JWFan's favorite director!

John

Who is your favorite movie director?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite movie director?

• Alfred Hitchcock
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Stanley Kubrick
    • Ingmar Bergman
    • Martin Scorsese
    • Francis Ford Coppola
    • Akira Kurosawa
    • Sergio Leone
    • Werner Herzog
    • Orson Welles
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Woody Allen
    • Wes Anderson
    • Milos Forman
    • Federico Fellini
    • Coen Brothers
    • Tim Burton
    • Ridley Scott
    • James Cameron
    • David Lean
    • Robert Zemeckis
    • Christopher Nolan
    • Ron Howard
    • David Fincher
    • Other (please name below)

I really liked Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation.

There's also Kathryn Bigelow, who has made a few good films. What happened to her, actually? Why she isn't directing anymore?

Patty Jenkins made one of the most critically acclaimed blockbusters of the decade, Wonder Woman.

Jennifer Kent directed one of my favorite horror movies of all time, The Babadook.

The Wachowski sisters (although their best work was done when they were in a male body).

So yeah, there's a lot of great female directors out there. Not enough to bridge the gap, though.

Hey, I did a top 10 of female directors a few posts up, when I ressurected this thread. Did none of you see that?

To be fair, none of them would break my top 10 favourites in general, alas.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Jennifer Kent directed one of my favorite horror movies of all time, The Babadook.

I'm anxious to watch her subsequent movie, The Nightingale.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Sergio Leone and Terrence Malick are essentially tied for first place. 

They'd never be tied for me in any category.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Critics say it's really good, although quite different from Babadook. Haven't watched it yet too.

I didn't particularly care for it. Then again, I didn't like BABADOOK as much as everyone else either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 6:17 PM, Edmilson said:

Critics say it's really good, although quite different from Babadook. Haven't watched it yet too.

Wow, it is mindblowingly great! Rape 'n' Revenge meets adventure meets historical drama meets reflection of racism and sexism - haven't seen anything like it and despite all the genres mixed together it works so well. But it is fucking hard to watch!

On 5/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, Bilbo said:

1) Spielberg

2) Scorsese 

3) Cronenberg

I missed Cronengerg and Lynch as well in the list. And Takeshi Kitano, Billy Wilder, William Friedkin, Terry Gilliam, Stephen Frears, Roman Polanski, Andrei Tarkovsky, Steven Soderberg, Peter Greenaway, Mel Brooks, the Russo Brothers, Andrew Niccol and Richard Linklater? And Lars von Trier.

And anyone missed Oliver Stone in the list? Brad Bird? Hayo Miasaki?

Still Spielberg but I essentially lost all interest in anything he does. But those classics granted him a lifetime's worth of grace.

For me nobody else really comes close, but after Stevie and depending on the day, it could be anyone from Ridley Scott to Stanley Kubrick to James Cameron to Paul Verhoeven and to even John McTiernan. 

Spielberg will always be my favorite.

Not my second favorite, but an honorable mention I'd like to add to the thread, Jeff Nichols (Mud, Take Shelter, Midnight Special).

He's one of my favorite directors from the past decade.

Yes, Jeff Nichols is good. Seen four of his films (TAKE SHELTER, MUD, MIDNIGHT SPECIAL and LOVING). Only missing his debut feature SHOTGUN STORIES. LOVING was kinda disappointing, but looking forward to his next project, whatever it is.

• 11 months later...

I rediscovered this thread earlier today after doing a forum search for "Jane Campion" - who is in the news for giving her views on superhero films (she doesn't like them) - and promptly caught a bad case of the listing disease. I mentioned most of these informally in an earlier post, but here is a proper list of who I (today) think are my favourite directors ever:

1. Orson Welles
  2. Michael Powell
  3. Jean Renoir
  4. Martin Scorsese
  5. Stanley Kubrick
  6. Paul Thomas Anderson
  7. David Lynch
  8. Robert Altman
  9. F.W. Murnau
  10. Joel and Ethan Coen
  11. Woody Allen
  12. John Cassavetes
  13. Roberto Rossellini
  14. Michael Mann
  15. Mike Leigh
  16. Maurice Pialat
  17. Quentin Tarantino
  18. Sidney Lumet
  19. Howard Hawks
  20. Jacques Rivette

And, of the directors who (as far as I know) are still in the game:

1. Paul Thomas Anderson
  2. Nuri Bilge Ceylan
  3. Kelly Reichardt
  4. Lynne Ramsey
  5. Joanna Hogg
  6. Hou Hsiao-hsien
  7. Michael Haneke
  8. Josephine Decker
  9. Lee Chang-dong
  10. Abdellatif Kechiche
  11. Sean Baker
  12. Josh and Benny Safdie
  13. Christian Mungiu
  14. Andrey Zvyagintsev
  15. Kenneth Lonergan
  16. Mike Leigh
  17. Quentin Tarantino
  18. Luca Guadagnino
  19. David Lowery
  20. Andrew Haigh

And, lastly, special mentions for some current directors who I excluded from the previous list on account of the fact that I've seen fewer than three of their films (mostly because they've made fewer than three):

1. Rose Glass
  2. Céline Sciamma
  3. Debra Granik
  4. Emma Seligman
  5. Jem Cohen
  6. Isabella Eklöf
  7. José Luis Guerín
  8. Jonathan Glazer
  9. Josh Mond
  10. Chaitanya Tamhane
  11. Mark Jenkin
  12. Radu Jude
  13. Robert Eggers
  14. Philippe Lesage
  15. Mati Diop
  16. Alice Rohrwacher
  17. Wang Xiaoshuai
  18. Sean Durkin
  19. Kantemir Balagov
  20. Valentyn Vasyanovych

Yeah, there are some revered directors whose work I've never been able to muster up any real enthusiasm for. Of your favourites, Antonioni is one such (with the exception of Blow-up). I might give L'Avventura another go some tme soon...

22 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Blow-up is good.  I somehow put Peeping Tom into the same category, don't ask me why. Maybe it's a certain style of '60s moviemaking.

Well, they are both about photographers...

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What on Earth is wrong with ZODIAC?

Zodiac's pretty good; his later films not so much.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What on Earth is wrong with ZODIAC?

Too many telephones, too much paper rattling, too much dialogue. In short, too dry and boring for my taste. I preferred Fincher when he was less reliant on information-heavy dialogue and plot; when he was first and foremost communicating through juicy visuals. Although I do quite like GONE GIRL of his later movies -- a whiff of his former glory.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Yeah, there are some revered directors whose work I've never been able to muster up any real enthusiasm for. Of your favourites, Antonioni is one such (with the exception of Blow-up). I might give L'Avventura another go some tme soon...

He's an acquired taste. My original pathway into his work was through Nicholson, my fav actor, and PROFESSIONE: REPORTER when I was a teen. Still my favourite, btw. But then there were great discoveries to be made from there. Now that I've seen all of his films, and written articles on the man and his work, it's made me appreciate him even more. Especially his reliance on places with personality. But yeah -- I realize he's not for everyone. Bergman didn't care much for him either (except for LA NOTTE).

ZODIAC was my favourite film of 2007.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO and GONE GIRL were, also, excellent. GONE GIRL has some the most beautiful cinematography that I've seen in many a good year.

My favourite Fincher film will always be ALIEN³.

I really like Gone Girl too, it was one of my favorite movies of 2014. It had an intriguing script, great cinematography and the score worked really well.

But I do need to re-watch The Social Network though. I only saw it over 10 years ago, when it came out.

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What were the other times?

Willi Bogner's Fire and Ice.

And Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the version with the long boring sequence inside the spaceship. The film started at 23:00 and inside the spaceship I couldn't stay awake. 

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I really like Gone Girl too, it was one of my favorite movies of 2014. It had an intriguing script, great cinematography and the score worked really well.

But I do need to re-watch The Social Network though. I only saw it over 10 years ago, when it came out.

I thought Gone Girl was really absorbing during my second viewing which was years later. The Social Network, while I loved it the first time, didn't hold up as well when I rewatched it. 

14 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My favourite Fincher film will always be ALIEN³.

It's his absolute worst, IMO. And it gets worse after each viewing. A boring video clip a la REM made a young Fincher who took himself over-the-top seriously. And no, I'm not talking about a lack of jokes, but of its self-important, pompous tone.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I fell asleep watching APOLLO 13.

Nuff said...

Too American! Too Richie Cunningham. The docu was better.