can do better on a forum than just dismissing it as "noise".

My choices are decidedly old-school compared to most of the previous entries. Beethoven and Saint-Saëns are my two favorite classical composers, just so y'all know.

4 hours ago, John said:

From ecstasy, to melancholy,  to hopefulness. 

It almost a boring cliché to say it now, but it's the greatest finale of them all. 

And not strictly a score track, but the ending of this is so uplifting: (I love this film :))

And this cue from Nocturnal Animals distracted me briefly from the ending scene (in a good way - I'd lost one of the plot threads by this point so was just listening to the score):

3 hours ago, Loert said:

Mahler 2 and 8!

Out of all of Wagner's transcendental endings, my favourite is the ending to his last opera, Parsifal:

R. Strauss was good at writing transcendental endings...

as well as  "transcendental" endings:

Mic drop and lock this thread for nothing better than this post...well except I would also add Ralph Vaughan Williams' No. 1 and No. 9 plus Sibelius 7.  But there is no point in providing a link, you have to hear the whole work to appreciate the transcendence. 

7 hours ago, KK said:

Well if the whole work is mostly about Adams coming to terms with navigating harmony and "Romanticism" with his post-minimalist language, then this passage is about tonic resolution. The "noise" you hear, is obviously quite calculated. Adams' staple "pulse" that drives the whole movement is heightened to manic extremes in its finale, and the horns oscillate between the 5th and the 4th in waves that ebb in an out of each other, creating a whole microcosm grounded in the Eb tonality, brimming with Wagnerian grandiosity. It all brings those massive Californian coastal waves (probably intentionally too), and the ancient majesty but frightening energy in which they rise and crash into each other. I find the whole thing deeply moving as a musical image.

Don't touch the watch.