Peter Mayhew

Bilbo

Very sad news... he seemed like a wonderful human being who enjoyed spending time with his fans. Rest in peace, Mr. Mayhew. :(

12 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

R.I.P. 

Makes Ep.9 even more of a final hurrah.

Mayhew's final film as Chewbacca is The Force Awakens.  In TLJ, Solo, and TROS Chewie is played Joonas Suotamo.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Mayhew's final film as Chewbacca is The Force Awakens.  In TLJ, Solo, and TROS Chewie is played Joonas Suotamo.

Ah, thanks for the correction.  I'm just a very casual fan, you see.

Just saw this news. Very sad to hear of his passing. I read him on Twitter, and he always seemed like such a humble, appreciating guy in interviews. RIP Peter Mayhew!!!

So you thought they replaced him in Last Jedi, a film that came out in 2017, because he died last year, in 2018?

Farewell Chewie! :(

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Suotamo also played Chewie in the more physically demanding sequences in The Force Awakens.

The roaring circus freak nurse (actually, at least in 4, he spoke actual dialogue on set for Chewie) who never missed an opportunity for a fan event. He will be missed. :(

Sorry to hear it, but to be honest, I thought he was already dead. Have this vague memory of a news bits a few years ago, but I must be thinking of someone else.

Not easy to play a character behind complete makeup for so long. Mayhew did admirably well.

Did anyone ever see him in anything else?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Sorry to hear it, but to be honest, I thought he was already dead. Have this vague memory of a news bits a few years ago, but I must be thinking of someone else.

see I'm not the only one

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You're probably confusing him with R2-D2.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're probably confusing him with R2-D2.

Kenny Baker! Yes, that must be it.

I always remember that part in TFA where Chewie turns and looks at Rey in the Millenium Falcon, and you can immediately tell it’s Peter Mayhew.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

The roaring circus freak nurse (actually, at least in 4, he spoke actual dialogue on set for Chewie) who never missed an opportunity for a fan event. He will be missed. :(

He was not a nurse, he was what Americans call an "orderly". In the UK, and at the time, he'd be called a "nursing assistant".

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Didn't he have some sort of "consultant" role, in TLJ?

I met him, once. He was doing a promotional tour for ROTJ, along with Baker. They toured regional cinemas. It was meant to be Baker and Daniels, but for reasons know only to themselves, they absolutely hated each other, so...Mayhew got the gig. They were both nice people. I asked Mayhew which was his favourite STAR WARS film, and he autographed my vinyl copy of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

For fuck's sake...I sound like Adrian fucking Mole!

52 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Daniels is a complete and utter arsehole by all accounts.

That bit of the Episode IX panel when he just shilled for his new memoir for 5 minutes was unbearable.  What a cock!  Still, great performer of course.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That bit of the Episode IX panel when he just shilled for his new memoir for 5 minutes was unbearable.  What a cock!  Still, great performer of course.

I understand the joke was to tease a title reveal, but the delivery/wording was so awful that it didn't land as a joke and just seemed like 100% self-promotion.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I've heard that, as well. I've also met Daniels. He was quite nice, as I remember.

Same. At uni when I went to get my Revenge of the Sith DVD. In the old HMV on New Oxford Street. I joined the queue right at the end -they drew the rope behind me and someone said, "Mr Daniels has agreed to stay to sign everyone's DVD". When I got up there, we shook hands, he asked what I did -said I was a History student, he said I was the second that day, he personalised the DVD, posed for a photo (we both took our specs off for it and he joked about it) and off I went. Nice chap in my  book. 

A few members of my family work security at an arena and said that when Star Wars In Concert was on tour, he was apparently somewhat irritable.  I wish I could remember the stories.  If I recall correctly, they seemed minor, especially in the grand scheme of "things that performers do backstage at arena concerts," and the main thing was just that he was fussy and detail-oriented in a way that maybe he got agitated if something wasn't right or if somebody bothered him - which is about what you'd expect from the actor who played C-3PO  anyway.