250 Critics Name 'Fury Road' The Best Film Of The Decade

A24

35 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Knocked me out? You've raised the bar somewhat while I wasn't looking! 

If I'm going to compile a list with the best movies of the decade they need to knock me out. I take it this is not the case for you?

All my favorite directors have somewhat let me down this decade. Take Haneke's Amour, for instance, I thought it was good but somehow I don't feel it's a film that I want to watch it again. It missed something intriguing, hence it's difficult for me to add it to the list. During the previous decade, I was blown away with TAOJJBTCRF, but I don't feel the same about Dominik's Killing Me Softly. And so on, and so on ...

It's definitely the best thing he ever did, but if I had to knock it for anything (and I don't have to, really) it would be Junkie's score is kind of uneven overall. I wonder what might have been if someone not so beholden to the Zimmer aesthetic (which has its upsides!) was composing for that film. If there was a level of depth equal to the visual storytelling going on. Junkie doesn't have that. But when he needs to land power-shots, he lands them, and the film has no shortage of them.

And to clarify: I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the stereotypical "Zimmer" type stuff, either. I like a lot of the Media Ventures output - I don't like how directors temp track everything with the same 4 soundtracks, but that's a pretty common complaint I don't think needs to get more air than it's gotten already.

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Oh yeah. It was certainly one that I approved of Holkenborg scoring. His trademark drums and sound environments were befitting and welcome.

Absolutely, but my favourite part is actually the large, epic, spinetinglingly melancholic theme for strings at the heart of it all ("Many Mothers").

Sometimes, people 'transcribe' series to be films on these lists. I remember critics (including my colleagues) did the same with the O.J. Simpson documentary series last year (or was it two years ago?). But I agree with Jay -- despite what Lynch himself says, I still consider TWIN PEAKS 3 a series, not a long film. While something like Béla Tarr's SÁTÁNTANGÓ, with its 7 hours and 12 minutes, I definitely consider a film, even if it could have been separated into a TV series if they so desired (I've only ever seen as a series, really, in multiple sessions -- never seen it in one go).

17 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

If I'm going to compile a list with the best movies of the decade they need to knock me out. I take it this is not the case for you?

"Best" is a comparative term, so one can compile a list of the best of even a bad bunch. But our apparent misunderstanding was down to my use of the word "awesome", which you interpreted as applying to films that I would say "knocked me out", whereas to me the latter expression is much more exclusive.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

I was also not as thrilled as several of my colleagues about THE ASSASSIN

That's a film I had to watch three times (no pun intended) in order to understand what was going on. The reason was that almost every shot was so amazing to look at that I was finding it too difficult to avert my eyes to read the subtitles.

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

That's a film I had to watch three times (no pun intended) in order to understand what was going on. The reason was that almost every shot was so amazing to look at that I was finding it too difficult to avert my eyes to read the subtitles.

Indeed. It's a terribly complex narrative, and a lot of it is communicated through dialogue (not a feature I generally like). I also found it rather stale and detached, although I could appreciate its ambition.

THE HANDMAIDEN is a film that I liked considerably more, as long as we're talking recent Asian period flicks. Also complex, but with a more emotional immediacy (and no less beautiful cinematography).

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

But our apparent misunderstanding was down to my use of the word "awesome", which you interpreted as applying to films that I would say "knocked me out", whereas to me the latter expression is much more exclusive.

Can you blame me?

awesome

adjective
 UK  /ˈɔː.səm/ US  /ˈɑː.səm/

C2 causing feelings of great admiration, respect, or fear

A2 us informal extremely good

• 6 months later...

Honestly I don't care about these kind of lists anymore, even when I love a lot of the movies they pick (like with Fury Road).  I don't find them especially useful or instructive.  They're internet fight fodder only.

11 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters

2. Kong: Skull Island

3. Shin Godzilla

4. Godzilla '14

You think Kong: Skull Island is better than Shin Godzilla?  Interesting....

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You think "more entertaining" doesn't mean "better than"?  Interesting....

Very interesting....

Of course! Blade Runner and 2001 might be better movies than most, but they're not all that entertaining.

'Entertaining' means: That what entertains you. Some find explosions entertaining while others find the dialogue in Manhattan entertaining. 

I thought Fury Road was going to be entertaining as hell but somehow it wasn't.

• 5 months later...
On May 2, 2019 at 3:03 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

Knocked me out? You've raised the bar somewhat while I wasn't looking! I don't think I could list one hundred films that quite meet that standard. Perhaps forty (no actual spoilers within):

Reveal hidden contents

And another forty which may not quite have floored me but are still whoppingly great:

Reveal hidden contents

And a final fortysome of films that are excellent and thoroughly absorbing:

Reveal hidden contents

Just been looking back and I must say this is an excellent list, just based off things I've seen already and stuff to mark down on my watchlist. Quite a few excellent reccomendations that sum up the best of the decade. I'm curious if you would add any more to the above category that came out in 2019, as I'm interested in what those might be. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Just been looking back and I must say this is an excellent list, just based off things I've seen already and stuff to mark down on my watchlist. Quite a few excellent reccomendations that sum up the best of the decade. I'm curious if you would add any more to the above category that came out in 2019, as I'm interested in what those might be. Thanks for the tip!

Here are the 2019 films I've seen (some with Norwegian premieres rather than international premieres, though), ranked:

https://mubi.com/lists/2019-films-ranked

Also, here are lists for each year, from 2014 onwards:

https://mubi.com/users/151472/lists

I can't believe this was a year ago! Feels like maybe a few months...

18 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm curious if you would add any more to the above category that came out in 2019...

I started compiling a list of the 2019 films I've seen a couple of days ago (in breaks between bouts of tedious lockdown work). I haven't finished it yet, but should end up with a dozen or more which could join that list.

There are also quite a few worthy pre-2019 films that I either overlooked or hadn't seen this time last year:

Animal Kingdom (David Michôd)

Another Year (Mike Leigh)

Butter on the Latch (Josephine Decker)

Cemetery of Splendour (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

Columbus (Kogonada)

Exhibition (Joanna Hogg)

Force majeure (Ruben Östlund)

45 Years (Andrew Haigh)

Holiday (Isabella Eklöf)

I, Daniel Blake (Ken Loach)

The Kid with a Bike (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)

Like Someone in Love (Abbas Kiarostami)

Love Is Strange (Ira Sachs)
Norte, the End of History (Lav Diaz)

Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch)
The Past (Asghar Farhadi)
Peterloo (Mike Leigh)
Poetry (Lee Chang-dong)
Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo)
The Selfish Giant (Clio Barnard)
Stranger by the Lake (Alain Guiraudie)

Summertime (Catherine Corsini)

Tangerine (Sean Baker)