1. 1. Best of these Star Wars pieces

• Galaxy's Edge
    • The Rebellion is Reborn
    • The Adventures of Han
    • March of the Resistance
    • Scherzo for X-Wing
    • The Jedi Steps (Concert Version)

The Adventures of Han 

I just realized it's actually very memorable. I think I now rank it above Rey's Theme and below The Jedi Steps and Finale, which I think sums up both Luke's journey through ANH-ROTJ and Rey's journey in TFA very well.

Now I'm waiting for IX to surprise me with something as great as Luke and Leia, reflective and hopeful.

25 minutes ago, King Mark said:

(Jay can you move this to the JW sub forum? I screwed up)

Done.

I think Galaxy's Edge is too new to be fairly compared with the rest. 

Anyway my vote goes to Jedi Steps.

Rey's Theme!

Opinions on these:

MotR I don't like in its concert setting or most of its TFA appearances.

Jedi Steps Concert just drags on trying to capitalise on and add to lightning in a bottle, I think unnecessarily.

Rebellion is Reborn is nice but not too much more. Its main appeal is how good it is in spite of its mad concept, joining those 2 (3) motifs.

The Scherzo is cool but just a new, fun riff on old motifs.

Galaxy's Edge's motif I don't find particularly strong and my attention wanes significantly during it.

Out of these, Adventures of Han is the one which offers a well-rounded healthy workout on 2 new memorable motifs, thus it's my favourite.

I voted for Galaxy's edge, but that might change in a month or two.  I think it has better structure and cohesiveness than the other pieces.  In terms of melody, Rey's theme is the best of the bunch.  I really like the Adventures of Han--probably a 4 star piece for me. However, had Williams added the trumpet riff from Attacking the Stardestroyer to the trumpet riff in AoH, it would be a 5 star piece. 

I think Rey's Theme is better in it's "action" version than  the concert version (Training  with the Lightsaber, that unused Rey Runs cue for TLJ deleted scene.

"The Jedi Steps", followed by "The Rebellion is Reborn". At the third place I would perhaps put "Scherzo for X-Wings". I'm not a big fan of the other pieces in the list.

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

had Williams added the trumpet riff from Attacking the Stardestroyer to the trumpet riff in AoH, it would be a 5 star piece

yeah, I'll give it 500 stars. That riff is very Star Wars. I don't think I've anything like it outside of SW scores! 

41 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

yeah it's very cheeky. I would love to see JW conduct it live!

Yeah, he appears to close the piece and turns around to bow and accept the applause, but then just as swiftly turns back around before anyone can clap and finishes with that ending! I would laugh for a very long time if he did that!

C’mon, no love for The Rebellion is Reborn? Out of the given choices, it is my favorite piece by Williams. 

Oh I love all of these, but The Adventures of Han was such an exciting piece to hear when it came out, similar to the hype now around Galaxy's Edge. 

I enjoy the themes from The Force Awakens too, but I feel that the arrangements in The Jedi Steps and Finale and other cues in the film (especially in the case of Rey's Theme) are superior to the actual individual concert suites. I never really liked The Jedi Steps concert suite as much though. I feel like Scherzo for X-Wings was a missed opportunity to tie in Poe's theme too.

12 minutes ago, John said:

C’mon, no love for The Rebellion is Reborn? Out of the given choices, it is my favorite piece by Williams. 

I appreciate that you're saving what you love;);););)

10 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Oh I love all of these, but The Adventures of Han was such an exciting piece to hear when it came out, similar to the hype now around Galaxy's Edge. 

I enjoy the themes from The Force Awakens too, but I feel that the arrangements in The Jedi Steps and Finale and other cues in the film (especially in the case of Rey's Theme) are superior to the actual individual concert suites. I never really liked The Jedi Steps concert suite as much though. I feel like Scherzo for X-Wings was a missed opportunity to tie in Poe's theme too.

I find The Scavenger to be superior to Rey's Theme. Esp that moment, 0:53 of The Scavneger. Pure JW magic!

I actually see Poe's theme as a substitute for the Force Theme/Ben Kenobi's Theme.

1. Galaxy's Edge / The Adventures of Han / March of the Resistance

Honestly, I've got no clue how to choose between these three. They're all such tremendous fun!

March of the Resistance has that string bit (fugue?) that isn't in the TFA end titles, which adds a lot to it.

The Adventures of Han is massively adventurous and, while originally seeming a bit generic, has been growing on me a lot.

And Galaxy's Edge feels like an entire adventure by covering a lot of ground in 5 minutes.

2. The Rebellion is Reborn

Good too, but a slight step down. It also feels a bit short, because one theme never gets much time to shine before the other takes over.

3. Scherzo for X-Wings

I feel like I should like this better than I actually do. Can't explain why.

I was hoping for the Star Wars version of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", but it's less unique than that.

The way Luke's and The Force themes are worked in are quite clever, but the base melody doesn't really have the same hook as the Indiana Jones scherzo does.

4. The Jedi Steps (Concert Version)

I like the film version of "The Jedi Steps" a great lot, but somehow I feel like the concert version's extra variations dilutes the power from the original.

But I also haven't listened to this one very often yet, so maybe it'll go up the list at some point.

These are all fine cues, but the ones I consider classic JW are Rey’s Theme and Jedi Steps.

I’ve no love at all for The Rebellion Is Reborn.

BTW, no love for The Falcon?

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

BTW, no love for The Falcon?

It's a score cue, not a standalone concert piece.

4 hours ago, John said:

I love it so much, heard it  live in Chicago last April, special place in my heart. 

19 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Scherzo For X-Wings is underrated.

I hear a lot to love in the Scherzo for X-Wings composition but there isn’t really a performance/recording yet that fully does it for me. I remember somebody got a little bit of him doing it in concert at like 1.5x the OST speed and felt like it had more attack, I dunno. I hope there are some TFA suite re-recordings in the future and I’ll find a favorite version. But it’s very good. I remember when that was the first bit of music we got from TFA via 60 Minutes and shit was so on. 

I like all of these but Adventures of Han is the most fun overall to me. I might favor the middle part of Rebellion is Reborn and the cool ending, though. Would probably vote Jedi Steps & Finale or Rey’s Theme if they were here. 

I was about to vote for Adventures of Han because this is an instant classic and I truly like this piece. But then I saw galaxy’s edge ! But this piece is too fresh in my mind to really get my vote.

I voted for March Of The Resistance because this is the real deal. This piece grew on me and I can’t count the times I’ve listened to it. If you take away the dry recording of TFA album (even if I don’t mind it) it really is iconic. It has this sense of epic and joy but augmented with JW dense orchestration. 

There's no reason not to include Adagio on this poll, especially since it's available on a physical CD now. 

His updated Han and Leia arrangement is aces too, not sure if it's fair to compare against the others though. 

Not a totally new piece, so definitely ineligible here, but  the new Han & Leia arrangement is right up there with Jedi Steps as far as I'm concerned

1. Jedi Steps (suite)

2. Rey's theme 

3. Han

4. Scherzo for X-Wings

5. March of the Resistance

6. Jedi Steps (concert arrangements minus end credits)

7. The Rebel is Reborn

8. Galaxy's Edge

Am I correct that “Jedi Steps” here is meant to be the full “and Finale” suite?  Or does KM intend it to be the standalone concert arrangement for the just music of the Jedi Astro’s scene?

Pretty even match between "The Jedi Steps" and "Galaxy's Edge" as the best, IMO. Can't really choose.

I wish Invision offered ranked choice voting polls!  Since it doesn’t we’ll have to do a manual ranked vote like the James Horner poll that @Uni ran years back once the dust settles and we have all the modern concert pieces to consider.

59 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish Invision offered ranked choice voting polls!

The Alternative Vote!  Or STV?

36 minutes ago, toothless said:

I can't process the fact that Rebellion is reborn has more votes than Scherzo for x-wings !

Two completely different pieces but I vastly prefer the former, personally. The recording and slow tempo of SFX-W on the OST does it no favours.

Between the Adventures of Han and Galaxy's Edge.

I'm kinda leaning towards Adventures Of Han because of how catchy and memorable it seems

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Two completely different pieces. The recording and slow tempo of SFX-W on the OST does it no favours.

Agreed

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Two completely different pieces but I vastly prefer the former, personally. The recording and slow tempo of SFX-W on the OST does it no favours.

Just listen to the Lockhart recording then.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just listen to the Lockhart recording then.

Indeed, it's a big improvement, as is his rendition of the Resistance March (and basically every usage of that theme in TLJ).