VOTE! Galaxy's Edge by John Williams - how do you like it?

Jay

How do you rate GALAXY'S EDGE by John Williams?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate GALAXY'S EDGE by John Williams?

• 5⭐
    • 4⭐
    • 3⭐
    • 2⭐
    • 1⭐
    • I refuse to listen to this piece of music, but wanted to vote anyway

Since this suite was released today, I've been surprised to see a pretty divergent reception to it on this forum with many instantly loving it, and many instantly being put off by it.

So let's get a poll going to see what JWFan thinks!  Please share what it is you like or don't like about it after voting!

Thank you!

I gave it a 4, but I think that's being a bit generous. I haven't liked the introductory fanfare since I first heard it. There is a cool NBC News/Black Sunday-esque sort of scherzo (?) in there that I quite like. Overall, it's perfectly fine as a music loop for entering this area of Disneyland, but it may be that a spaceport with alien mercenaries or whatever just wasn't as good an inspiration for music as say, the Avatar land. This is something they can play to beckon you to walk through the tunnel, but I'm hoping there's more...

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

My only complaint is the transition from the opening fanfare to the high strings.  It sounds like a measure or two were edited out or something. 

I'd rather have the fanfare in there no matter what

It's better than I remember it being. It still feels a little like Williams scraps put together. But expertly crafted, as always.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Also a 5.  I think it is a near-perfect synthesis of the SW sound from the OT, PT, and ST, while also having a theme distinct from its antecedents.  As the Lehman analysis notes, it is a rare moment of Williams adhering to a sonata form; the piece is very structured and cohesive. 

My only complaint is the transition from the opening fanfare to the high strings.  It sounds like a measure or two were edited out or something. 

and usually Williams ends his pomp and circumstance pieces with a blast, why do I hear some echoes after the typical John Williams ending? They sound electronic!

I think its a good piece. Its delightful to see Williams' magnum opus (that being, his work on the Star Wars franchise) extend beyond the film scores into concert pieces and now even a theme park theme music.

**** out of *****

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It sounds more like a typical JW non-film short piece like those found on his American Journey CD.

yeah, it sounds more like his celebratory fanfares than a film  music piece...but actually one of his best one yet

31 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah, it sounds more like his celebratory fanfares than a film  music piece...but actually one of his best one yet

With a fugal edge;);)

I'd honestly scrolled past all mention of this till right now as my brain had already decided it must be something related to a new Samsung smart device and so therefore of no interest to me. I'll have a listen later though, although I'm guessing it's not going to be anything too special being that it was only written for a theme park ride.

The Soarin' Over California (Goldsmith), Pandora and Captain EO (Horner) scores are incredible. As we all know, the E.T. Adventure score is probably the gold standard of theme park music by these composers of primarily film music.

I listened it few times this morning and I don’t hear any real connection with Star Wars.

So what’s the purpose?

And how you could call a piece of music of less than 5 minutes long a Symphonic « Suite »?

Gi’me a break.

Yea I guess I meant the discussion more than the voting. The voting is pretty positive but the discussion is like totally split. 

7 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

For a JW piece, 3/5 is staggering.  It's like it's Giacchino or something!

I actually prefer Giacchino's music from Space Mountain now that you mention it. I forgot about that one.

Disney Era Star Wars Concert Pieces Ranked

1. The Jedi Steps and Finale

2. Rey’s Theme

3. March of the Resistance

4. Scherzo for X-Wings

5. The Rebellion is Reborn

6. The Adventures of Han

7. Galaxy’s Edge

8. The Jedi Steps

9. Adagio

I like all of these, just some more than others.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My list would be similar:

2. Rey's Theme

3. The Adventures of Han

4. March of the Resistance

6. Galaxy's Edge

7. Scherzo for X-Wings

8. The Jedi Steps

9. Adagio

1 minute ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I actually prefer Giacchino's music from Space Mountain now that you mention it. I forgot about that one.

Something more than a little cheesy about that one.  

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

2. Rey’s Theme

3. March of the Resistance

4. Scherzo for X-Wings

6. The Adventures of Han

7. Galaxy’s Edge

8. The Jedi Steps

9. Adagio

I like all of these, just some more than others.

My ranking has parallels.

2. March of the Resistance

3. Rey's Theme

4. The Adventures of Han

5.Adagio

6.Scherzo For X-Wings

7.The Rebellion is Reborn

8.Galaxy's Edge

9. The Jedi Steps

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I might just put them in the same order. Possibly.

I think I rate the March and the Scherzo higher than some.  Those pieces are just so dynamic and entertaining.

Quantitative ratings are tough for me when it comes to music, but my gut says 4 or 4.5 in the scope of Williams' works. Not exactly top-rung, but certainly very enjoyable. The longer alternate opening heard in this official release is just incredible - that fanfare is definitely my favorite passage. It may be one of my favorite things he's written this decade.

I'll base my rating on 2 factors averaged.

1. Based on Tiers of JW's works only, Tier 1-5: I'll put it at Tier 1 compared to everything else's he's done. Firstly, can't say that it's inventive or unique when compared to just about any score he's written, and as someone pointed out, JW's known for absolute stunning melodic work (ie. The Banquet, Raiders, E.T., Star Wars, Jurassic Park). This melodic writing, which is a portion of this rating, is mostly flat and indiscernible. The orchestration on the other hand, compared to what he usually does (ie. lots of unique and thrilling fantasies and emotions) this orchestration is just 'okay' to me in its provocation which keeps it at Tier 1 Williams. It has reminiscence to the prequel SWs, but I like them better based on other reasons. I think if Williams wrote a sister-suite in a different style, I may enjoy it more.

2. Based on all works by all musicians, Tier 1-5: I'll put it at Tier 2. Williams is indeed my favorite musician, since he takes so many of the best inventions from the past and makes something incredibly memorable and beautiful by combining and reworking them, or sometimes something deeply mood-provoking, but the theme or evocation of this piece is not really my favorite style. In fact the introduction (not the rest) sounds like an average composer's work.

Average: 1.5

Final rounded rating:

(I'll round up because it's John the Bomb Williams and I will always put him in + favor)