John Powell Shrine

Fabulin

The most underrated being at JWFan. He is better than David Arnold or Alan Silvestri for example, and yet not treated with sufficient veneration. The most shameless blasphemers fail to see in him an equal to JW himself. Countermeasures must be taken. 

HTTYD is salvation!

Actually that was made up in the 1800s to scare people. Getting the rope now!

5 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

As for that last quip, I can forgive people calling HTTYD "noise" if they've only heard the commercial albums for the first two scores. They're both incredibly tiring listens because of how loudly they were mastered. The Academy Awards promos sound much better.

Agreed.

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The most overrated being at JWFan. He is not better than David Arnold or Alan Silvestri for example, and yet treated as some sort of deity. The most shameless blasphemers even equate him to JW himself. This must be stopped!

HTTYD is noise!

Who is he?

I'd say this is baffling, but that's okay too. Powell is probably one of the few composers working in the industry today that makes me remember why I like film scores. Back in my teenage years that spot was filled by John Williams and today it's Powell, Giacchino and a few others that are the champions of the film music world.

4 hours ago, Knox Harrington said:

Powell > Arnold > Silvestri

Sometimes he's better than Williams.

Fixed.

Instead of piling on Frabulin, I’m gonna participate in the unpopular opinions thread.  I like Powell an awful lot, and probably rank him somewhere in the top 5 of living film composers, but am not a fan of the HTTYD scores at all, or the Bourne scores for that matter.

Well at least this thread got people talking although I am not sure if for the right reasons.

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Fabulin.  I think he likes Giacchino music

Ewwww

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There were no tracks in Solo about David Duchovny mooning a military guy.

Also no tracks in Solo where a giant amoeba is defeated by spraying anti-dandruff shampoo into its butthole.

8 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

-Ferdinand is better than everything

I will go to my grave exclaiming to people that it's the best score Powell has written yet.  Probably never to be bested!

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I do think that happened in a Legends book in the 1990s.

Wookieepedia confirms it!

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I do think that happened in a Legends book in the 1990s.

Are you referring to the tale of Jabba the Butt?

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will go to my grave exclaiming to people that it's the best score Powell has written yet.  Probably never to be bested!

It might be his best solo score (no pun intended...)

Those that criticize him for being too loud lose the right to enjoy Indiana Jones music. Especially Temple of Doom.

Also, these “unpopular opinion” threads are just pedantic excuses to speak ill of the subject in question without having to bother offering compelling thought.

If everyone on the forum were honest all the time about what they thought was good (as opposed to stating what is fashionable to praise), there'd be no need for these threads.

I prefer Solo over any of JW's SW scores.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, Fabulin said:

The most overrated being at JWFan. He is not better than David Arnold or Alan Silvestri for example, and yet treated as some sort of deity. The most shameless blasphemers even equate him to JW himself. This must be stopped!

HTTYD is noise!

HTTYD is not noise.  The recordings can just get a tad noisy.  Have you heard Hubris, by any chance?  Or even Ferdinand?

I'm not going to say Powell is better than JW, or even that any of his scores are better than John's, but I will say that everything I've heard from Powell as of late has put a smile on my face.  It's good stuff, period.